How would star fox 3 have played?

Assuming star fox 2 got released as originally planned.

Attached: star-fox-2.gif (1080x608, 67.84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/1n7ZKMjVfmu5
shmuplations.com/starfoxadventures/
archive.org/details/Starfox64NintendoPowerOfficialStrategyGuide/page/n117/mode/2up
web.archive.org/web/20030417181227/http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ngc/gsaj/history/index.html)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It'd be Star Fox 64 except not a hard reboot. Miyu and Fay take the place of Bill and Katt. Andross' forces are again, go beat them up. Star Wolf / final boss / Venom endgame may be handled differently since it may or may not have followed up on Wolf swearing revenge after retreating to Andross' chagrin.

Star Fox 64 is literally just Star Fox 3 outside of the fact that it's a retelling of the first game. Follows the usual Nintendo "rule of three":

>star fox: the one that starts it all (smb1, loz1, metroid 1, etc)
>star fox 2: the oddball one (smb2, loz2, metroid 2, etc)
>star fox 64: returns to the formula of the first one and refines it to perfection (smb3, alttp, super metroid)

I guess that's true. I still wonder how the story could have continued from 2

RARE LEAKED AUDIO FROM STAR FOX 3 VOICE CAST FOUND!!!
vocaroo.com/1n7ZKMjVfmu5

Attached: fayburrito.png (361x798, 122.14K)

>hard reboot

Pardon my autism but I never really understood why people still view 64 as this. Nintendo never officially stated that SF64 was meant to be a complete story reset or in its own separate continuity, it was always described by NCL staff as just a remake or a complete, definitive version of Star Fox 1.

shmuplations.com/starfoxadventures/
archive.org/details/Starfox64NintendoPowerOfficialStrategyGuide/page/n117/mode/2up

Which makes sense, there literally wasn't anything to even "reboot" back then, it was just one game and its sequel that got stuck in limbo for 20 years.

Even the Japanese website for Star Fox Adventures (web.archive.org/web/20030417181227/http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ngc/gsaj/history/index.html) had a chronological timeline for the series up to that point and you'll notice that both Star Fox AND Star Fox 64 are slotted on the same spot covering the Lylat Wars. Obviously 64's the more definitive and canonical recollection of it but that doesn't really mean the SNES game isn't canon or in its own timeline, either.

Even the last two games of the so called "64 timeline", Assault and Command, had a lot of elements that were previously only in SF1, like Fortuna and the Monarch Dodora. Command in general features lots of other visual references to SF1, like the interstellar sea life and the health supply rings being reverted back into their triangular appearance. Even the opening prologue contains a tribute to the old SF1 puppet promo art. Which further emphasizes that SF1 and SF64 were really just meant to be two sides of the same coins as opposed to outright separate continuities like so many people believe.

Attached: sfcsnes.png (256x192, 45.72K)

Attached: 004837493_008294421_ZPcC8xAXu.jpg (1383x1578, 1.5M)

Several important things there:
1) The word "reboot" wasn't in common use back then. These days "remake" is a specific thing, but back then up until fairly recently "remake" was used much more broadly. To wit, Star Fox 64 only shares one boss (Attack Crusher), and two similar bosses (Rock/Meteo Crusher and 1st form Andross); it shares NONE of the same levels (only themes and location names), nearly NONE of the same regular enemies, almost NONE of the same hazards, and has a fairly different tone and different enough gameplay. Only the "Lylat Wars" story outline is the same, and even then...
2) ...The base SNES game has its own expanded lore via the Star Fox Mission File Printout, aka the official Shogakukan guide advertised in the Super Famicom version manual, and it has details similar to the Nintendo Power comic that render it incompatible with later established background such as Fox's father, "Fox Sr.", investigating a smiling asteroid on a routine patrol only to get sucked into Andross' experimental warp zone. Even if you ignore all that and stick with the simpler base game...
3) ...The Star Fox: Assault manual contains the series chronology up to that point and only mentions Star Fox 64. That includes the Japanese version, too.
If you squint, you could've stuck with the supposed Adventures expanation, but the introduction of Star Fox Zero and now the official release of Star Fox 2 mean you have to take a lot of liberties with canon.

Attached: Silpheed101.png (859x216, 63.71K)

Why would someone draw this?

>and now the official release of Star Fox 2 mean you have to take a lot of liberties with canon.
Star fox 2 takes place after 1 though I don't think there's any drastic changes that retconned 1

>2) ...The base SNES game has its own expanded lore via the Star Fox Mission File Printout, aka the official Shogakukan guide advertised in the Super Famicom version manual, and it has details similar to the Nintendo Power comic that render it incompatible with later established background such as Fox's father, "Fox Sr.", investigating a smiling asteroid on a routine patrol only to get sucked into Andross' experimental warp zone. Even if you ignore all that and stick with the simpler base game

Honestly Itoh's Nintendo Power comics were never really compatible/canon with the SNES titles themselves to begin with. I mean Itoh literally wrote it so that Andross was trying to get back at Corneria for blowing up his foster parents, when in Imamura's canon it was always that he was just pushing his experiments too far and thus Pepper and the dogs of Corneria were afraid of them to the point where they eventually banished him. Other stuff like how Titania was always inherently a snow world and not a desert planet with a weather control device.

