Low poly vidya

why is it so comfy and atmospheric?

Attached: REDRIVER2 2022-07-02 21-12-33-42.jpg (1920x1080, 613.78K)

pro tip: the graphics have nothing to do with it

Max payne 1

something something art loses aesthetic value as it tries to be more realistic or something like that
-Ernest Hemingway

>t. SOVLLESS
LITERALLY THIS!

bump

Attached: 17751c43a5bd2bd1207034058454ac3e8.png (1280x960, 129.83K)

Actually they do.

Attached: jeanrenoir.jpg (667x1024, 110.54K)

nostalgia goggles

I think part of the charm is that it's a step before uncanny valley, so it plays like a videogame but you can still effectively fill in the gaps with your head without having to strain your imagination.
for me, its 3D RPGs from 01-06. Fallout New Vegas is probably the lastest game I played that felt comfy.

MP is med poly.

do boomers really?

>Fallout New Vegas
borderlands is better in every aspect

Oh come on. Lighting was one of the things 2 nailed and there is no reason to play at low res.

Attached: xw5jysoqdr1njy9leghw_1.png (389x321, 189.71K)

I can't stand creation engine lighting and animations. It aged like milk and wasn't good when it released.

You can have realistic graphics and completely bonkers gameplay.

haven't played it
the worldbuilding is why it's comfy, it's not this massive graphics enterprise, the design was just neat.
like KOTOR, it doesn't need a remake, the graphics look great, the only problem was the loading times, as with all games back then.

1. Constraints breed true creativity.
2. It leaves you enough room for imagination instead of forcing you to look at some plastic “photorealism”.

I'm so glad OP's pic is displaying an artstyle and not trying as hard as possible to be photorealistic with the technology they had, so nice of them :)

Man, I've been replaying some oldies like RE:Remake and Castlevania Lament of Innocence and they look so good, how the hell did they do it

this is true and also why games look terrible nowadays,
every game HAS to be photorealistic and then the gameplay is an afterthought.

imitating photorealism knowing it can't be achieved with the available technology is indeed artstyle

or to put it in practical terms, manually drawing a 32x32px leaf in a realistic way is artstyle
taking an 8K picture of a leaf and using it as a texture is not

Looks like your average game without Ambient Occlusion