Muv luv blogpost because I just finished reading all this shit

I really want to know what I'm missing here. I definitely think this was fun to read, even with extremely glaring issues like pacing and also the fact I feel like half the entire dialogue across all three games could be cut and it could still be sentimental enough to get the point across. I mean seriously there are too many long conversations that are obviously supposed to be meaningful but aren't really saying a ton of stuff of substance, or they are just overwritten later by another person's spiel about morals or values or something that kind of negates their previous sentiment. They are even flash backed sometimes and it always just felt like a slog

But anyway, I just don't know how this is the best VN of all time. I feel like once you start doing the shit that they were pulling to advance the story, you could do so much more meaningful things with it than what transpired. I normally like to hypothesize about what will happen in a story instead of just sitting there reading (I mean obviously pretty much everyone does this but you would be surprised at how many people recommended this to me think differently and that you should just the story how it comes) and it felt like the Sumika is lonely and/or Sumika is jealous was pretty much the most obvious, first thing I thought of as to why Takeru would be stuck there. I just am kinda mad they didn't do anything more to that in anyway, idk. I mean I have some conjectures about what could be cool but they will probably just get attacked considering this is a "perfect" VN.

Additionally the aliens were a let down to me. They are a super cool concept and I really like how they were done because they felt unpredictable and shrouded in mystery, they were pretty much half and half pure evil and confusing. I just don't like how it was concluded, it felt like there was no closure and basically nothing transpired that clued you in to anything relating to them. [1/?]

Attached: ml-trilogy.jpg (616x346, 185.99K)

The talk with the aliens was literally useless. Hearing about Sumika's rape scene was literally useless. They honestly could have done anything extra and I wouldn't care, it could have been stupid, it could have been a surface level metaphor about love or morals or something explained by it but no. They are just "gathering materials". How exciting. If this wasn't an 80 hour experience I might not have cared that much but there's too much shit riding on this.

Also I want someone to enlighten me as to why Sumika is so great. She is basically a generic childhood friend stereotype and a cuckqueen for almost all the duration of extra and somehow I'm supposed to still care about her. That's my problem really is this game still assumes you care about it's characters more than the fucking aliens. There is practically no character development in Alternative except for a few characters like Kasumi (who is the best character in all three games btw) and they add so many fucking new ones it just feels like going through the motions after they all get taken out near the end.

I guess at the end of the day I let the hype get to me. I had fun reading this because the background and world of muv luv is really neat and the mech stuff is cool and I liked unlimited the most. I should have just been there for that instead of expecting the story to get any crazier or have some kind of moral lesson that you can take away aswell. I probably should not have gotten invested reading all of muv luv because I really didn't think the characters were any special from extra and for some reason got memed into reading all routes etc. I still think this is a cool franchise I just got way too invested.

>But anyway, I just don't know how this is the best VN of all time
I think a major part of why alternative is so highly rated on VNDB (and in general) is because you have to slog through Extra and Unlimited in order to get to it. You have to be pretty fucking dedicated just top get to Alternative, so the people who would have given it sub-stellar scores are filtered out before they can rate it. Honestly still a phenomenal VN in my eyes just because of a few standout moments such as the PTSD over Marimo, but I would rate it just a notch below the best VNs.

I hear this a lot and I think it's kinda true for a lot of VNs. Normally I find it hard to drop things for some reason and I end up just finishing things to at least see if I have some kind of opinion on it. Probably most people are different, I know a lot of people almost get filtered by steins gate just because there's like 4 hours before anything crazy happens and that's only 4 hours. I'm pretty sure extra and unlimited are like more than 15 hours each

abusing the spoiler tags

>walls of text
>reddit spacing
>not commenting it all in one post
>spoiler abuse
>[1/?]
an hero

In what way. The spoiler tags only have nice things to say about the way I treat them.

Yoyr mistake was probably tgat you started reading for the cool mecha alien battles when you should've read it for the romance SoL and have the genre shift be a huge surprise.

Half the shit you spoilered didn't have any actual spoilers you Neanderthal.
>highlight text
>ctrl + s
It's that easy

Nah don't care. I'm talking about the rape scene and stuff. All people do is bitch about how much you need to conceal about this game is I'm fine putting little spoiler tags it doesn't bother me. I'm glad it bothers you though

I think it's supposed to be good because it's so deep and mature. Plebs like us just get filtered because we expect everything in the story to be interesting or important. I'm pretty sure VNs include stuff like the twizzlers scene just to let readers feel smug about how great they are for reading stuff that doesn't give any enjoyment. I was expecting the MC to grow a pair and become a cool dude as the series went on but in retrospect keeping him a whiny bitch all the way through fits perfectly with the rest of the story.
Despite that there were some fun parts, I liked the setting and kasumi was best girl.

Attached: 1602512776937.jpg (960x544, 60.85K)

>I don't care that I'm a cancerous faggot
Alright, I'm out. I actually played muv luv and would've talked to you about it.

>they were pretty much half and half pure evil and confusing. I just don't like how it was concluded, it felt like there was no closure and basically nothing transpired that clued you in to anything relating to them.

I'm sorry you are retarded, user. Their motives are explained properly, although not in a direct way.

you never had anything to say, you're literally bitching about spoilers from the get go and I still have no idea what your problem is with them.

they are gathering resources for "silicone based lifeforms" which are probably just robots. there's really nothing more to it than that in my opinion unless you want to explain more. I unironically want to hear it no matter what anyone else in this thread automatically thinks

I agree kasumi was my favorite character, felt like she actually changed over alternative isntead of only changing over extra/unlimited

it's shit user, as with all vns

>there's really nothing more to it than that in my opinion unless you want to explain more.

