It's a shame. They've added a ton of content to this game, but the planets are still fundamentally boring...

It's a shame. They've added a ton of content to this game, but the planets are still fundamentally boring. Every desert planet has the same cactuses. 90% of animals look the same. All herbivores act the same. Barely any planets have predators. They've fixed the issue of the game lacking direction, but the core appeal -exploration - is still lacking. Explore for an hour, and you've pretty much seen everything.

Attached: download (25).jpg (225x225, 16.48K)

This game is the epitome of the phrase "wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle".

Not just because of it being a universe with repetitive planet gen, but the core gameplay is so lacking in depth that the grinding sets in after an hour or two of playing. The sad part is, it's not really a fixable problem. No matter how many new features they add, the game itself is fundamentally flawed and will never live up to the expectations set when you hear that it's an universe in a game.

That's why I'm waiting for the next major update before jumping back in. I want more exploration.

>mine ores to upgrade to mine new ores
>mine new ores to upgrade to mine new ores

>They've fixed the issue of the game lacking direction
there is still no direction faggot
>They've added a ton of content to this game
shitty mmo missions and shitty minigames
> it's not really a fixable problem
could be done if it had an actual campaign
not a story that's just a long tutorial
it's going to be more mmo shit

you actually don't have to do this anymore. now you grind the same 5 mmo missions.

This in itself isn't a bad core gameplay loop when done well - look at Minecraft. I don't care about the opinions of current Minecraft, the fact is that in alpha and early beta it was a revolutionary game and the core gameplay is better than the sum of its parts. One of the big mistakes No Man's Sky makes is that the crafting recipes (or "blueprints" as NMS calls it), are not all available to you from the get-go - you have to trade to unlock them. This means that obtaining many of the basic construction objects requires grinding for salvage data.

The core gameplay of NMS just isn't very good, and their attempts to 'fix' it have only made things worse by relying on the exploitable economy and passive missions more.

There should be much rarer resources and minerals available only on particular planets, the game should lean HARD on exclusively gathering the most prized resources from planets, and the gating for progression should ride almost solely on what you're able to obtain whilst hopping between the planets with the mining and harvesting systems being the focus. But they just don't really do this

I don't understand the developer autism with making everything an economy-based system.

>>could be done if it had an actual campaign
It has one, it's around 20 hours in length and isn't very good.

It'd help if the missions were actually engaging. Just let me be a bounty hunter ffs.

it is a tutorial, not a campaign

Another issue is that the crafting recipes are utterly unengaging and meaningless. Sure, it's sci-fi, so something like "I'm gonna cobble together some sticks and iron bricks to make a pickaxe" wouldn't fly, but still – I just click in the inventory on buttons with pictures of "something" because some thing tells me it needs them so that I can click on other buttons.

It's a campaign, it was just added so long ago that the other features didn't exist yet
That, and using the refiners to craft is boring

Does it still take about 20 years to actually get a good planet? That was why I stopped playing. It took way too long to even begin to find a planet that wasn't an irradiated and/or frozen piece of shit. And then the planets that I discovered got the names that I gave them taken away? What kind of bullshit was that?

it's not a fucking campaign, it's a fucking tutorial with a short story tacked on
every planet looks the same anyway

it's supposed to be a campaign the devs just suck at game design

>There should be much rarer resources and minerals available only on particular planets
you have to do this now and it sucks

it could be fun if they improved mining and crafting/refining. Rare resources are the reason to explore other planets to begin with.

>get atlas pass v3 early
>the things you get a completely worthless

is there actually a way to progress as a pirate or just adventuring yet or is everything still hard locked into crafting and farming

there is a pirate station but all you can do is the same 4 mmo missions

Where is the update, Sean?