I've heard a lot of good things about this duology but haven't tried either of them yet...

I've heard a lot of good things about this duology but haven't tried either of them yet. I've played SMT3-5 + Apocalypse and every Persona (except for Eternal Punishment). SMTIV is my favorite out of the lot, I just dig its cyberpunk atmosphere and story. How do these games compare to mainline SMT?

Attached: Digital-Devil-Saga-Cover-1024x732.jpg (1024x732, 145.43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zMLh5mf57CE
youtu.be/BCuOjfyUHnA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

DDS plays more like a traditional RPG with a fixed party. There's no demon recruiting. That's about the biggest difference. It still nails the SMT feel. Also, the story gets really batshit crazy in the second game. Recommended.

>DDS plays more like a traditional RPG with a fixed party

with no "leader death = game over" crap

DDS got a narrative that's infused with Hindu symbolism and themes, a stellar BGM, and a cast of characters that are complex and have a real depth to them. It's too bad it's not as popular as Hashino's other game Nocturne. This spin-off deserves more love quite honestly. The atmosphere, creature designs, dungeons, and amazing battle system make it one of the best PS2 RPGs Would love for Hashino to make another game like it.

Attached: The Pillars of the Gaming Industry.jpg (1280x670, 525.35K)

>Would love for Hashino to make another game like it.
he's too busy coping over his inner incel and making shit like Persona and Catherine.

HD remake with both Openings when?

Was that ever traditional? I think it went mainstream during the PS2 era.

DDS is really similar to Nocturne
>inb4 hurr durr cos both are SMT, retard
in a way that both have same press turn combat, and you learn skills from Mantra (similar to Magatana, but you don't need to lv up your characters, just get enough AP).
And thank the fuck Christ, you can (un)equip skills at any time, you don't have to delete them...like in Nocturne.

Games are pretty, good OST, really interesting story, but random encounter rate can be too frequent. Play them.
But emulate PS2 versions. I heard that PS3 ports are really bad.

I already own them physically for PS2 instead.

Attached: 1656446220971.jpg (602x602, 51.09K)

Noice

1st game is much better but the end is kino

based

Attached: 1635794748497.gif (331x498, 1.54M)

Killer OST too:

>a stellar BGM
meguro's best

kek

Attached: 1656103454240.jpg (380x463, 26.95K)

The reason for that is generally because of how other games handle party members. In DDS, Serph isn't actually the most powerful or most versatile member of his team, so there's no reason to balance him out by making his survival mandatory.

In SMT, the protagonist is generally the lynchpin of the team, while in the Nusona games, the protagonist is the most powerful and most versatile. So for the purposes of gameplay balance, you make them absolutely necessary. If everyone were equal, then there would be no purpose to that.

Best battle theme?

youtu.be/BCuOjfyUHnA

Yes

first game's Hunting is better

It's inexcusable how they made you pay for one game for the price of two.

>Demi-Fiend makes regular appearances and tends to be hyped up as the "strongest SMT protagonist" or whatever.
>Raidou also shows up in a bunch of things and is very likely to appear in SH2
>Nahobino is probably gonna get similar treatment to Demi-Fiend henceforth
>DDS gets fuck-all forever