IMMERSION

I'm tired of everything being so static, scripted, and dependent on the direct actions of the player. Why has gaming stagnated so much in this regard? Graphics have gotten pretty amazing, but everything else related to immersion is frustratingly bad. We have beautiful but non responsive worlds

We need more interactive worlds with things you can destroy or be rebuilt, plants that can grow, npcs that interact with each other instead of having the same routines and waiting for the player to do something for them, etc. It's 2k+22 and we're still around Oblivion levels of immersion

We've had breakthroughs in AI when it comes to text, image, voice generation, machine learning, etc, when are we going to see some cool shit in vidya?

Attached: 1522421683494.jpg (600x373, 55.2K)

immerse yourself in deez nuts

Bethesda are to blame for this, we could have continued going in the Daggerfall direction but instead we got small detailed worlds
as for the actual answer, as always it's just normies and money, it's expensive to make interesting AI and normies don't care, in 2080 we could have AI be the same level as Skyrim and it won't make a difference as long as the graphics are nice

/thread

What does the B in 2B stand for again?

Bxecution

Even so, modded skyrim is the closest thing we can get to a "living" world. If anything we should thank them

You can put graphics and design on the cover, not physics, AI or gameplay. Plus, console hardware.

Benis

Unironically, the best hope is for Starfield to be met with critical acclaim and devs start to copy the Bethesda formula of physics for every object and unique npcs

Attached: 274ABA7A-AC2D-4235-BF92-FFFE66994D84.jpg (918x499, 122.65K)

what is the point of the 2b pic in op?

Attached: E6IKXFPXMAA9uw1 (1).jpg (1290x1600, 1.4M)

Lust inducing image that is both vidya related and sfw

Attached: ymBrYj6.jpg (1196x1920, 1.01M)

It stands for based.

>when are we going to see some cool shit in vidya?
Soon and for the exact reason that AI is finally nearing readiness. Non-essential content takes a lot of time for relatively small return since a lot of gamers just run right through the NPC town following the quest marker, not giving a fuck about all the lovingly crafted details. But AI makes it much easier to make these small details en masse and then the devs can do the fine tuning.

Is pic somehow related or…?

there's this taboo if the thing overlaps between two fields, no one wants to touch it or go near it. to deviate from what's safe, the boundaries of the current design paradigm would be financial & cultural suicide as
A.) no one would buy the game (because, )
B.) no one would be able to play the game as intended (and have fun e.g. ppl review game as bad not because game itself is bad but rather they cant into game mechanics to start with)
what makes matters worse is the monumental effort to create these contemporary games that arent interactive at all and the only path forward is to extend on what has shown to work & sell which is retarded as fuck because it occurred to me in a dream otherwise

thats not oblivion dickhead.

2blācked

>not giving a fuck about all the lovingly crafted details
I'm not only talking about making the world more detailed, but making immersion part of the gameplay. If the AI dynamically reacts to each other or if physics are improved, the player can get involved in many ways

I think games like CK2 are a good example of the AI interacting with each other while the player can influence it directly or indirectly. I wish that level of interacted could be translated into a 3d world

No. You're gonna get microscopic graphical increases and gaytracing instead.

>skyrim saved
LMFAO shitrim literally destroyed rpgs and bethesda has been getting worse ever since

Do people even care about minimal graphical updates at this point? Graphics have been more or less the same for awhile

People go apeshit over 4k and 100+hz refresh rates, so yeah. In reality nothing much has changed for a while now.
Personally I dont give a fuck about visuals, ~2017 graphics work fine for me. Even the 2011 ones dont bother me.

BBW

Attached: FBW4BljXoAEPRGL.jpg (1696x2048, 166.98K)

Oblivion was great but it didn’t have the ai that was promised.

I wish other devs took more inspiration from Skyrim. All they saw was open world = good. Not realising what makes BGS worlds like Skyrim good.