Why aren't RTS more popular? This game was blowing up like crazy when it came out. Everyone was playing it...

Why aren't RTS more popular? This game was blowing up like crazy when it came out. Everyone was playing it. What killed the RTS genre?

Attached: roc.jpg (638x640, 99.06K)

i wish WC3 wasn't dead bros...

Host bots killed wc3

>developers focused too heavily on multiplayer
>even within this, they focused too heavily on recruiting turbo autists to be like SC
>zooms came along, they don't want to play 1v1 games because it leaves them without a team to blame when they lose, and they don't want to play a game where they're guaranteed to lose their first 50 matches because they're used to algorithms keeping them at a perfect 50% winrate from the moment they play online
>mobas shaved off a chunk of the fanbase as well
Now, the only thing which exists are the fucking amazing campaigns some RTS games had, and a small contingent of autists playing SC and AoE2:DE

>What killed the RTS genre?

MOBAs.

I had been playing that fucking game every week since 2002 and they killed it. I hate them.

Attached: 1505247949208.jpg (753x707, 331.2K)

Everyone was playing Tree Tag and not ladder.

They died when consoles were ascendant from 2005 to 2015 or so. A controller hasn't enough inputs or precision. Twitch shooters like Quake died and were replaced by slow aim down the sight shooters for the same reason. MOBAs also contributed.

Why isn't this shit for sale

Custom games carried wc3

Assfaggots

Mobas simplfied the mechanics becuase controlling armies was too difficult for most people while keeping the interesting aspect of controlling an RPG hero.

Dota basically created the idea of having a diablo-rpg game that is PVP centric with PVE elements within a large arena map.

They could have left vanilla players alone but not they merged everything in a complete mess and ruined it. I played this game 8-9 years and wanted to get back to it when reforged was released and it was always buggy, sluggish and lagging. I also did not like the new graphics. It lost most of its soul.

Good job blizzard you scammed me but I'm not buying anymore game from you.

mobachads live rent free in rtscel heads

APM requirement kills all of them.

The most honest and accurate answer would be MOBAs, then mobile games.

MOBAs utterly annihilated RTS as the leading PC gaming genre. People often forget that Starcraft 2 was actually pretty damn huge when it got started, and was even the main reason that Twitch even existed. But then LoL came into the picture, and stole the casual PC players away from RTS, and even a large chunk of the hardcore fanbase as well. MOBAs gave people a much more accessible and casual experience while still having just enough depth to keep the pros interested. When compared to the ridiculous amount of effort and practice it takes just to be decent at an RTS, people moved away. Then mobile games dealt the finishing blow by stealing away the custom game experience that kept people playing RTSs. No need to buy Warcraft/Starcraft to play tower defense or Uther Party or whatever minigame out there when mobile games now gave you that experience both at a cheaper cost and higher quality. MOBAs stole the casual crowd and crippled the pro crowd. Mobile games stole the custom game crowd. There's simply nothing that RTS can provide that isn't already done by other genres.

me too man, I had a few clanmates that hung on playing 4v4 rt up until reforged. I remember logging in every night late on USEast and seeing "1000 active players" "900 active players" "300 active players" until eventually it was just "96 active players" and then reforged came and now I have nowhere to go.

>Uther Party
:(
The mobile game argument also applies to steam/indie games. For every wc3 custom map there are 100 indie games doing that same content with an easy way to play with friends via steam rather than port forwarding 6112.

>Muh mobas
Real reason why RTS (and arena shooters) died? The (skill) bar has been set too damn high, that's it no influx of new players = LOL DEAD GENRE

Had a golden peon account which took me months to build and blizzard deleted it. I will never forgive them.

WC3s had a solid single player campaign story mode, something most modern RTS games just don't have, or when they do they're nowhere near as in-depth.

the world editor/custom games were the true staying power, though. most modern RTSs just don't have the same tools. God, Werewolf was kino

Attached: 1523746944265.png (719x1000, 328.68K)

>mobas shaved off a chunk of the fanbase as well

mobas killed RTS dead, DOTA killed WC3 and its custom scene, i hate that zoomer game with a passion. Not just because its a bad tryhard esports game, but because it killed some of my favourite games/minigames ever.

the many variants of hero line wars, build a sentence was hysterical fun if you could convince people in an internet cafe to play with you, warlocks is an 11/10 minigame if you can get ppl in a LAN or net cafe to play with you as its awful to play with lag.

Wintermaul wars maps were probably my favourite. alongside the superior to dota game that never got translated to english, the anime wars game where you could rage-crash the game if you were Hellsing by triggering its ultimate lol. Heaps of great minigames that were never really replicated anywhere else, Blizzdevs also fucked up SC2 custom map editor and what you could create with that was far more restrictive than wc3, they failed to not only make a functional custom map creator, but they made a WORSE one than its prequel, disgraceful.

Plus, blizzard also put in a clause so that any game you made via the SC2 editor they owned the IP for by default, merchants....