What was gaming like in the 2000s? I was born in 04 so I only got to experience the tail end

What was gaming like in the 2000s? I was born in 04 so I only got to experience the tail end.

Attached: 1629871352424.jpg (1000x750, 342.31K)

Collecting was good back then. Now shit that was 5 bucks is 30+

>2004
undera--
oh no

>I was born in 04
enough Any Forums for today

It was a simpler time

1990 was 75 years ago

Attached: 1625860272572.jpg (200x193, 5.78K)

hes just a coomer not a real gamer
>t.40 year old coomer and gamer

it was fucking mindblowing

imagine every year games getting better and better, nobody knew what to expect, gen xers and some boomers making the craziest shit that all controlled horribly but it didnt matter cause we didnt know any better. i still remember seeing the trailer for Ocarina of Time in movie theaters and losing my absolute shit. so many hours on my ds.... hundreds of hours in return to castle wolfenstein and smash bros melee. watching as halo took over my entire high school and becoming even more popular cause i could win almost every game. pretending to be sick from school just to watch e3. good times, good times.

Attached: linkumz.png (112x112, 18.7K)

Renting games at Blockbuster before deciding to buy or just completing the game before returning was great

2004 was probably the best year in gaming and the last big year before gaming got really commercial and started pandering to the masses, introducing MTX and PC/Console games became merged.

It was fun. Women were staring at men with angry envious eyes while we had the time of our lives.

better than you can ever know, sub-zoomie

>playing melee and splitscreen halo with the bros
>games didn't have milk you with dlc and microtransactions
Good times.

>just so happens to be the exact year people turn 18
>people still fall for the bait

It was interesting. During the first half of the decade, you'd see something mindblowing every year with the rise of open worlds, physics and graphics and the sheer scale of games. On the other hand, the diversity in terms of genres started declining, stuff like RTS that had been a PC staple with multiple games coming out each year started waning out. The push for multiplatform releases also hurt some titles due to console limitations, especially memory, as the original Xbox and PS2 had less RAM than a gaming PC from 1998, resulting in disappointing sequels like Thief Deadly Shadows and Deus Ex Invisible War.
The latter half of the decade was when the industry started declining into its current state, with inflated budgets resulting in risk aversion, companies making cookie cutter games instead of experimenting, microtransactions and other predatory practices, the death of dedicated servers killing small in-game communities and so on.

Basically it's the decade that contains the peak and fall of gaming.

It was cool. Born in 2000.

Games were improving and new things were coming out instead of downgrades and remakes of games released 20 years ago.

I feel sorry for you oldfags but I can't help but laugh my ass off when you realize how old you are. I'll be at that point too eventually and i'm not looking forward to it, but it's funny to me everytime.
t. 2000

Eastern Euro/poorfag experience : lots of great (bootleg/pirated) PS1 games and PC games that didn't require a powerful computer, like Rollercoaster Tycoon or The Neverhood.

>still don't know how to play burned disc ps2 games
cannot into emulation with thinkpad, so do i still need soldering modchips on real hardware?

Attached: 1651221159458.gif (600x900, 604.99K)

Also HOMM3 and CS1.6

Yeah. Not sure if any places are left that will do it for you, though...

i think what i liked about that era was how many different genera of games existed. like, they were many sleeper hits that got missed or ignorant because they existed so many good different games.

now days, it feels like video game developers are chasing trends because it "worked" on paper and too afraid to take risks.

playing WoW at the time it was fresh and Facebook wasn't even heard of was mind blowing

I actually feel sorry for the new gen kids who are becoming corporate tools and are easily exploitable for Gasha and microtransactions in general

There's some homebrew you install in the memory card and allows copies to run, FreeMCBoot.

AAA was still trying and AA was still a thing. It wasnt the blatant corporate hellscape we have now