Were video games better back then because programming was more difficult?

Were video games better back then because programming was more difficult?

Attached: 7621B673-87DB-4C21-B165-38DD2DCBECCA.jpg (480x270, 42.18K)

Back in the 90s it looked like it's was just a bunch of friends hanging out and making cool shit, and not the professional environment it is now.

Nah. It's because it was an enthusiast hobby by small groups of highly competant individuals who were usually friends and could work well together.

barrier to entry is ALWAYS a good thing.

No, videogames were much worse. The games today are far superior. This has been democratically decided by the fact that people play the new games and not the old games.

no, games were better because computers were expensive so most poor people kept themselves out

arguably graphics programming was easier when all you had is some area in memory to write pixels to

video games were not better, you're just a burnout who is here to whine

These are all correct

Was programming more difficult? The languages were a lot simpler and you didn't need to know fucking 10 of them before you could make a single game
All the code could easily be hand written onto a 12kb chip, now every game takes up more than the hard drive running the computer in that screen shot
Games these days have teams of tens or even hundreds of people because you need shit like networking, modellers, engine teams, various programmers and even web developers to get games running
Shits harder than ever and no one person can develop a game on the scale companies would have them these days, relegating small teams to indie shit

>Were video games better
they weren't are you fucking retarded

This.
t. 30+ boomer

This comment gives me deja-vu. I "feel" like I've seen it in multiple other threads, months ago, yet can't specifically remember if I did. Is this a meme comment that is posted often?

Back then people weren't in it for the money that much, nowadays theres too much fees and crap and licensing

This.
t. 30+ boomer

Funny I started taking coding up as a hobby (full time RN). I feel tech becoming more mainstream has caused a paradigm shift in all products relating to it. Mind I'm basing this off the sole fact that I now realize how difficult it is to write a basic program in python.

they were definitely much more optimized, definitely
the 4mhz processors of the time were slow as fuck, requiring you to optimize your code well, unlike the 8-core 3.6ghz processors of today

limitations required genius
it was genius that fit a game as big as the first final fantasy into 20kb
it was genius that ported resident evil 2 onto the n64
it was genius that made doom and quake (just in general)
programming w/o limits = programming w/o the need for genius = standardized mediocrity

>they were definitely much more optimized
I get the sentiment but it feels a bit unfair considering the amount of systems needed in today's vidya compared to old
it's not like programmers today just put in quadratic functions just for fun

I was gonna ask if it was really harder, or if OP meant not as many people were good at it so it seemed hard at the time.

the problem with current games they try to milk as much money out of whales as possible, what are you even talking about?

Hollyjewwood realized videogames were coming for it, and used their piles of cash to try to suppress the competition

Thats why games started getting shitty in the early 2000s and continued getting worse and why Capeshit will always be bad. They want normies to think videogames gives them motion sickness and migranes, when really its deliberately shitty FOV, controls, lag, and a million other small things

And now they want to inject legacy Celebrities.
>OMGG WHOLESOME KEANU CHUNGUS
bitch when has keanu reeves had anything to do with videogames ever

Games were better because there were no women, troon freaks or woke-shitters fucking everything up.

Were they though? They only old games you can probably think of is the ones that people still talk about because they were good, but there were lots of stinkers too. Obviously monetization has gone to shit, but outside of that there's still tons of good games coming out, just avoid long running AAA game series.

>programming was more difficult
In what fucking world.

Everything was easier back then. Limited scope, limited scale, limited infrastructure, and limited design, due to an overall lower technological level and options.

In the case of games, this isn't as pronounced, but in case of computer and software engineering, it is enormous.

Actually, I'd say yes. Developers had very specific hardware limitations to work with and the goal was to design a game that would use all the capabilities of that hardware. This provided a set scope for the game to be designed and built in. Nowadays, you can just literally make anything and it could be 1 billion gigabytes in 4k with 9.2 IMAX sound and yet the game can still generic and uninspired. The studios just sell brands or trends at this point instead of actually interesting and unique games.

"Programming" was actually easier than it is now, you complete faggot. C64 had a built-in basic intrepreter waiting for you the instant you powered up the unit. Altough, C64 basic is not really a programming language but that's another thing.
The issue with devs these days is that the knowledge is inherited and it gets diluted down. I.e. the amount of really good people gets down the more popular a craft becomes. It's a cultural issue because of phones and youtube videos versus the need for learning to type to be able to do anything

This. This is why the nineties was the best decade post WWII. Technology and culture were shifting and the US was in an economic boom. The perfect storm of creation and new ideas.