Steam Controller

Is this thing good at all?
How does it rank among other controllers?

Attached: FA008119-E545-4EED-81A6-B03C2D3BA22C.jpg (1200x864, 227.07K)

the left trackpad is dumb, it needed a proper dpad.

it's the best for 3rd person shooters.
bad for fighting games as stated here

What about first person shooters? Ignoring mouse + KB obviously.

>not ZQDS

I found it clumsy for games, but great as a couch-remote for your PC. I could never get a hang for the trackpads in games, but that's just me.

Attached: 1656124247428.jpg (748x1068, 97.74K)

It good

It has potential, but I feel like it is held back since it is somewhat dependent on the game's settings. The biggest problem is that some games won't let you use controller and mouse input at the same time, forcing you to emulate analog sticks with the track pads and gyro or try to bind everything to keyboard and mouse and loose analog inputs. Beyond that it can still be a bit tricky to get sensitivities right. Track pad should be better than analog for camera control in skilled hands, but I still feel like analog+gyro is more consistent and comfortable than track pad+gyro. Track pad lets you set it to activate gyro only when touching the track pad so that you can just lift your thumb to recenter similar to picking up a mouse, but it also means you loose access to the face buttons while aiming.

A potential Steam Controller 2 that borrows from the Deck layout should be a great controller since it would be a more general purpose controller with less compromise. You can't buy the Steam Controller anymore, so you may as well wait since it is pretty much guaranteed that Valve will keep putting out more hardware to put off making games.

I found it ideal for games that are a mix of 3D platforming/action with 3rd person shooter elements.

Use the stick and right pad for navigating the 3D space, and then toggle into gyro aiming when needed.

A simple example would be the new Tomb Raider games and similar.
You got the best of both worlds: 360 degree freedom of a controller for moving around, and mouse like precision for aiming. And each one without compromising the other.

The Steam Controller itself isn't strictly necessary anymore to accomplish that thanks to Steam Input, but what they started with this controller was revolutionary and grossly under appreciated.

I wanted to try it too, but most people selling it a lot higher price...

you can only use it with games you purchased on Steam, correct? that makes it DoA

nah, you can make a profile for any program, bit of a pain though to first set up.

I have one, I hate it
Some people swear by it though, I don't really get it, I guess maybe if you really get used to it it's a halfway decent substitute for a mouse for certain games

To me the fact that the Steam Deck gives you two proper analog sticks and a proper D-Pad is all you need to know that this thing is a failed experiment

Slept on big time, built in gyro, and community built presets.

If it had a Genesis dpad, it would literally be the best controller ever.
As it stands. it's pretty great for PC gaming but not having an actual DPAD is a pretty severe doeside.

Does Windows really still not have the equivalent of SC Controller?

Attached: steam_controller-config_app.png (867x545, 82.04K)

This, also the abxy buttons should've been swapped with the right trackpad, it's fucking awkward for 2D platformers and the like.

>buy it to play STALKER SOC on the couch
>controller doesn't work with specifically that game

false start never made me give it a chance

fuck this gay planet, and no, I don't give a fuck if it does work now for some reason or another

Having built an arduino contoller with roughly the same spacing and location.
No

Better for any game that uses camera control than a traditional gamepad.
Not as good for retro games that are dependent on the d-pad.

The Neptune layout of the Deck is a definite improvement. Just waiting on a new Steam Controller, which is probably the reason why the Deck's dock was delayed.

i have an xbox and a steam controller
i use the steam controller way more
i find it comfy

Not unsurprising, It's ergonomics tism

Its always worked with every PC game, you probably just needed to set it up or wait for someone else to release a community profile for it that you like.

garbage. only use it to control my htpc from my couch. not for vidya

The best
Just the best

No, it did not work with STALKER. Don't gaslight me. I went troubleshooting.