Load save

>load save
>see pic related
>close game

please factoriobros help me sort my shit out

and i thought logistic pack was a substantial increase in complexity from automation, turns out chemical packs are way more complex, i guess each subsequent pack will exponentially more complex than the last one

also Factorio thread i guess

Attached: bestfactory.jpg (980x607, 734.77K)

just work with it mate
keep adding to the spaghetti or make a new factory somewhere else in the world and abandon your current factory

unironically just keep going, spaghetti is more fun than main bus

Giving yourself some room to design things can help the layout feel less cluttered/like you're forced into squeezing buildings wherever they'll fit. That's an aesthetic, of course, and if you're comfortable with it then go wild. What in particular are you having trouble with?

I found good success with adopting the mindset that certain directions are for certain purposes. I used south as materials input, with north being used to extend production lines for the individual items, and east and west being used to provide space for different assembly lines. It made things much easier, and is fairly space efficient. It also helped making ingredients flow north, and products back south, where they could be fed back in as ingredients. These principles let me build all the types of science without it getting too unwieldy.

i cant figure out train figure rail signals (traffic lights)

i absolutely cant understand the logic circuit system is

im making too much iron

im getting into nuculear power a bit too early i think

and most importantly: how do i make chemical science packs without it looking like pic related

just keep playing and you'll get better at all of it, or put it down and come back in a month and try a new run.

>cant figure out train figure rail signals
You're certainly not the first. Unless you want to do super precise, complex things with it, it's really not very hard once you get a handle on things. Could probably dedicate at least one full post to this.

>cant understand the logic circuit system
Now this can get more complex. Do you have any familiarity with boolean logic or computer systems? Because that's basically what factorio's logic systems are. Could probably dedicate several posts to this, and even I don't think I'm a master with it.

>im making too much iron
No such thing. You are not consuming enough iron.

>getting into nuculear power a bit too early
Might be an issue if you intend to use it as your only power source and you don't have the infrastructure to support it consistently. Otherwise, that's not really a problem. The component pieces are expensive, I guess, so you may want to hold off until making 50 heat pipes doesn't break the bank. Nuclear is very very strong, though.

>how do i make chemical science packs without it looking like pic related
If you want nice, orderly factories, you're going to want to design for modularity (and therefore extensibility), and you're going to want an idea of how much of each resource you want to make per second/minute. Figure out your ratios. Blue science takes 24 seconds to complete 1 crafting cycle and produces 2 science packs, or in other words one assembly machine makes 1/12 of a science pack per second, adjusted for crafting speed. From there you can figure out how many of each component you'll need per second, working back towards the raw materials. There are online calculator tools people have made to ease this process, though I've never used them myself.

Basic rail signals are quite simple. Rail signals divide a rail network into sections. A rail signal is only concerned about its own section, which begins at the rail signal itself, and ends at the next rail signal (or multiple if you have forks in your system). A rail signal asks "Is there any part of a train in my section?" If the answer is yes, the signal turns red and prevents any trains from entering its section. If the answer is no, trains are free to enter, although as soon as a train does enter the signal will turn red again.

A very easy exercise to understand this would be to create a simple rail loop with two rail signals on opposite sides and drive a train around the loop manually. Note that trains are right-hand drive with respect to signals or stations, so if you put the signals on the outside of the loop your trains driving direction should be counter-clockwise, and if you put them on the inside, clockwise. As you drive the train past a signal, it should turn red, and stay red until you pass the next signal, which will in turn become red.

Factorio is just frustrating busywork.

I have 450 hours into the game and I still don't understand or give a shit about circuit systems. I hear they only have a few niche uses anyway, mostly for oil cracking to keep your oil production from bottlenecking. Trains aren't necessary until late late game when the nearest patches are absurdly far away. Use belts until then. You probably won't need nuclear until some time inbetween purple and yellow science, but I don't think it hurts either to get that ball rolling. Try to get 40x u-35 to start Kovarex enrichment.

For blue science, you need way more green circuit assemblers to make reds. You should have about the same number of engine assemblers as you have blue science assemblers, and aim for at least 12 plastic chemical plants for red circuits, because you'll never have enough of them, and by extension aim for an insane number of green circuits. Devote multiple entire patches of iron and copper solely to mass circuit production. They're the final boss of Factorio and you'll never have enough.

Purple science is actually less complicated as the jump from green to blue, but it takes a crap load of steel and red circuits. Again, go literal ape shit with circuit production.

>i absolutely cant understand the logic circuit system is
For a more casual playthrough these aren't needed at all. At most you'll want one for your nuclear reactor because it will waste resources otherwise. Maybe use that as a practice and figure out how they work. Leave the other parts of your factory without one and go back to them once you're more experienced.

>>load save
>>see pic related
>>close game
KEK'd

>get red/green science set-up
>get overwhelmed
>reinstall months later
>get red/green science set-up

It's like playing the first Pokemon gym over and over. Why can't I get into this game?

just played with rail signals a bunch in sandbox mode and i think have a basic understanding, i guess they arent working in the main run because of my fucked up rail road system i have

i do understand boolean logic very much yes, just seems its implemented weirdly in the game

not consuming enough is much more accurate

currently have a one (1) centrifuge sorting through uranium i get from a far away uranium patch ( one of the reasons im using trains, along with a far away oil patch)

i guess ill have to make a whole new setup in a clearer area for the chemical packs

i know that with only one centrifuge itll take hours of playtime just get one u-235, im working on it

>help me sort my shit out
does it work? then don't touch it

Playing this game feels more like a chore than anything else. DSP is way more fun

There's no harm in taking inspiration from others user.
Obviously you're cheating yourself if you just download other peoples blueprints.
But things you might just not have thought of yet.
Your design for labs could be improved simply with this method of transferring flasks between labs.

Attached: file.png (1056x862, 1.88M)

what the fuck is this? where is the ratio'd feed lines that have every type of science on the belt?

Does your rail system have intersections? You'll need chain rail signals for those to work properly, and that's probably the simplest and most common use of chain rail signals. Chain signal before the intersection, rail signal after, on both of the intersecting track segments. Also, you are using one-way tracks, right? Trains aren't trying to drive both directions on a single piece of track? Because two-way tracks are much harder to get to work properly, unless you only have a single train in that network.

Yeah, factorio's logic isn't purely boolean, and again I don't think I fully understand it either. But I have managed to make a fairly simple logic setup for controlling fuel cell insertion for nuclear reactors so as to not waste fuel. Simplest logic exercise is to have an inserter fill a chest only to a certain threshold.

Hard to say. Tried playing multiplayer? Playing with other people might help you get past roadblocks.

Dunno... I'm trying out rail cells with my current save.

Honestly, not as good as a bus, and the trains very occasionally have gotten gridlocked...
AND I found a hilariously shit behavior where if a station flips between disabled and enabled, the train with slowly inch its way into being an obstacle.

But, it does provide some of the expandability of a bus.

Attached: Railcel.jpg (926x845, 139.8K)

This is not mine, but nonetheless, behold and weep.

Attached: 1612571267544.jpg (1920x1080, 720.58K)

DSP is far more tedious. Takes longer to do the simplest shit like making a mall. It replaces reward for smarts with reward for grind. Its loaded with tons more filler intermediary products, inflating the length of the game. If you disagree, you're not far enough into the game.

playing the new space exploration update right, really fucking good, fixed a lot of dumb stuff

you should change your lab layout to a pyramid design where loaders steal from the lab at the top and give it to the ones in back, that's much more efficient than tracks since they are all input with no output.

Haven't looked at the patch notes, what changed that you thought was dumb?

not him, but I absolutely hate this lab chaining design