> but the introduction of Star Fox Zero and now the official release of Star Fox 2 mean you have to take a lot of liberties with canon.

Honestly the only thing Zero (which was always described as a mere "reimagining" of 64 and not really a hard reboot or separate continuity, either) really "retcons" is the conflict of Command due to its changes to Venom (which is now a teleportation device, tying it into the old SNES/64 lore of Andross mastering dangerous interdimensional technology), pretty much everything else about the actual story/lore is exactly as it was in 64. Star Fox 2 is also really its own weird thing because it was made before 64 was developed and revised certain things about the universe that would mold future games and came out twenty years after the fact, it's just in a weird spot.

Attached: androsspigs.png (392x308, 303.28K)

To be fair this was during the early 90s when Nintendo didn't even know if star fox was going to be just a one off title or an actual series, and Nintendo typically wasn't known at all for stories and world building in their games. I do wish Fara was in the games though. Would have been nice for a sexy test pilot to appear in training modes.

Also in regards to tone, I think SF1 and SF64 only really seem different in terms of tone because of mere hardware limitations: (flat shaded models and sprites limited to 15 colors with three shades of blue, orange and grey + instrument samples limited to 64kb of memory at once and 5-6 channels for music to save space for laserfire and engine sounds on the SPC700 vs. having to make small textures to fit into the N64's 4 KB texture cache and sound driver ran by the RCP-NUS allowing for more polyphony and higher quality instruments).

I think an interesting comparison one could make with 64, and Zero for that matter, in comparison to SF1 is Super Castlevania IV. It too is a retelling of the original NES game that is also effectively a whole new game with its own levels and bosses that just re-uses the original framework.

Attached: Super_Castlevania_IV_North_American_SNES_box_art.png (368x271, 177.31K)

Like assault but good.

I never got the complaint of the series keep rehashing the first game since like you said besides a similar plot premise they're otherwise a completely different games.

Wasn't star fox 2 already like assault but good?

>really "retcons" is the conflict of Command due to its changes to Venom

And the funny thing about this is that Command itself is already a giant retcon because it establishes that Venom suddenly has acidic seas that we've seen before or after. They could of retconned them onto Venom in 64 3D but they didn't bother.

I think the overall point here is that Star Fox has never been fucking consistent with itself, even back from 1997-2006 when we were getting direct story sequels back to back. The rules of the universe have always changed based purely on the whims on what the game devs thought would be cool at the time, so in that sense shit like Zero and SF2 actually being released haven't really changed anything.

Attached: anglaremperor.png (363x362, 349.66K)

2 was 64 lite if anything. Assault only really shares what 64 built up with the all range stuff.

>2 was 64 lite if anything.
Wouldn't the opposite be the case since 64 barely does much work all range while star fox 2 has a whole strategy mechanic built around it?

2’s stuff was barebones. There’s a reason you can finish the game in under 30 min. 64 made it an actual worthwhile thing and then Command perfected what 2 was aiming for. look, all I’m trying to say is Assault is garbage. I’ve given that game so many replays hoping maybe this time I’ll see what people like but there is zero charm there and it plays like shit with an even shittier fanfic attached to it.

>Andross studies warpspace engineering in SNES and Zero instead of bioweapons in 64.
>Andross form is different in the three - he's computerized himself in SNES (though the guide implies this is not the real one but 2 retcons this), 64 he made himsef a bioweapon, Zero he uses illusions but is actually mechanical.
>Venom is similar in SNES and 64 but starts terraforming in 2 whereas it stays the same in 64 sequels; in Zero, it's planetoid that basically only houses Andross' illusory space.
>Fox's father has a different name in SNES and disappeared under different circumstances according to official Japanese guide instead of Venomian mission in 64 and Zero.
>Star Fox, according to Japanese guide, isn't quite the same - it's an elite rogue unit that's more of a ragtag gang than explicitly mercenary. Characters have different profiles and ages; for example, Peppy is described as the "mascot" instead of Slippy (he's also more "peppy") and Slippy doesn't seem to have mechanical expertise or connections. 2 has a "Mothership" that's not the trademark Great Fox (although resembles Command's Great Fox),and is seemingly piloted by other Star Fox members rather than ROB.
>Star Wolf has no known ties to Star Fox in SNES 2 and Andrew is Algy; you know the drill in 64/main; in Zero, Pigma is said to be a "volunteer" rather than an actual fulltime Star Fox member when he betrayed James.
>Sector Y has spacefaring marine life only in SNES.
>Dinosaur Planet is Fortuna in SNES; in 64 sequels, Dinosaur Planet is Sauria; Zero's animated short says that Sauria exists but Fortuna is the Primordial Planet (64 has a new icy planet named Fichina mistranslated as Fortuna in English).
>In SNES, the weather control device is on Titania; in 64 sequel, it's on Fichina; Titania went from snowy to desert.
>Macbeth is volcanic on SNES; it's more for mining on 64.
>Monarch Dodora is said to be a cyborg on SNES, is a golem in 64 sequel, and robotic in Zero.
>Miyu/Fay never joined outside 2.

Attached: MFP.png (458x269, 176.53K)

I get what you mean now.