Ready or Not

>withhold the beta test branch from most of your early access playerbase
>make distant promises for the soundtrack on release and the first expansion after that
>bundle it with promises of exclusive skins and weapons that aren't in the game yet
>sell it for $80 extra dollars on top of the base game's $40
>still at 93% positive reviews
How did VOID get away with this? If any other game did this the devs would've been lambasted for it, but the Steam reviews and discussions seem to have a lot of people content with this practice and even defending it

Attached: RoN price.png (646x357, 53.43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a08U82XXsBg&t=39s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Guess it's not ready

That's the most honest video game title I've ever seen.

Bumping because I think it's important to talk about this. Is the quality of the product actually all that matters for video games, to the point where consumers will overlook any practice as long the game is good?

Attached: RoN disc1.png (659x880, 186.71K)

GTFO is absolute fucking dogshit. They had the basics of a decent game in the making when they published the game in Early Access with Rundown 1. It was rough around the edges, but the interesting map design made it really fun to play. Ever since, here are some fucktarded decisions they have made:
>Refuse to fix enemy desync, unless you're the host enemies just kinda *float around* damaging you often times without any animation whatsoever
>Every time a new rundown is released you can no longer play the old rundown (new content = goodbye old content forever)
>Newer rundowns lean heavily on map-generation-time RNG which can make or break your mission (RNG is pretty much the only deciding factor in whether you win or lose on some maps)
>80% of all of the enemies use the same animation skeleton
>Latest update adds gacha-like one time mission-long consumable buffs that you need to complete missions to acquire
>These will probably be sold for real money at some point since people are seeing through the bullshit and no longer buying this crap game
>Enemies in certain rooms now have infinite respawns, while you still have very limited and hard-capped supplies
It's going downhill. The ship is sinking. Abandon it while you can. Rundown 1 was nice. Everything else has been shit.

Attached: a3b1f4e902463682d32a65ada4fc64bc[1].png (920x430, 593.77K)

they want the tarkov audience

Boggles my mind too. On initial early access release the game was fucking shit. It has improved a lot since, the maps are still bland though, but it really did confuse me how it got such rave reviews on release.
The controversies since its release has only helped it garner more positive attention.

Usually, if a game shows that it has some quality to it then it pretty much waives off all the negativity it might get for selling "dlc" during early access. The developers behind Ark did not get NEARLY enough shit for releasing DLC content during early access, and barely anyone brought that up when they released the game with the same shit optimization (which everyone was focused on berating the release for), and the same shit pvp focused balance changes. First, I think what gives these guys leverage is simply that there hasn't been enough backlash for practices like this. Second, it's also highly dependent on wording and intent. The pricing and advertising indicate it's more like a season pass and a pledge mixed into one. The average consumer would probably see this as a way to support the developers more than just an empty promise made to get their money. The problem lies in where the consumer is putting this money towards. Do they want to just confirm they'll have DLC that could end up being barebones and not nearly worth the price of entry or do they want to support the developer? With the way this game received attention through quite a bit of controversy twice now it seems they'll be able to list whatever they want and still have people find out about the game and buy into it just because one guy really into one type of video game uploaded a video about it and gushed over it.

that one furry in the forums who has refuted every defender of this retarded practice is based desu

People liked this? Played it during the free weekend and all I did was sneak around and hammer glowies necks in sync with my bros with missions lasting hours

>early access game goes to shit over the course of its development
Why does this happen EVERY SINGLE TIME

>Second, it's also highly dependent on wording and intent. The pricing and advertising indicate it's more like a season pass and a pledge mixed into one. The average consumer would probably see this as a way to support the developers more than just an empty promise made to get their money.
This is really what pisses me off. Any criticism directed at Supporter edition is just deflected and handwaved by the mod and others as "it's just a donation, don't buy it for the promises of content" or "stop being poor". If it was just about collecting donations they would've set up a Patreon or have some way to donate through the site instead of promising a bunch of shit and giving exclusive content and beta participation.

>Every time a new rundown is released you can no longer play the old rundown (new content = goodbye old content forever)
Did they ever give a reason for why they're doing this? Seems like much more work restarting from basically scratch every major update and I just don't get it.
I just got it recently with the free weekend, personally I like that it tries to do a lot of different stuff I haven't seen in other PvE games, like making one player be the designated code monkey during waves where they actually have to type out things by hand to progress instead of "Hold E for 10 seconds and defend the area". Biggest personal complaint is that it's a lot of kind of meandering around hoping you stumble into the path of the objective and sneaking/enemy awareness mechanics takes too long. Maps only last hours because you're lost most of the time and getting delayed every time a sleeper looks around.

You forgot...

>Missions can take HOURS. And you better finish it in that sitting you no life scum, or else say bye bye to all your progress.

A shame really. It has potential and some good ideas.

Attached: 1640392563463.png (913x762, 334.15K)

Devs losing sight of their original vision or mishandling resources probably. Many such cases.

I know some Arma fags that suck this game's cock, must be a gunnut/cool larp fetishist thing.

>This is really what pisses me off. Any criticism directed at Supporter edition is just deflected and handwaved by the mod and others as "it's just a donation,
This is what pisses me off the most because if its just a donation why the fuck are updated locked behind it?
The excuse that its for bug testing/qa is fucking stupid, the current build available to us peasants who don't want to pay $120 contains fucking gray boxed maps the very first build released contained fucking awful AI this isn't a polished product update or not.
For me the other issue that arises from this paid "testing" model is it leaves very little incentive for void interactive to complete the game since its far more profitable to milk the supporters edition than it will be to release outside of EA.

you can play old rundowns
youtube.com/watch?v=a08U82XXsBg&t=39s

>you can play them if you do this needlessly complicated thing that is unofficial

Really should just be a feature built into the game. I just don't want to have to go through the trouble of finding and downloading every version of every patch a game has been through trying to find a stable one.

>How did VOID get away with this?
Because the genre is dead and no one wants to play old games

A fucking shame they went full retarded and been making those awful changes.
I, too, miss the first rundowns
After loosing payday those fuckers should find another way to make a living