How it felt to have this game on release?

How it felt to have this game on release?

Attached: Red_EN_boxart.png (1061x1064, 1.44M)

Everyone was playing it so I wanted one as well
It was fun like almost any game I used to play as a kid, even though 90% were fucking garbage

"How did it feel to have this game on release?" You're welcome, ESL-kun.

the greatest game of all time. And Charizard was #1

Great. Everyone had it. My dad has some random company vollyball thing to go to on the weekend. Like every kid there had a gameboy as well. I met someone who actually picked Bulbasaur there and watched him sweep the elite 4 with his Venesaur.

At my school most kids picked Blastoise, Charizard was pretty uncommon here.
I was a Venusaur bro.

I dunno, I had Blue. I guess it felt new and exciting but the Pokerap spoiled a lot of it.

I was like 6 years old man.

Pokemon hit the scene like a fucking atom bomb, OP. Like most anons here said, everyone played that shit.

I still remember sitting on a bus with my then best friend, my dumbass 6-year old self making it through the game only leveling up my Squirtle being too fucking spooked by the ghost in Lavendar Town, walking up and challenging neighborhood kids to link battles, good times.

Say what you will about the quality of the games but that collecting and Link Cable shit was genius

Pokemon Blue was mindblowing to me as a kid. The idea of this open world RPG where you can catch and train your own monsters was completely alien to me, my frame of reference for Gameboy games was basically "That's the thing that plays Tetris" I never liked handheld games because I thought they were inferior to console/PC games. I bought a Gameboy only to play Pokemon and it was literally the only games I owned for the system.

zoomers will NEVER understand what it was like

Attached: 1640455960936.jpg (1600x1067, 1.41M)

Everybody with a gameboy owned this game. It's the only game I've ever used the link cable for with friends. Most people didn't understand any of the game mechanics though and only had a level 100 charizard or blastoise.

It's weird to think people called Pokemon Go a global phenomenon. Actual Pokemon fever in the 90's was fucking surreal in retrospect. I don't think we can even get global phenomena of that scale in the post Internet era - Shit moves too fast. As for how it was, comfy. Link cables, trading at school etc.

Absolutely, unequivocally amazing. It truly felt like an adventure

so fun

internet wasn't as ubiquitous as it is now, so you'd learn "secrets" about the game from word of mouth. "My uncle works at nintendo..."

great, i was like 8 and all of my friends played it
we discovered new shit, had these weird theories about catching mew in the glitch zone or waiting for the ms anne to come back and my friend bricked his savefile by catching missingo

Most people owned a Gameboy BECAUSE of this game

One time I tried to show people at school glitch city, but I forgot how to actually do it, so they all thought I was trying to start a rumor

Pokemania was truly magical and I will never experience the joy of opening up packs of Pokemon cards, watching the anime and getting excited to play the games as I talk about it with my friends and trade/battle over link cable, etc. ever again. I will never catch a missingno and find it fascinating and sort of freaky how to does weird things like take the form of an old man sprite when in my party. I'll never battle my friends with a missingno, have them kill it only for its health bar to start filling back up again for some reason only for us all to laugh in bewilderment.
I just want to go back.

Attached: missingno.jpg (900x506, 71.96K)

The only game that was ever an actual surprise. Because even magazines for Gen 2 had "EVERY MON AND WHERE TO FIND THEM" features before launch.

you missed out on life experience not playing it back then

Great, handheld systems that required batteries sucked and the screen was hard to see but it was pretty great

>Kid at school tells me the objective of the game is to get a gf
>Train hard to be a pokemon master so I will impress the girls
>Talk to EVERY girl in the game
>Never got a gf

Attached: appu.jpg (250x201, 9.48K)

>trading at school
Man I wish. Gameboys and cards weren't allowed at my school.

They have a pretty good idea with the pervasiveness of Minecraft merch.

It was interesting to see the short-lived craze for Pokemon Go. What felt like the entire world suddenly becoming obsessed with it. It brought me back to those days in the playground, even though I didn't really play Go myself. This poor imitation of Pokemania is the closest zoomers will ever get to experiencing such kino. I pity them.

Attached: anne.jpg (480x360, 30.12K)

They banned it after awhile at my school due to kids allegedly stealing cards or some bullshit. Was great while it lasted though.
>I used to carry around my cards that would be worth tons now if in good quality in a fucking rubber band
>I had numerous Charizards
>gave them to girls I liked
JUST

Cards only got banned in my school after a sleazy blackmarket had formed. Plenty of older kids scamming younger ones as they had no clue.

Pokemania was no joke. Took the world by storm, and single handedly saved the Gameboy and future of Nintendo handhelds.

I took som 50 Deutschmark that I saved up for a long time and went with my mother to the lokal MediaMarkt, there I found a big pile of red and blue boxes and a lot of boys around the pile, I joined them in their discussion of what to buy. In the end my mother had enough and I bought the blue box.

It would also never happen again because of the ever-present cloud of the internet and youtube. There can never again be mysteries or theory discussions with your pals because it can all be datamined and there are youtube videos at release playing the game and explaining it to death.

i was stuck in the silph co. building for a while because there's this one warp tile you have to walk over twice in order to reach the key to the rest of the office building

there was literally a point in my life in 1999 where i was too stupid for pokémon games