Lost Odyssey beloved

>Lost Odyssey beloved
>Blue Dragon beloved
Why didn't MS continue to invest in Mistwalker? It really could've been their powerhouse Japanese studio. Seems like a huge waste of talent and investment.

Attached: 0000080418.jpg (800x1140, 528.06K)

I still don't understand how these major-companies-acquiring-little-ones concept works.
>little company makes games, in their own time and with their own standard of quality
>big company buys small company, keeping the company structure intact and allowing the little company to exist in it's current form
>little company no longer makes games
Is the first order on any company-purchase to immediately halt all ongoing projects or something?
If Sony and Microsoft own all these smaller companies, why aren't they ordered to produce anything?

Did Inoue draw that cover?

It's so stupid. I'm guessing when a little company gets involved with the macro economy and infrastructure of a larger one, their productivity and efficiency just plummets.

If today, MS would not have let Mistwalker go I reckon. Their games are ideal for GamePass.

They barely sold. Blue Dragon was like 80,000 copies or something. Xbox's native fanbase apparently hates Japan, and Japan barely budges on getting Xboxes to make the difference.

>>Lost Odyssey beloved
>>Blue Dragon beloved
Literal who games no one cared about

Case in point. Xbox anons like above are just hillbillies. Nothing can be done about it.

This is partially correct. If the company gets to keep it's structure that doesn't mean it gets to keep it's own in-house economy.
There is also the corporate portfolio now, which matters far more than the company portfolio. Most projects that were in-house are usually put on the backlog unless they have a very large fanbase/hype surrounding them.

What they usually do with these companies is dedicate them to for example art assets, or programing modules for games and so on. Ironically being acquired by larger companies usually means there is more bureaucracy and QA to get through so games rarely get developed any faster.

>Beloved

None of these games were really beloved outside of a small number of weebs who bought a 360 and it's especially sad in blue dragon case when the whole thing had anime and shit like that AND toriyama name attached and it still failed

It failed in an era where Jap games were doing the worst across the board. If today, they would have found larger audience considering how other Jap games increased in popularity. Sakaguchi games are also universal in appeal.

It'd be nice to just put on them the Switch and Steam or something. Not rotting away. EDF 2017 was another good weeb game (but not mistwalker) that died on the 360, but it's languished since (except it finally got a Japan release on the Switch).
Japanese games were still selling on PS3. Blue Dragon would have sure as hell more than 80,000 sold on a PS3 at the very least.

>LO beloved
barely anyone played it and the only ones praising it were 360 owners who were not normally exposed to jRPGs so they treated every slightly above average jRPG as some kind of master class title. Another example would be tales of vesperia, a game hardly anyone gave a shit about when it dropped on other systems, LO would suffer the same fate. The entire game is bland with the short stories being the best part about it (which were detached from the main game's boring plot, the direction the short stories lead to are completely separate from the main game's plot). Retards called it the "real FF13" when it was just as big of a drop in quality as the actual FF13 was to previous titles.

>Blue Dragon beloved
no? The game was considered mediocre at best when it came out

>Blue Dragon would have sure as hell more than 80,000 sold on a PS3 at the very least.
That's Japan sales only. Seen how PS5 games perform in Japan? Not pretty.

>WHY DIDNT A TRANNY WESTOID COMPANY CONTINUE MAKING GOOD GAMES? DURRRRR

Attached: 1642537236977.jpg (773x505, 265.54K)

But Blue Dragon got 2 sequels

>barely anyone played it and the only ones praising it were 360 owners who were not normally exposed to jRPGs so they treated every slightly above average jRPG as some kind of master class title.
Why do people like you have to come up with some inane bullshit psychological cope to excuse why a game is remembered fondly. I love Lost Odyssey and I have been playing JRPG's since the SNES. It's remembered fondly because it was a well made game with an interesting story and premise. Fuck off with your "deeper" understanding. You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

The story isn't interesting at all outside the short stories. That guy who did those should have written the entire thing. The game is well made in a sense that it's competent but it excells at nothing, even uematsu's tracks on it weren't up to his usual quality beforehand and he rebounded right after by providing fantastic tracks for ffxiv 1.0 (the only good thing about that shit heap)

This game was total garbage...
I expected so much and i was genuinely disappointed.

Main cast was shitty, unlikeable bunch of retards. The antagonist sucked... and those 2 are the core of a good jrpg.

Also the game would have been better if it was harder. It's kind of "hard" when you face that big dragon early, but that's the only cool one. the rest suck

>mid bottom

Attached: 1640800887348.gif (272x281, 1.99M)

I'm not debating your opinion, bro. You are welcome to feel however you want to feel but I'm telling you why people like the game and it's not because of some bullish like "dey just didn't play old games and were desperate lol"

>beloved
They were largely forgotten by everyone, user.

This was the "Japanese games are dead" era, of course Microsoft saw them as dead weight