What makes it so timeless?

What makes it so timeless?

Attached: D00M.jpg (1756x2652, 710.65K)

it's just fun

good gameplay good level design lifetime of custom content

it was already outdated when it came out

great movement, enemy roster and although it can get a bit mixed in some parts, some great maps (even some in DOOM 2)

also being the most moddable game of all time helps too

t.valve drone

>t. zoomer contrarian who watched a youtube video about Ultima Underworld

Simple, Christian, and Fun.

good level design that stood the test of time.
good weapons roster and they all feel powerful and different from each other.
good enemy roster that synergizes with each other in colors, sounds, designs and combat.
unique art style that easily recognizable.

It's fast.

Massive moddability built-in and intended from the beginning.

>they all feel powerful and different from each other
The pistol is feels like total garbage and is straight up outclassed by the chaingun. But other than that, yeah. Heretic did it better with the wand and dragonclaw being separate.

Being open source

No niggers

It was because Carmack gave everyone the source code. Modders have kept the gaming alive for decades now.

Also it was made by Carmack who is a legit genius when it comes to programming. Programmers are still using some of the things he came up with many years ago.

Attached: 0561320.png (500x454, 83.24K)

Well you need something to fight up from. You know once you get your first shotgun that the game's really started.

Heretic's powered up wand was pretty useful and less situational than the powered up gauntlet, which was nice as it gave you a reason to use all that wand ammo.

>Well you need something to fight up from
Of that I'm not denying, just pointing out that your original claim doesn't really fit Doom perfectly. Doom is mostly perfect in my opinion but the pistol is a blemish, I do think having a useless weapon is a detriment that many future fps corrected.

>What makes it so timeless?
great controls, great gameplay, great aesthetic. this game pretty much popularized a genre that is still huge 30 years later. yeah wolfenstein came out first but doom is the one that really got mainstream popularity. this game is still very playable and very fun today despite its age and is way more fun than money modern fps games.

What's your favorite non-id wad?

ask your mom about it

probably valiant, just the right blend of elements that just hit right.
ancient aliens is probably as good or a close second.

i can't, man, she died in 2015