This is a real interview with Todd Howard from 2010

ign.com/articles/2010/08/14/why-there-are-no-ladders-in-fallout

Attached: Todd Howard interview.jpg (1080x1508, 232.82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/56789
youtu.be/ysxrDtWQfF4
youtube.com/watch?v=n_bx_LygjwU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ladders I can live without, but something I hate in todd's games is how crouching is just an animation and you can't actually crouch under anything.

Having ramps over ladders means you're always in control of your movement. And there's plenty of cases of shittacular ladders in games, like HL1. As far as Bethesda fuckups go a lack of ladders is pretty inoffensive.

A modder fixed this in Fallout 4 this year. So fucking pathetic.

>And there's plenty of cases of shittacular ladders in games, like HL1
retard

Bro the ladders in hl1 are all slippery like when ma makes meatballs for dindins, and then the meatballs are all slippedy slidey all over the floor. Mama Mia!

>Bro the ladders in hl1 are all slippery like when ma makes meatballs for dindins, and then the meatballs are all slippedy slidey all over the floor. Mama Mia!

Attached: 1568130622198.jpg (430x594, 50.26K)

Oh yeah how about that, that's pretty neat;
nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/56789

Were they hired?
Were I Todd, I'd at least be throwing offers at these kinds of modders; they know the engine better than anyone

Why hire expensive modders with probalby year of real world expirence in programing when you can hire college interns, let them do the shit code monkey work and fire them all in 1~2 years and get a new batch and cycle.

Of course not. The modder will work for free for Starfield too.

I just hope Starfield gets high effort mods like that skyrim dark souls shit.

why would the modders be expensive? they're literally just modders. you're not gonna give them some ceo salary you fucking retard lmao. Fuck you are stupid

this
both goldsrc and source have fucking shit ladder control when trying to mount or unmount one

source ladders work perfectly fine, you press e and mount very easily

Remember, Divinity II, a game made by larian, using the same engine, Gamebryo, had working ladders, and the ability to shapeshift into a dragon while mid air.

Attached: 1644751569619.jpg (1054x1500, 80.45K)

this was fixed in new vegas with some version of yup i think (i know installing ttw fixes it)
the issue was that your hitbox didn't change when crouching

Ladders are like red barrels. They don't actually exist irl

youtu.be/ysxrDtWQfF4

youtube.com/watch?v=n_bx_LygjwU

I'm assuming you think modders are what they used to be in the 90s just rado kids on forums or some adult here and there.
Modders there days do it for fun as their hobby next to their actuall IT job they probably get payed a fuckload more to do.
I don't know if anyone told you but from an IT perspective coding in a video game is literally the most low wage code monkey job you can get. Nobody except juniors and interns wants these jobs. Because they're boring since you don't get to decide what you do but someone else does.
By the time you worked for 10 years you moved from code monkey work on to engineering, architecture, design etc...
Like I have 2 people in my company that do Stellaris mods for fun after work, the other guy has like a 7 Rimworld mods, 1 Skyrim Mod and a few Minecraft mods. They does this for fun because he considers it a challenge and he likes to be "creative" something his software architecture job doesn't allow him to do.
Bethesta would need to pay him 140.000$ a year to beat his current job. 20,200 USD per year is their minimum wage and this is the college interns they shuffle around I was taking about.
Hopefully now you understand what I mean

game dev here. I genuinely hate how this is the most common perspective, that game dev is something that should only be done by bored programmers and "real" coders. I'm not going to claim making a game is the hardest of the software disciplines, but it should by lens other than "how big my code peen is". Of course I'm ranting to the void here. Game Design used to be a serious topic of discussion until Youtube got its hands on it. Now its just a collecting of buzzwords and buzzphrases to suck your favorite game's dick or talk shit about another game.

>software architect
>140.000$ salary
yikes!

Attached: 1642080745430.png (455x396, 154.73K)

Look I'm not saying gamedev is not serious business in IT. It is any job in IT is. They're well paying jobs but gamedev is literally on the low end spectrum of it.

But fuck man I wanted to go to game dev, but why would I?

First I'll never get to a position where I can make the game I want.

Second, my salary is quite literally going to be 1-3 times lower for the same job. And the promotion oportunities are going to be a lot lower because let's face it a game dev studio is small and the job scope limited.

Third, my work life balance is going to suffer the reason I wanna go WORK a job is so I can play Videogames when I get home. This was the whole idea for me.

Fourth, well this is a me thing but I'm a huge weeb. I am allowed to stay as a tourist in Japan for 3 months. You know what I did before this Chinkshit Virus started? I literally went and remoted worked from Japan 3 months in 2016 and then 2018 I had some family shit in 2017 so I couldn't. I plan to get there asap for a 1 month vacation (that I coudn't do as a gamedev) and then go right into 2 months of remote work in Japan.

Have some Pome No Ki Omurice.

Attached: IMG_20181025_182405.jpg (3480x4640, 3.24M)

>but why would I?
Because its fun. That's it. I don't mean this in a shitposty way, because I know how this is going to sound on Any Forums, but it does not suprise me in the least that a weeb has no appreciate for game dev. It is the entire character of this website, to be so utterly obsessed with Japan and not give a shit about the thing this very board is for. I work 2 jobs, I'm a stage hand and a stage director, I take double shifts most weeks. And when I'm not doing that, I dev. I have a small company with some people, and I'm the lead programmer. I do it because it makes me happy. We'll never "make it", our funds are running out, my life savings are entirely gone, and I'm happy this way. Who the fuck wants to retire if it means doing shit you hate for the rest of your life? If I had a wish of any kind, including monkey's paw, I would wish for more people to consider game dev as a hobby. You don't need to make good games, or functional games, or even coherent games of any time. When you say "I wanted to go to game dev" I genuine do no believe you. You sound like a man of means, if you couldn't make it happen its probably because you didn't care enough. Everything you spoke about in your post shows you don't care about the process, just the end result. I make games because I cannot imagine living my life without it. I have too many ideas and too much love for games as a medium to not be crafting SOMEthing. I might have a company now, but all I had when starting was a deck of playing cards, I didn't even know how to program. I'm here now because one day, I decided to start with 0 considerations for the future.