Am I the only one who doesn’t think it’s that bad

Aside from sonic 3’s blotched ost, all the games play well and the widescreen is a great feature.

Attached: 1707FA39-CA0A-422B-8E85-F5EE328900B2.png (1920x1080, 2.21M)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/folder/VC8m3KKK#1uPokCSWN83wy4Uz2TeaPA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's not a disaster but it should have been a lot better. It's more about what it isn't than what it is.

Attached: 1630542562786.png (1186x2251, 801.04K)

My main gripes other than the Sonic 3 OST is the nasty blurring filter on all games even when anti aliasing turned off, and the fact that you can't use lives in widescreen mode. I don't really care about lives since I rarely die in these games anymore, but the COINS icon is just so ugly to look at and doesn't match the games.

I know these can be fixed with mods on PC, but on PC I just play the decomps anyway. I bought to play on Switch and it's okay but that isn't good enough, the games should be perfect for $45.

its fine but i pirated the switch version. i wouldn't pay more then 5 bux for this on steam. there's no significant QoL improvements and the frame rate difference is not noticable. would rather just emulate

Nah, it's fine.
But it should be a lot better.
At least on PC mods have already fixed 90% of the issues, the remaining 10% are just the CD OST needing to be ported from the mobile versions and sound effects done outside the shitty low-pass filter.

Shitga bros, this is literally the blunder of the century. How did everything go so wrong after Mania?

Attached: over.png (186x271, 4.85K)

We've had multiple threads on this disaster

I'm stuck at the 3 chaos emerald help, fucking bombs

Attached: Sonic2-cover_art_box_tapa_wonmf.jpg (300x426, 47.08K)

1. Git gud
2. Play without Tails

Get a friend to control Tails so you can get even more rings in sections where the groups of rings come in split pairs.

SEGA tried to have Frontiers ready for the anniversary but when they realized it wasn't possible they then tried to have the mania team shit out a collection in time. Except the mania team split, and most of them formed their own company (Evening Star) and are too busy with their own projects. The leftovers were put to work but the project was rushed to hell. Delay wasn't an option.

Abuse pauses to see what's coming up ahead more easily

You're not. I've been having a blast with it. Does it have problems? Sure, but none of them are dealbreakers (and some such as oddly specific collision issues are just nitpicky and are nothing that can't be fixed by just jumping somewhere else).
Though, I am bummed that the recently-discovered code to allow not only sprite swaps of character sprites, but also of rings, shields, and even spikes to mimic the games (or eras, as the code refers to them) the character sprites come from really sucks to not have.
AKA, you if you used sonic 1s sprites in sonic 3, then the shields, rings, and spikes would also have their sonic 2 appearance/design. That's the only thing missing that I'm actually kind of upset didn't make it in.
As for the music, well I never really liked the original MJ versions of LB or CN anyways, so them being replaced with weaker versions don't upset me a whole lot. They're stages I wanted to be over with back then and they're the same way now.
As far as official ways to play these games go, these are still the definitive ways. Though considering every other attempt was either locked to mobile devices or were straight up emulation of genesis roms, that isn't a hard bar to pass.

Attached: 1656124364249.png (653x858, 667.06K)

>AKA, you if you used sonic 1s sprites in sonic 3, then the shields, rings, and spikes would also have their sonic 2 appearance/design
Is it obvious yet how many drafts I ran through trying to explain this thing?
I meant, if you selected the sonic 1 sprites in sonic 3, then more than just Sonic himself would have the sonic 1 appearance. The rings, spikes, and shields would also reflect sonic 1 designs.

Attached: sonic-shrug.gif (498x375, 988.17K)

Yeah, since they've all been rebuilt into the same engine Mania was created in, you'd think there'd've been more room to have some fun with that.
Imagine instead of just running the end credits then queueing up the next game, story mode just had you seamlessly run through all the games as Mania Sonic with a unified moveset consisting of the insta shield, peel out and drop dash.

>As far as official ways to play these games go, these are still the definitive ways

Attached: 1625796390409.webm (720x405, 2.92M)

>Oh no look at this oddly specific set of actions that have to be done on this one single act to break the game!
Yeah it's sloppy but it's not like you're going to encounter that problem every time. It'll happen once, and you learn to never do that again.
It's not that big of a deal

Skill issue

>shitty unfaithful remakes are superior to just playing the original roms you can find anywhere on the internet
>because muh widescreen

>this oddly specific set of actions

Attached: 1637498250674.webm (1280x720, 2.86M)

I had no idea the mania team split up
Wow, so if Mania 2 is real, it really IS made by Sega.
I just threw up a little in my mouth

Attached: 1596182451671.jpg (1655x1242, 147.12K)

It does help with the gotta go fasts by letting you see a little more of what's coming up ahead of you.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the original idea, but was scrapped to the easy way out once Sonic Team started running out of time.
This collection has a lot of stuff in the code that would've been fun to play with if Sega didn't rush ST for a whole 5 minutes.

So far my only complaint (aside from no MJ) is that its too generous with coins. I feel like I'm gonna have enough to unlock everything before I can even touch Mission Mode.

>unfaithful
Video games aren't a religion, user.

Mission mode showers you with coins if you go for all S ranks. I had about 700 left with nothing to spend it on by the time I S ranked every game's missions.

I had well over 700, but I did do a few runs of normal games before.

Yeah, I'll give you that one. That would be a lot more annoying to deal with since you can't see anything.
Does it only happen in that one spot? I've run into water with an electric shield a few times and that's never happened.

Same for me honestly, none of what I've experienced is a deal-breaker and if they let Headcannon be in charge of patches it can potentially be even netter. Brownie points if they hand the prototype tracks to Tee Lopes now that he's not tied up with TMNT.
Headcannon did the 3K port of this game, and each game is running on Taxman's engine. So as long as they ask Christian for permission to use it, they can always just let Stealth/Headcannon make future games on it, if he even wants to

How else would you have valued coins besides 1 per extra life and 3 per extra continue?

Thats fine, just raise the amount you need to unlock an item in the museum. Maybe ten, and the last few at the bottom can be even higher, like 20.

>they can always just let Stealth/Headcannon make future games on it, if he even wants to
Yeah... about that...

Attached: 1636060538536.png (587x575, 363.65K)

Any Forums had put my expectations so low that it was a pleasant surprise that the Big Arm fight was there, instead of me just thinking "oh, of course they put it in."

I played through S3&K with the sharp filter mod and MJ music mod and its the definitive way to play S3&K now

I dont know about story mode i heard that buggy

Attached: 1636759166738.png (1275x658, 1.19M)

>missing rolling SFX in CD
Never missing. It legit is not in the Sega CD version. Not an oversight.

>I dont know about story mode i heard that buggy
>Can randomly wipe all your emerald collection progress and your score to 0
Nothing personal kid

>Get a friend

Attached: 116238.jpg (700x509, 35.32K)

Stealth also spoke openly about SEGA adding Denuvo into Mania on PC last minute, and it sounds like he's the type of person to take a lot of pride in his work and want it to be the best it can be (which is good). So only time will tell what happens next here.

>widescreen
You didn't beat the game.

>It legit is not in the Sega CD version. Not an oversight.
No shit, that's why he said it 'still' hasn't been fixed

I beat these games multiple times before you were born, zoomer.
Widescreen is an objective improvement.

It's inferior, both to older compilations and fan-made entries.
Origins would have been tough to swallow 20 years ago. Now? It's a fucking insult.

Here's the decomps and AIR btw

Play the superior version and you'll change your mind.

Attached: 1656298168810.png (577x218, 44.48K)

Cool bro, just show me where I can play those on my PS5.