What's wrong with map icons, how is this a valid criticism?

What's wrong with map icons, how is this a valid criticism?

Just ignore them you fucking mongoloids, you don't feel the need to go to every icon on Google Maps do you

Attached: 1657361837990.jpg (1017x942, 256.34K)

Switchable icons is a great feature, for example, I don't give a fuck about buried treasure or whatever, I can switch it off.
I thin UI customisation is a must have, unfortunately it's so rarely implemented.

There will still be people sperging out about togglable options

Yeah but like all the usual turkish witcher 3 critics you categorize them as mentally ill and move on.

how fucking autistic do you have to be to think that people only have a problem with the icons themselves and not how it affects the world design?

Without this shit game designers were forced to add clues and things like journay/dialogues instruction that would lead the player towards interesting content in the game
In things like Witcher 3 lazy devs just add 1000 markers and idiots later say
>B-b-but you can toggle it off!
Yeah you can toggle it off and you are left without any cluess or direction where to find shit in the world.
Like in the Morrowind, NPCs were telling you detailed direction where to go, in Skyrim you are just getting big pointer above the head. Yeah, you can turn off the pointer but every quest is designed about you having the pointer turned on so there isnt any way left to find shit except stumbling upon it on random

The problem isn't with map icons as such. It's what's behind the icons and how icons are used. They become a checklist to work on instead of experiences organically woven into the gameworld. It's a problem with how open world games are designed in general. There is an obligation to provide content to justify the size of a game world (i.e. so it doesn't feel empty), but filling that world with really good content would take an immense effort. Therefore, we get icons instead and relatively mundane content that we can simply do one after the other or not care about at all. Witcher 3 actually does a fairly good job at still making all the icons interesting (aside from all the floating bullshit around Skellige), but games like Assassin's Creed, where you have multiple instances of "open chest here" are at the worse end of the spectrum.

There's also that icons make it much easier to navigate a game world. That can lead developers to just give you those markers instead of writing good dialogue or quest entries that describe where you have to go. Again, this has to do with an organic game experience. Icons take you out of the immersion. Personally, I prefer not having to find my way in a game world because I just can't into navigating in a virtual world, but I can see why others would like less reliance on icons and fast travel.

I did every single question mark in Velen/Novigrad, but I will NEVER do any question mark in Skellige that is not on land. Fuck that bullshit

Attached: 1647003824087.jpg (976x850, 61.9K)

babby doesnt like swimming and using crossbow

No shit. Swimming is the worst part of the game

Playing for the first time and I finally finished all the Velen question marks at level 19.

I go do the remaining 8 or so question marks in Novigrad, and I pick up some fucking notes on a notice board in some town, and suddenly Novigrad gets like 40 new fucking question marks, all of which are like level 35

Fucking hell I was hoping I was about to clear everything, and then the game showers me with more places of interest. Already been playing this game for 50 hours and I did not even visit skellige yet.

Attached: 1578348855540.jpg (313x286, 16.52K)

Do the actual side quests and ignore the question marks until you've finished or are close to finishing the main game. You don't want to get burned out on side-side content of varying quality. You also still have the addons, both of which are arguably better than almost all of the main game and one of them, Blood and Wine, is pretty large in itself. I put about 250 hours into the game and did all of the question marks except the ones in the sea around Skellige because they're just caches with not even a hint of story attached to them.

>You don't want to get burned out on side-side content of varying quality.
The games length really makes the case for hiding question marks from the map. Do things as you discover them in the wild and around the hubs and dont go around chasing the map markers.

Maps are cool, too many markers make maps look ugly.
I like cool maps, not ugly maps.
Simple as

Yeah. You can leave them on if it doesn't bother you and just do some of them as you naturally get to those locations on side or main quests, but chasing them or constantly going off track from other quests to do them is a good recipe for not actually playing the good parts of the game.

>get octopath traveller
>5 minutes in
>Hur dur story related things will be indicated as green on the map and the radar
>completely sucks away my desire to play and explore
Its a fucking hallway simulator with some towns in-between. Why take away what little exploration there is? Now instead of walking through a town and talking to people I can just beeline it to the character I need to talk to. What a waste.

>don't discover side quest until much later in the game when I'm a high level
>receive literally one XP point for finishing it
Witcher 3 is such a shit game

XP is a non-issue in Witcher anyway.

>if i dont get xp i dont get my dopamine rush
take a break, go out in the sun. touch some grass. get help for your addiction.

>JUST IGNORE IT
Not an argument.

Devs won't change how they design the world anyway

How is it any different from BotW adding a million koroks whose proximity is signaled by a chime

if you turn off magic gps and map markers the game stops working, now you can't find anything because game was designed with those in mind

The fuck are these little banners/flags? I don't remember them from my playthrough...
and I have more than 450hrs played

>The problem isn't with map icons as such. It's what's behind the icons and how icons are used. They become a checklist to work on instead of experiences organically woven into the gameworld.
No they don't, this is your personal mental illness

I think maps shouldn't autofill at all, you should draw your own maps, can't draw well? buy one from another player who CAN draw.
Yes, make maps actual items that you can trade, this way you can not only make maps an economic thing, but you can buy the maps that best suit you, as detailed or as minimalistic as you want.

You should then be able to copy your own designed maps, for trading purposes, but not ones made by others, you can however edit maps made by others with pins for things such as vendors or whatnot, pins that you design yourself, or buy designs from other people.