What happened to 3D platformers?

What happened to 3D platformers?

Attached: 336B96FE-5698-4549-BE1E-2E3C72ED7484.jpg (1284x903, 134.11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=utTt0su6WMM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nintendo seems to be the only ones able to pull them off. The only good ones I can think of off the top of my head are the 3d Mario games and Banjo Kazooie.

I've been sayin this for years. The shift towards collectathons and industry trending towards shooters strangled 3d platforming in the crib. Sad.

Spyro? Sure the platforming is pretty easy compared to its 2d counterparts in precious gems, but it's still good imho. I never played Mario 64 or Banjo, although I thought conkers bfd had pretty good platforming (good if only slightly more involved than spyro).

DK64 is more collectashit than a platformer.

A hat in Time's creator shat on this game, that means it is good

It was just too much of a collect-a-thon. It was less of a fun adventure platformer and more just a treasure hunt.
One of the reasons I like Conkers is the fact it isn't a collect-a-thon

Zoomer revisionism. Game's great.

You need mascots to make these games.
Sony and MS don't have mascots because they've tried to cultivate the gamer image into something adult; adults have money.

There's this guy I used to know and he would talk about this game like it was the last good game that was ever created. I don't see him anymore.

>Last level, have to complete a series of those Bonus barrel stages or whatever, there's a countdown going down before a large laser fires and game overs you.
>Decide to save time by not collecting the banana medallions, because the animations are like 5-8 seconds long and the timer is still going down, no idea how much time I actually have to spare
>Go back to collect the medallions after doing it all
>They've turned transparent and cannot collect them
>Never was able to get that true 100% completion as a result.

Attached: DK'sInThisIsGon'BeBananas.png (567x436, 344.92K)

I remember my Grandparents got me this game for my birthday. Promptly sold it. Pure piece of shit. Kept the expansion pack though.

>Did you enjoy your Danky Kang game?
Yes grandma it was great thank you so much (no).

>DK64 was well-received at the time and sold well
>it wasn't being shat on until the whole "collectathon is bad game design" meme got widespread, same with the "dk64 killed collectathons" thing
>The "forced to switch" argument is always brought up by idiots that feel the urge to collect everything the moment they see something of a different color instead of focusing on their kong
>the only moments you're forced to switch is when you have to open sections of the world like in Gloomy Galleon, Fungi Forest or Crystal Caves, and that takes seconds to do.
>game takes like 20hrs to be beaten, so retards saying "i dont have time to collect shit" cant bitch about that
>too much shit to collect when the game doesnt even require that much shit to be beaten
>only valid criticisms are the vast amount of barrel minigames when you could have platforming challenges or how most of the kong's abilites are used to open doors or activate switches instead of using them in fun ways (gorilla gone, gorilla grab and monkeyport are probably the most useless abilities in the game).

DK64 is a great game, you can not like it and that's fine but saying the game killed a genre or shit like that is ridiculous, collectathons and 3d platformers died because devs focused more on shitty gta clones, fps or more "serious" projects while the few platformers being released were full of dumb shit like combat mechanics, third-person shooting, more story-focused or vehicle-driving to appeal to kids obsessed with GTA while the core collecting/platforming was less important.

Attached: CK64.png (842x781, 713.51K)

My biggest gripe isn't the amount of collectables, it's the minigames. They all feel so disjointed from the main game.

youtube.com/watch?v=utTt0su6WMM

I never understood why they replaced Dixie with Tiny Kong

DK64 Is kino and im tired of pretending it's not Hopefully the next DK game is 3D and not yet another 2D platformer.

We literally just got Kirby which was fantastic

People decided puzzles were too hard to make so instead they became voice acting cutscene games where you sometimes jump

I started your shill vid.

I always hated this game, I could not understand what critics were raving about. It was a chore simulator before service games. For every 10 minutes of compelling tight gameplay you had hours of slog.

Early in dev that had a weird order not to use anything post DKC1, so Dixie and Kiddy got replaced with Tiny and Chunky.

Eventually that changed but its why there's only a handful of DKC2 and 3 enemies and Wrinkly Kong was relegated to a menu and Swanky was left out, outright.