What do you think of when you see one of these?

What do you think of when you see one of these?

Attached: the-one.png (1861x946, 365.6K)

Nobody here had one. It's too old (before gen 6), nobody had one when it came out, and NEO GEO / SNK is a bigger name in countries that aren't the United States.

"So how much did it cost you?"
I'm more of a Genesis and Saturn guy myself. Top Hunter and Spin Master are a good time but give me Twinkle Star Sprites on Saturn any day.

Was the Saturn better than the NEO GEO? Putting aside how expensive it was, the Neo Geo was known for some damn good arcade perfect fighters, shmups, beat-em-ups, and arcade sports games. Biggest downfall to me was the lack of RPGs

Yes, without a doubt. Not only were many Neo Geo games released on Saturn without compromise the Saturn had a killer library of titles, many games were superior to the arcade original such as elevator action returns, Sega was putting out top notch titles like Panzer Dragoon and if you like RPGs SNK put out their one RPG on the Saturn and Game Arts put their best RPGs on it as well as the debut and best version of Grandia. It had excellent games like PowerSlave (which until recently its experience remained exclusive to Saturn,) arguably the greatest RPG of all time Panzer Dragoon Saga, superb pinball games like Necronomicon (featuring music by Dreamtheater,) and ridiculously fun games like Die Hard Arcade, Psychic Killer Taromaru and Stellar Assault SS. I've done the numbers and of its library there's around 200 solid titles on the thing.

Just keep in mind I'm very biased because it's my favorite console.

Attached: stellar assault ss.webm (612x320, 2.78M)

Attached: metal-slug-].jpg (557x835, 729.3K)

I never had either, but that comes from me not knowing either one existed until long past their times. During the Saturn's time I had a PS1 and the N64 (I played the 64 infinitely more even though I had more games for the PS1). In hindsight the Saturn may have been cool, but the PS1, which Id consider the Saturns more direct competitor, had Tekken, Need for Speed, Bushido Blade, WWF games, Heart of Darkness, Oddworld, and a myriad of other cool games that never made its way to the Saturn.

Still, it would have been cool to have a Saturn though. I never got a play VF when it was a big and it was probably unbeaten in shmups , rail-shooters,"non-FF" RPGs, and other arcade style games (which I actually do like).

It's a very distinguished console for its pick up and play games. Many titles are 30 minutes to an hour and a half long and are tons of fun to replay. The huge titles like ff7 and ocarina were few and far between but there were still some, it appeals to a third pillar in games which the PS1 dipped into a little, and the N64 barely at all.

Attached: princess crown.webm (440x360, 2.69M)

>Saturn excelled at shorter games with high replay value
This is exactly why I wish I DID have a Saturn. These types of games were more of what you'd find in the SNES/Genesis era and it was/has been missing in the industry today. Problem is nobody is going to pay $60 for a game they can beat in about 2 hours and even if the intention isn't to charge that much for it, publishers and companies wont allow the resources and time needed to work on that which would take away from bigger games that can sell for more money.

All that said, gen 4 and 5 are my all-time favorite generations which the beginning-late middle of gen 7 being next (thanks to the Wii honestly) and gen 6 being close behind thanks to the Dreamcast and games like SSX 3, NFS Underground, and Ninja Gaiden. Also I was really hoping they'd make a Saturn Mini instead of the Mega Drive 2, but apparently that's very difficult and expensive to do and even the emulation scene is still sketchy for it.

How many people actually owned one of these? I am never have met anyone who has ever played one or even know what it is.

insanely overpriced games

I'd say insanely expensive, but not overpriced. You were getting arcade perfect games for the price you were paying for those carts. Of course if that didn't matter, then yeah it's overpriced.

the "lol are you a poooorfaaaaag or what" console of the 90s

When you look at the actual cost of the materials the prices were about right. The console itself was overpriced, really the hardware while better than was fairly similar to the sega genesis which retailed for a third of the price.

>really the hardware while better than was fairly similar to the sega genesis which retailed for a third of the price.

Really? Didn't know that actually. So was it really the cartridges that had the large majority of the power in them?

They had extremely huge ROM chips on two different PCBs inside the cartridges, ROMs were not cheap at almost any capacity and developers did their best to meet certain tiers while SNK basically had a gloves off approach and said fuck it, 32MB games were the baseline.

>ROMs were not cheap
To give a perspective in 1990 this game cost $100 dollars new because it was 8 MB.

Attached: 39214--strider.jfif.jpg (483x680, 116.72K)

8Mb, the lower case b is important because it's 1/8th the size. It's around 1 Megabyte, but 8 Megabits.

>8 mega memory

Attached: st,small,845x845-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg (773x737, 39.16K)

Maybe this would help explain not only why the carts were so expensive, but why SNK didn't really succeed in the console market. It was just so much money that I'm sure SNK probably didn't have but hoped would recoup costs with a thriving arcade scene.

I can only imagine what the equivalent would be for that today. Making a game so big it cost $100 of today's USD on release for the game.

the neogeo was successful for its own market. As a hardware platform it would never capture the audience of snes, genesis. Look at it like this, the last neogeo games (official) were released well after the last snes and genesis games. The platform lived on and even got games after the n64 and saturn gave up.