What is the general consensus here on Skyward Sword?

What is the general consensus here on Skyward Sword?

I'm playing through it right now. My friend had a copy of it and I had never played it and out of the blue just decided to start knowing nothing about it and honestly I'm really pleasantly surprised. I'm only about halfway through the game, beaten the first 3 temples and was really surprised how good the dungeon design and boss design has been so far. The motion controls on the switch aren't bad at all, the gyro is annoying for some things like the leaf blower for example, and the Deku babas are just annoying to fight with the gyro. Of course you can turn it off but the game is more fun with it honestly.

Attached: 91oL98JUm9L._SL1500_.jpg (1039x1500, 265.33K)

general consensus is that its the worst one because of the motion controls, padding, and corridor overworld design, but it has really good dungeons and a lot of good individual moments/ideas
none of the 3d zeldas are outright bad. if this was a different IP it would be a cult classic

It seems like the sky area is just a disappointment in general in my experience so far. It's so empty, there's just not much there and yet the game seems like it was heavily promoted on this premise of flying around in the sky, but there's only like 3-4 places to actually visit there. The pumpkin place, the main town (skyloft) and 2 minigame areas. That's pretty much it. Really disappointing.

The dungeons are worth it though, the third dungeon alone was one of my favorite Zelda dungeons I've ever played.

Yeah it's a huge corridor for the most part, there's no fixing that. Motion controls were shit but thanks to the Switch version this shit can be ignored completely.
Great dungeons.
Good game, liked it better than Twilight Princess.

Forgot to add I also enjoyed the story and the side quests.

I hope you're playing the Switch version. It fixes some stuff people disliked about the Wii version.

I am enjoying it a lot, the controls are kind of gimmicky in some places but overall pretty smooth. Obviously the switch gyro is much better than the Wii motion+.

I actually like how the game actually makes use of link's different attacks too, for example some enemies require a stab or a horizontal / verticals swing to damage them which just adds a little tiny but more complexity than the typical Zelda game where you just mash attack or jump attacks regardless of the enemy.

better then breath of the wild

I enjoyed it but it was extremely padded. You could easily shave off 10-20 hours off of the game and it would be more enjoyable.
Not even close to the worst console zelda game though the controls do get in the way.

I didn't hate it. The soundtrack and dungeons were nice, plus it has one of the best bosses in the series.

Followed the Zelda cycle.
Vocal minority autistically screeched it was shit until BOTW came out. Then we were free to finally discuss what's an objectively decent game, albeit flawed. Motion controls are love 'em or hate 'em.

The game is really good, and very overhated. Its got indeed the best dungeons and item usage in the series, great bosses, and great characters moments. SS does suffer from too much repetition by the final part of the game. But its very fun. I also never had trouble with the motion controls, they are pretty well implemented in everything except the flying. Which thankfully can be avoided in the Switch version and just change to button controls

Any fag who says the motion controls made it unplayable were just parroting what fatasses were saying when they found out they had to move their arms to play. I loved the motion controls; it was the best part of the game and made me feel like Link. The boss fights using them were amazing. It's just that the rest of the game fucking sucked.

Don't mind me, just posting the best redemption arc seen in a Zelda game. Carry on, lads.

Attached: 1632479346435.jpg (800x600, 124.09K)

it was garbage 10 years ago and it's garbage still today.
The whole reason behind BotW's success was how much of a flop SS was.

I enjoyed the game, but Fi really dragged it down. She never shut the hell up and kept telling you obvious shit you already knew.

>months ago
>post webm related on Any Forums because I thought it was funny
>sperg jumps me
>"FUCKING HATER WHY DO YOU TRY TO BREAK THE GAME"
Some of you are mentally ill, you know.

Attached: 1567159172095.webm (1024x576, 2.8M)

It was the only 3D Zelda game so bad that the team who makes 3D Zelda games stepped back after, collected themselves, and said 'we can't just keep doing this'. And they haven't, for nearly a decade.

Even the worst Zelda game is better than 99% of all video games.

Attached: 1557048321135.jpg (764x764, 134.47K)

It killed the Zelda Cycle, you mean.

It didn't use every advantage offered to it as a Wii game and instead decided to be a showcase for a gyro add-on, essentially adding another learning curve for the developers at the end of the console's life cycle.
The IR cursor was objectively a better means of pointing at things on screen and it was ditched completely, most of the available Wiimote controls and your in-game abilities remained untouched for slow motion control segments in combat and in flight.

Imagine a Zelda game on DS with the main mechanic being your ability to close the DS. That is roughly the equivalent to the sword combat in this game. It is neat the first time it happens but it doesn't really bear repeating.

You don't have to move all that much with motion controls, the controls just had a weird relationship between the gyro and the accelerometer that pretended to translate your motions into sword swings. That said my right shoulder still makes noises when I pop it a certain way after fighting Ghirahim years later because of the desyncing controls and subsequently required shaking.

you say for nearly a decade as if more than one mainline game came out since

This. Zelda and Mario games are always good. Compared to other games in their genre, but not always the best in their own franchise.

Well they didn't stop after BotW, collect themselves, and say 'we can't just keep doing this'. They said 'holy shit, we have to do so much more of this'. I'll take an inspired team over one just running through the motions any day of the week.