To this day, Phantasy Star Online still has the best combat in any "MMORPG."

To this day, Phantasy Star Online still has the best combat in any "MMORPG."
>spacing during combat is important
>movement has a learning curve, and while it's "clunky," mastery can contribute to evasion and efficiency
>no dodge-rolling so defensive stats matter even more
>stats are actually crucial to growth and can be felt (e.g. EVA, ACC, and DEF)
>gear matters - you'll need to switch things around and hold on to different pieces for different zones and enemies
>you can ungabunga the game with your overpowered short sword, but you're likely to get your shit rocked if you don't switch weapons
>enemies might be recycled and see constant reskins, but each one has different stagger thresholds that you have to memorize and learn if you're running melee
>said stagger thresholds also change depending on what weapon you're using, and differrent weapon types recovery might better suit shorter thresholds
>classes and races have a significant impact on playstyle, with differing stats, proficiencies, and access to things like traps or magic
The biggest fault of the game is that gunners just shit all over anything, but it's still more involved than anything that's come since.

Also, the music and atmosphere rocks:
youtu.be/pxDP6RI-DMI
youtu.be/eBpTi90UvMI
youtu.be/mVxx5bfJ2Bo
youtu.be/FMjxrCovPGs

Attached: psobb.jpg (1600x1200, 210.19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YXWI82eN1tk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I agree. Great game. My all time favourite.

I love PSO and have purchased and played every single official iteration of it, but the combat itself is it's weakest point.

>Slow down automatically when close enough to lock onto enemy
>Dodging consists of attacking once and walking to the side for their counterattack
>Gear matters until you get your best weapon at level 70 and never change it again

Based, PSO2 was such a downgrade from this title.

>Slow down automatically when close enough to lock onto enemy
I think a manual lockdown wouldn't hurt, and it's definitely something you need to adjust to, but it's really only an issue when you want to run by a group of enemies or you're an inch off from locking on to an enemy with your non-AOE weps.
>Dodging consists of attacking once and walking to the side for their counterattack
I mean, you could do that, yeah. But not only is that boring, but it's less efficient than learning the enemy's patterns and resistances. Some enemy variants are less resistant/more likely to get staggered by Pistols while others are more receptive to Halberds or Knives. That's of course, without mentioning combos (which differ in their effect and order, again, depending on the enemy).

They specifically created the Satellite Lizard enemies in Episode 4 to address the Ranger problem. Motherfuckers are completely immune to all projectile attacks other than magic so Rangers either have to swap to a melee weapon or have a Hunter friend deal with them.

PSU was an improvement on the combat, but PSO still had a more fun diversity of gear. Not like they're in competition.

oh I didn't think about that since I always had a melee weapon even as a range just in case "it was needed"
That's pretty clever.
Damn I now I wanna play this again.

There's some jank with the game that should be addressed, like the fact that having too HIGH of elemental resists will get you unavoidably instagibbed against the final boss due to the low individual damage on multihit elemental attacks will remove the usual iframes on getting hit, or the fact that the EXP scaling is so fucking wack that it takes longer to go from 185-200 than it does to get to 185 in the first place.

The music really was great, I'll never forget the character creation menu music playing as me and my bros made characters to play all night at a sleepover

youtube.com/watch?v=YXWI82eN1tk
This game was my first introduction to the idea of dynamic music tracks

>To this day, Phantasy Star Online still has the best combat in any "MMORPG."
Nah. Nope. Nuh uh. And I've played that game for thousands of hours across multiple consoles and pc and the ds if you want to count Zero.

Name one (1) MMO with better combat.

pso2

Hahahahaha
Ohohohohoho
Ehehehehehe

PSO isn't an MMO, OP even has that part in quotations. Also, I've never played an MMO. But I have played an absolute dickload of PSO as stated.

how do i get into PSO? it seems so unfriendly for new players but it looks so fun to play co-op with friends

Attached: 102.jpg (976x650, 195.4K)

Good grief, talk about shit taste. I have a hard time believing this isn't a shit post.

>how do i get into PSO?
You don't. You legitimately needed to be there in 2001 for DC or 2002 for GC/XBOX, though even by those releases it was too late. Damn near anybody playing the game today played it 20 years ago and know the ins & outs (and potentially play on private servers which alter the original rules of the game). Speaking of private servers they're fragmented and empty as all hell. Shit used to be packed on consoles because there were only the official servers and thus the place was flooded with everyone who played the game.

Came back to play recently with the classic mode on ephinea. Having no developed economy makes the game a lot more fun.

I’ll be you fren :)

>roll fonewm
>nuke everything
>if anything doesn't die to nuke, use light bomb spell

Fuck yo stats nigga I put it all into mind

Fuck ep2 though. I refuse to step on that shithole without at least a +40hit hell pistol

Just beat EP1 on Normal, around Lv30. Should I play EP2 on Hard or Normal?

Fuck Blue Burst, for one. Being that it was online-only, the geniuses at Sonic Team decided to remove the nerfs on enemy stats/count when playing solo. I had played many hours offline & online on DC & GC and when BB came out and I gave it a try and discovered this, I quickly noped out. Gonna ask me to start the same game for a third time and not let me enjoy some simpler solo play? Fuck off.

Depends on your class but I would say normal since ep2 is a lot harder than 1.

Best ID for RACAST on ephinea?

Please give me AotL chapter 3 and allow me to have houses on other worlds.
That's all I want. I love PSU2 so much.
Zer0 would be could too, but the DS is a frozen console at this point.

I fucking hate that ever since online gaming is commonplace, they never remastered that game. It was so fucking fun but going online was absurdly difficult in the gamecube days.

I would buy AND pay a monthly sub for a remake

lol you are not ready for ep2

it is legit an enormous difficulty spike

Althought i've never palyed dragon's dogma online, i've heard good thing about it.

THe thing with PSO is that i don't consider it a mmo, it's really just an online lobby-based game.
Would you call diablo 2 a mmo?

You're being retarded. When creating a room you have an option literally called solo mode.

EP2 is ridiculously harder than EP1

EP1 Hard = EP2 Normal

>The biggest fault of the game is that gunners just shit all over anything

I mean you're right, but HUcast also exists

Attached: PSOTL.png (519x413, 132.53K)

Finally glad to see someone else say this. PSU had a lot of problems changing up the formulas, but combat was at least going in the right direction. I skipped pso2 and went straight to PSONG and it felt like actual dog shit.

they'd make a ngs out of it

That's a nice way of putting it but in reality it's just fucking boring.

Ephinea private server, just play in One Player Mode and go through some of the story.

You could also just jump into multiplayer, but it could be a bit overwhelming at first.