DMC

was he a good addition?

Attached: Devil-May-Cry-5-V-1403163954.jpg (1920x1080, 877.59K)

This is what Charlie penguin guy looks like shaved

I personally believe so.
His combat needed some more refinement but it was still entertaining despite lacking the depth of Nero or Dante's toolkits.
There are lots of genuine criticisms to be levied against his gameplay but a lot of the popular ones, like his summons teleporting too much, are a result of user error rather than design.
Narratively I enjoyed him as well, with him showing aspects of Vergil's personality that were previously only told in side material like the manga bios and Trinity of Fates. I wouldn't like him fully returning in the future though as that'd just dilute the entire purpose of his existence.

Attached: 1652274015490.jpg (505x673, 44.13K)

Absolutely. Without V the game wouldn't have had
>the cameo system, including missions 07 and 13
>stunning for weapons like Balrog and Rawhide
>the Mallet trio boss fights and their remixes
>a bunch of more depth to Vergil's character and an arc giving him a new beginning
>William Blake's poetry's themes
>Crimson Cloud
And that's not even getting into the character himself, who just oozes style and puts a new spin on the gameplay.

The crazy thing is that V isn't even as heterodox as people paint him as. He's a very simple idea (your sword, gun and DT are separate characters and you have to defend yoursef and them separately) using the same fundamentals as the other characters. He just requires you to grow into him and what he does differently, but that's the same for every character. He provides tons of replayability thanks to how different he is, and for the campaign he makes your playthroughs feel way more meaty.

If you think V isn't a worthwhile addition, just think of Lady's role in DMC3. She's a great character, but all the action she gets is almost entirely through cutscenes. Good cutscenes, but cutscenes nonetheless. DMC is build upon the idea that it's like an action movie, but you're the one being cool instead of the actors. And V achieves that perfectly.

Attached: image00117.jpg (1357x1920, 625.45K)

I have no idea what the fuck I'm supposed to do as him but the game gives me SSS anyway
Maybe if I change the controls around I'd have more fun but I didn't like him

Yes.

Attached: 1629215892568.jpg (540x540, 34.37K)

Try changing Griffon to a bumper/trigger and try playing while keeping V himself close to enemies. The latter especially makes him much more fun to play as that's actually the intended way, much as everything makes you think he should be as far away as possible.
You'll always get SSS ranks out the ass though, that's just how he is. They straight up said they made it easier to get high ranks with him because he's unconventional.

Just lost to turbo KC in the BP, I literally had him a smidge away from death, seriously let's talk about this dogshit fucking boss, his ice phase is horrendous with 0 openings, his thunder phase never happens and his fire phase is a coinflip no whether he'll instacharge for your entire HP bar in a second
Man I fucking hate this fight so fucking much, fuck this shit FUCK THIS GAME

Attached: 1560640386108.jpg (892x528, 55.37K)

He's so fun to play!!

>his ice phase is horrendous with 0 openings
Run from the ice blocks. Jump over the ice breath. Get away once the ice rain comes, or if you're ballsy do shit like spamming Royalguard or Shadow dashes. That's it, that's all the three attacks it does.

>his thunder phase never happens
His rotations are fixed, lightning always goes after fire unless you knock that head out. You can use this to skip whatever phases you don't want.

>his fire phase is a coinflip no whether he'll instacharge for your entire HP bar in a second
It's extremely telegraphed. Using Royalguard or Table Hopper with it is very easy. The only thing that might catch you off guard is the trailing flames on its slashes. But otherwise, it's pretty obvious what it's going to do. When it does its big jump the camera even changes to show it clearly.

For the character itself, yes.
For the gameplay, no.

Only if he was Mundus and had good gameplay

No, he doesn't have enough moves. If he had more variety and at least a few melee attacks with the cane then he'd be way more fun, but I just find him so boring as is. I'd rather just play as Vergil anyway.

combat no, story yes, character as a whole fuck yes

he explains vergil's autism very well

Attached: 1555630878273.png (1920x960, 1.31M)

pros:
>design is great
>integration into story is good
>fits the vibe of dmc
>cringe in a good way
>memorable, unique character
>attracted some new fans to dmc
>reminds me of my teenhood
>crimson cloud

cons:
>combat
>some of those fans are obnoxious fujos
>despite story being good, would've been way better as a brand new character not tied to vergil

I give him a solid 8/10.

Attached: 1539783218507.png (942x389, 458.35K)

SAVIOR

Attached: 1553703094233.png (252x291, 115.57K)

>would've been way better as a brand new character not tied to vergil
No, he wouldn't. His whole character and the game's story was built around him being Vergil. There's no getting around that. You'd have to change everything.

a very fun, if unfitting for dmc, character
and yet he was fucking robbed, his last story mission is a gimped version of him against gimped nero/dante bossess
but he shines against multiple weaker enemies, which is why he's super fun in bloody palace
i've enjoyed a taste of that pear

I like that they went out of their way in the special edition to show that he still exists, in some form

hated every single second when he was on screen

The problem is people can't grasp the idea that different characters play differently. this happens in games like fighting games, moba or even monster hunter all the time. So v is a good addition to the game it adds more variety to the gameplay