There are a lot of interesting implications that you can infer from what they say. So, the BETA were created by silicone based lifeforms that evolved and became sentient naturally. After developing their technology, they have created their own "robots", the BETA, which are carbon-based, like us. Basically their civilization is the opposite of ours

>silicone based lifeforms are considered "natural" while we consider them artificial and expendable
>carbon based lifeforms are considered "artificial" and expendable, while we consider them "natural"

Which is the reason why they didn't ever bother to try to talk with humanity. Carbon based robots created by a silicone base civ finds another carbon based entity and think they're just "robots" like they are. Expendable, who cares.

>they are gathering resources for "silicone based lifeforms" which are probably just robots. there's really nothing more to it than that in my opinion unless you want to explain more. I unironically want to hear it no matter what anyone else in this thread automatically thinks
I think your problem is that you took a story about an invading alien species which we already know infested Mars and the moon before getting to Earth and you expected the raid on one hive on Earth to be the end of the entire story, when it was never meant to be that. The raid in MLA got the characters answers about what the BETA are and why they're invading, which would help them fight in the future and prepare for what's to come. That's it. MLA was not the end of the setting's story. It was the end of Takeru's story. Hence why they followed it up with a bunch of sequels that don't feature Takeru.

Also, the fact that these carbon based "robots" (read: us) were fighting inside silicate based "constructs" was probably an "abominable" thing for them. Imagine if humanity found a silicone based civ that fought inside of "flesh" exoscheletons. We'd be disgusted. And we'd probably teach our robots to behave with extreme prejudice against them.

Is it always Mikoto who writes Takeru a love letter at the end of Alternative, or is it based on your choices? I happened to choose Mikoto in Extra.

yes I came out of that thinking the exact same thing. I guess I just wanted more. You can't deny they hyped the shit out of the 00 unit as trying to save humanity by convincing the aliens that humans were "intelligent". When it all came down to it the conversation was handled by Takeru and was of course pathetic with him stumbling over his words and asking retarded shit over and over again even though he was trained and had everything riding on him. I just wanted more out of an 80 hour VN. idk anything. There's still zero reason why they go out of their way to fuck with humans instead of making peace, there's still zero reason why they raped Sumika, etc.

Based on your choices, was best girl Ayamine for me

> There's still zero reason why they go out of their way to fuck with humans instead of making peace, there's still zero reason why they raped Sumika, etc.
Are you fucking retarded? They outright tell you, plenty of times, in detail, how they do it in order to research humans and more efficient ways to remove them as an obstacle, either in killing them more efficiently or pacifying them. You know, like humans do in regards to pest control, except with less ethical barriers.

About raping Sumika I sort of agree, but about making peace with humans... Why would they? The BETA were probably programmed to do two things: gather mats and disregard anything that isn't "setient" for them. And given that they were created by silicone based lifeforms, they couldn't see humans as intelligent. It was literally part of their program. It makes perfect sense.

you know, i used to think like you too, but once some time passed after finishing it i very much look back on it with sepia colored glasses, for a lack of a better phrase
muv luv is the only story i look back on a daily basis. i don't think about all the important plot shit that happened in alternative, but the fun times i had in extra, and in the trilogy as a whole.
Kouki (the writer) probably never intended muv luv to be a deep story like you expected it to be. he wrote it with only one thing in mind. the journey (as cliche as that may sound).
muv luv is also the reason i stopped criticizing every little thing about stories and anime and learning to enjoy them for what they are. stories.
i dont know, im drunk. i hope i got my point across. youll truly start enjoying anime when you learn to enjoy them for what they are

All I can tell from this thread is OP speedran the VN, which is fine since a lot of people did. In like 5 years of reading muvluv threads you too will probably get the picture like so many anons before you. hey you even got in on time before the next part of the story.

>like humans do in regards to pest control, except with less ethical barriers.
I wouldn't be so sure about that, user. We'd done plenty of terrible things to animals. Studied them in any way possible.

He's not wrong, you get their motives and origins in the end but in terms of an actual conclusion it's a bit of a nothingburger.

Fair, it just comes down to tastes. I think the implications were cool

They don't even operate like that, literally all they do is attack. The only time that could be read there about them NOT attacking is raping Sumika, in which nothing from it can be implied and nothing came out of it. If you really think the BETA got anything out of that please feel free to tell me. What do they get out of pleasuring something that's just an "obstacle" to them. It's literally like rubbing massage oil into a pothole or something then.

nah I totally get what you're saying. I admit I let the hype get to me. I definentally think this is a good VN, and I really enjoyed the journey. I just think a lot of what people like about it is totally different than what I liked about it.

I read it in the same pace. So far I haven't seen any kind of interpretation different than what I got out of it. Maybe I just didn't enjoy the same content.

The sumika scene is there because it's a vn and there needs to be h scenes, it sucks but that's how the genre is, especially back them

>They don't even operate like that, literally all they do is attack. The only time that could be read there about them NOT attacking is raping Sumika, in which nothing from it can be implied and nothing came out of it.
Oh my god, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt but you're actually a fucking speedreader. Try watching the introduction of Alternative again where the soldiers discover the Hive and maybe you'll have a realisation.

>best VN of all time
That's Umineko.
You can look at it as them trying to figure out how to pacify humans, or just pressing biological buttons and seeing what happens. Really, it's mostly there because of though

Two part of the VN I really dislike

>Keep introducing all those characters from previous series only to kill them next chapter
>Ending feeling unsatisfying when Takeru just decided to go back and forgot all that he has been through
Rest are great
The first Susanoo introduction was hyped as fuck and remain my favourite scene of the VN