Should I buy this desktop replacement laptop just to play games?

This is marketed as a workstation laptop. I really like the looks of this beefy boy, and I especially like it being able to support 128GB of DDR4. I have about $7k AUD to burn, so should I buy this laptop or just build a PC from scratch with the cash? Right now, I am using a laptop with 8GB of RAM and no discrete GPU and it is borderline impossible to game on it despite it using an i7‑10870H

Attached: cool laptop.png (1837x790, 299.2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qOc0wMqFTlA
youtube.com/watch?v=QKEkaJq2zEI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

With 7K, go nuts on a desktop man
If you need something to go, you could easily still build a solid rig plus buy a laptop separately
Those laptops aren't exactly light either

>gaming
>laptop
Lel

Don't worry, I have been going to the gym for the last 2 years so I have become stronger. A 8kg laptop isn't gonna slow me down at all if it is stored in my backpack. Obviously, there is no fucking way that I am going to walk around whilst using a laptop that is A, very heavy and could fall, and B, the battery will probably only last an hour at best. I do like the idea of having a super-powerful laptop that is better than 95% of custom gaming PC though.

Just get an ITX desktop.

this, and for any work you should just be able to remote in using vnc, microsoft rdp, x11 forwarding, x2go, etc.

Do this Also I can' see the image properly since it's not zooming in but if you wanna drop 7k on a rig, why bother getting a laptop thats "95% better" than all desktops rigs when you can just be in that upper 5%
7k is a shit ton to spend

nah, you should just stop playing games instead.

Laptops have the worst price to performance out of any pc gaming solution aside from non-Steam Deck umpcs. I agree with I had a gaming laptop and while it was a shitty one like your previous laptop, having a desktop + Deck is comfier.

Can't you just buy a laptop with a 3060 for like $900? What does that $7k laptop even have to be that expensive anyway?

lol

The specs on the laptop are:

128GB RAM DDR4
RTX 3070
i9-11900K
2TB SSD
17.3" display
144Hz
140w

I don't know why Any Forums is being so retarded with viewing images as of late.

>and I especially like it being able to support 128GB of DDR4
I don't think you'll ever need nearly that much unless you're using it to host a bunch of servers. You'd be better off figuring out what you actually need then saving the rest to upgrade later when new technology becomes available.

I fell for the 4GB of RAM meme, I fell for the 8GB of RAM meme, I don't want to fall for the 16GB of RAM meme too. This is the nuclear option. Also, I used a friend's PC and he had 128GB of DDR4 and it was a buttery smooth experience.

Not sure why either
But yeah, with 7k AUD, easily grab a 3080 that can run without reduced wattage, more storage, RAM runs quieter, cooler and with a newer CPU
If you want it to be small, look at building an ITX rig
Do you already have a monitor? Cause if not, building a faster PC than that still leaves you room for a good one and it'll be bigger than 17"
Also, unless they're really close in price, stick with the 3080 over the 3080Ti

I already have a monitor from an older PC that I built. It is curved and is about 30", I think it is 144Hz, but I don't mind 60Hz either. If I am going to build a PC, I won't be doing a compact ITX build, I will build a gigantic one with 1000D case since I want to be able to have lots of space to keep my components cool, and to have great cable management. For the motherboard, I guess I will get a single CPU server one because they can often support more than 128GB of DDR4 and they have 4 PCie 16x slots, meaning that I could fit in up to 4 RTX 3080Ti in it (non-SLI).

You could get a Ryzen 9 5950x with 16c/32t that still supports 128GB of memory
Plus will have better clock speeds than the server CPUs you'd be looking at

High-end AMD CPUs are better than high-end Intel CPUs, so I may as well go for AMD. The clock speeds are pretty decent too. Maybe I could save up even more money and buy a high-end threadripper since they have so many cores and threads, but not many games are multithreaded anyway, but it would still be able to handle pretty much any single core game anyway.

First, deal with how much you are going to loose in terms of performance
>youtube.com/watch?v=qOc0wMqFTlA
Second, buy this instead
>youtube.com/watch?v=QKEkaJq2zEI

The Titan can only support 64GB of DDR4, which isn't enough.

Sorry, I didn't see that it could take 128GB.

If you're talking about games while wanting TR, I wouldn't bother with Threadripper
Even the 5950x is overkill but at least it's got good clock speeds

Just to add to this btw
No shame if you don't know how to build a PC
Mwave and PC Case Gear have building services

Any Forumstard reporting in
> just to play games
> 128GB of RAM
why do you think you need that? Might as well just spend more on a better GPU which will actually improve your gaming experience. You will not benefit from more than 16GB of RAM in games.
> 11th gen i9
> DDR4
you know 12th gen CPUs are a huge jump in performance right? Newer laptops have DDR5 memory as well. With that money you could get a top tier 12th gen i9 laptop with a RTX 3080ti 16GB which would give you a massive performance boost

Also, the anons telling you to build a desktop gaming PC are right, you will have much more performance for less than half the price, and you will have actual repairability and upgradeability.