What are your opinions here for a newcomer? I know I'm very late to the party but I've never experienced any MMO...

What are your opinions here for a newcomer? I know I'm very late to the party but I've never experienced any MMO. I know ff14 looks flashier and is the newer hotness, but I don't know the visual style just looks so generic JRPG style and WoW comes across as way more sovlful and classic fantasy style which I prefer.

Btw if I do start WoW, I assume I don't need to buy every expansion up until this point right? And they're both still $12ish per month?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 204.08K)

WoW is more expensive per month, but not by much. XIV has the extended trial through the base game and first expansion, whereas WoW only gives you until level 20, which you'll hit very quickly. WoW is in serious decline, as well. Would not recommend hopping on that game in the current state it's in.

Thanks. I'm curious with WoW, is it even possible to play all the content that's ever been released for it? Or do newer expansions that came out overwrite things from the previous ones? Like "wrath of the lich king" are you still able to play through that whole expansion story and kill the lich king, how does that all work?

>is it even possible to play all the content that's ever been released for it?
not really, most content requires you to have a group or a raid at some point (unless you are over-leveled in which case you can just solo previous content, but its not exactly fun)
>Or do newer expansions that came out overwrite things from the previous ones
There are some changes for maps as in cataclysm which changed a bunch of maps drastically

Honestly I suggest you wait for Classic Wrath of the Lich King release. There will be fresh realms where everyone starts from zero meaning you can play the way it was intended up until WotLK. Also you only have to pay the subscription for Classic, you don't have to buy anything I think.

I played WoW back in TBC, and very hardcore in WOTLK and MOP. I also played casually in Cata, WoD and BFA.
XIV is a much better choice if you're entering it completely fresh. Modern day WoW is pure cancer.

>Or do newer expansions that came out overwrite things from the previous ones?
Yes.

If you want to play WoW you may as well wait until the new expansion releases, wich will happens at the end of the year.
During that you may as well just play the FF14 free trial, wich goes all the way to lvl 60 and covers the Base game and first expansion.
If you don't like the FF14 by the end of the free trial you may like WoW more.

You can't really start WoW anymore. It's completely focused on people who are terminally addicted to it, and have been for the past 15 years. If you're not one of those sad fucks, then just play XIV.

Yeah, Wow has reached a state were the only people left playing it are the people that will never stop playing no matter what. Wich means that they are either tottaly ok with all the bullshit Blizzard does or just don't care. Then they complain about how the game has become worse over the years, but won't ever stop giving blizzard money for mediocre content. It's a sad state of affairs.

So there isn't really a way to start from the 2004 game and progress to the 2022 game then. i probably wasn't going to anyway just more curious how content is handled.

You could start Final Fantasy right now and have a few months to play it then try WoW WotLK classic when that comes out around October. I think the retail WoW expansion comes out early next year if you want to try that too.
personally I did not enjoy FFXIV or the last retail WoW expansion, but I have been having fun in WoW classic since the vanilla launch
it is all personal preference

WoW is famous for making previous content completly irrelevant once new content is out. Most of the relevant content needs a party to be done, and the game is soo goal oriented that no one wants to do anything that isn't new and relevant.

As someone who played WoW for a solid 12 years, you're way better off just not even bothering with it currently and for the foreseeable future. FFXIV is just in a way better state right now and way easier for a newcomer to get into as well. It has a big focus on the story, so if you're not really into that it probably won't be very enjoyable but if you are it's a solid experience. Gameplay is fun enough, most content stays relevant which is a big plus, class customization is nearly non-existent but they're all still pretty fun to play regardless, and if you ever get tired of them the game just allows you to switch between a class on the same character whenever you want anyways.

>Is it even possible to play all the content that's ever been released for it?
With XIV it is, you can go from 2010 base game to current game and there's still people doing old content

I'm just glad FFXIV won. It was a difficult battle against wowkeks and gw2 fanboys, but eventually we won.

Attached: 1633470581090.jpg (1070x719, 248.4K)

>newcomer?
The correct term is newfag.

I tried FF14 as a newcomer and didn't even play all off my paid subscription.
pros:
>big and thriving world full of details
>great OST and atmosphere mood
>really easy to get into
bads:
>story is the most bland trash I've ever seen
>visit the generals to see how many tryhard faggots and needy troons/whores you will have to deal with
>you will only have fun in it if you make friends at the beginning

>>story is the most bland trash I've ever seen
Ask me how I know you never made it to HW

I don't care troon, go back to your roleplay generals

Ff14 is a garbage game. And I mean that literally. The gameplay is absolute dogshit. It plays like one of those jank chink MMOs from 2002.

Do you want good gameplay? Pick wow.

Do you want an overhyped story full of plotholes and retcons praised by retards because it introduced them to baby's first sophistry? Pick ff14.

Be warned: the ff14 community are literal subhumans. Trannies and other such mentally ill cretins. You have "people" in there that literally do nothing but afk in a main city for attention. Like they'll idle at the teleporter wearing a shitty immersion breaking costume doing squats or something

>Do you want an overhyped story full of plotholes and retcons praised by retards because it introduced them to baby's first sophistry? Pick ff14.
Shadowlands storytelling is worse than anything FF14 ever did in all it existence. At least FF14 did not retroactively made past expansions, and even previous games, worse with terrible retcons like the Jailer.

>2002 mmo gameplay
>idle in main cities
this is comfy, you should probably quit videogames, get off your dumb fat ass & be a tryhard in your actual life