Be codemonkey and amateur 3D artist

>be codemonkey and amateur 3D artist
>trying my hand at making a horror game
>spend a whole week making assets for my game since I dont wanna spend money on buying shit
>not even halfway done
How do solo gamedevs make it? It's exhausting just making props. Most of it isn't even going to be used. I still have to make the demon, script jumpscares and other things.

Attached: 1655296633435.gif (112x112, 47.59K)

you've got to give yourself more than a week man come on

nigga thought he was gonna make a game in a week

it's exhausting..all I've done so far are the walls + doors + couple of tables and chairs. I've baked textures for all of them.

That's a really impressive pace, you're doing good.

nigger WHAT
ITS BEEN SEVEN DAYS
SOLO DEVS TAKE YEARS

Relax, bro. It takes at least a month to make a small horror game. Especially if you insist on making every asset yourself.

You either crap games out to meet the FoTM game style or you gamble on putting your heart into something for five years that might just flop out of the gate and no one will play. Alternatively if you're okay with spending some money and are okay with exploiting others you can make a style guide and pay some third-worlders to make assets for you. Another option is to rope some teens or dumb college students to doing work for free as "experience". You have to be a real shithead for that and they could always grow a pair and put your name out as a toxic dev but if the game is good and fills a niche it probably won't matter to your end user...if you can live with yourself. Some people have the mental defenses to mold the situation in their mind to where they were in the right all along and everyone was always against them

>spend a whole week
Is this nigga seriously?

A whole week and you're not done?

Good lord, better pack it up, you must just not have the talent....WWSJW

Attached: 1654733545826.jpg (442x442, 10.9K)

did you unironically think you'd be done in a week? that shit is gonna take years

As an experienced solo dev, try to focus on what you’re doing in the moment and make it the best you can. But don’t be too perfectionist either get it 80% then move on and come back to polish. It takes a long time for the game to really come together and be fun to play could be months or even over a year.

The approach I do is to use cheap or store bought assets to get gameplay up and running then go back and rework or replace these assets. I’m also mostly a programmer though so play around your strengths.

But I don't know if the payoff will be worth it. How are people going to play my game? I upload it to itch and spend 100 bucks on steam for like 50 people to play it?

Have you tried looking for free assets or cheap asset bundle packs? Use placeholders until you can find what you're looking for for cheap
I think there's a misconception that you NEED to make everything yourself when in reality you can use stock/free assets and still make a fun and interesting (and if you're lucky, popular) game
See: Phasmophobia, a horror game made mainly using free assets

See

well yeah that's the plan

If you don't want less than 50 players then find a way to attract at least one player every day, retard.

>Making games for money/popularity

Attached: 1650572918940.jpg (736x736, 47.52K)

Prototype the game and post it on le Reddit (I know I hate it too) but that’s how you gauge if you have interest. If it’s getting 5 likes it’s not gonna market easily or sell well most likely. Adjust the visual presentation of the game until you are getting good reception from people. Then you know you have a marketable game that can sell

Do it because you enjoy the process and want to make something that you want to see exist. Then making money off of it is just a bonus. Once the end is in sight you can start researching ways to market your game. If it's good enough you could potentially find a publisher who'll do the heavylifting for you but there are lots of shitty ones that are looking to scam indie devs. I wouldn't worry about that now though. Enjoy working on your game and eventually when it's ready to shop around the indie landscape may be completely different so there's no need to overthink it now.

Pretty much this do it for the craft and learning experience very rarely is anyone’s first a game a hit I’m on game 5 myself which for the first time ever has some real buzz around it