Why did it never reach the level of widespread love as the games they were based on?

Why did it never reach the level of widespread love as the games they were based on?

Attached: yookalaylee.png (1024x1024, 1.96M)

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/hacks/4961/
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because it was worse in almost every way

Also jontron did nothing wrong

Hat in Time better. Fuck Yooka.

Big empty levels. Boring as shit to move around.

I'll never understand the hate brigade this game received.
It's only problems are shit that also applies to the Banjo series.

Because it's shit and understood absolutely nothing about what made Banjo great.

I liked it
fuck youtube critic faggots

Maybe banjo tooie but banjo kazooie was solid and straightforward without tedious backtracking and retarded mini games

It also had more than reskinned enemy type

Yeah, DK64 is pretty shit, isn't it?

It lacks the SOVULL of Banjo games

1. Characters are unappealing and blocky.
2. Levels have bland theming.
3. Levels are too big and empty. Some condensing of the game area and good level design would work wonders.
4. Instead of having 10 levels it has 5 that you expand to be even bigger.
5. Each level has you doing the same thing for the rip-off Jiggies, which gets tedious.
6. Too many mini-games.
7. Threw jontron under the bus.
8. Excuse plot makes no sense.
9. It's a soulless ripoff of Banjo-Kazooie.

Attached: Banjo Kazooie classic.jpg (1400x700, 286.34K)

Yes, yes it is.

Attached: dk trans rights ok.jpg (1196x876, 201.56K)

I still dont understand the fanatism on Hat in Time.

There are so very many little reasons.
The biggest of them is the level design itself. BK was limited in physical dimensions because of how they made their engine, this forced them to intertwine all the content in a limited space leading to gameplay that "flowed" from jiggy to jiggy. And it was easy to remember what you had and hadn't done because it was all so tightly contained. YL on the other hand takes approx. the same amount of content and spreads it very thin over large levels. It means a whole lot of useless walking because...
...the movement options suck compared to BK. Just traversing the world is weird and janky with the roll move being limited use and the flight move being weird and broken.
The game also seems unfinished. Towards the end of the game they just sort of stopped. There's chunks of the map that look like stubs and placeholders where they've either planned to put something or had something and whipped it out.
The mini-games lack the variety, they lack the charm.
What I think happened is they had a good idea of how to make Banjo Kazooie 201X, but they used Unity. I don't mean Unity is a bad engine, but the problem is that if you try to use a 3rd party system as the lynchpin of your project you're going to have a bad time. You'll spend far too much time wrestling with problems not of your own making, being frustrated that there is not enough information to fix it, waiting on replies from your premium support contact that are insultingly incompetent. Eventually, they got 1:1 support because Unity realised they were the big game they desperately needed, but by this point they were nearly 2 years late and Team17 wanted it OUT NOW so it lacked polish.

DK64 is fun. But annoying

Cause who the fuck could ever emotionally connect with Yooka-Laylee? There's nothing new or exciting about either YL or TIL. It's all a bunch of gameplay ideas from good games thrown together and filtered through a bunch of mediocre developers resulting in this forgettable grey sludge of a franchise. Even if you did like the games for whatever reason, the writing is mostly that insecure SO QUIPPY AND META Joss Whedon bullshit that keeps reminding you that you're playing a game. It's like Playtonic tried to make the most forgettable franchise in history.

Attached: untitled.png (477x350, 43.88K)

Try it with the tag anywhere mod.
romhacking.net/hacks/4961/
It made the game 110% better for me, but sadly it's incompatible with the copy protection patch (despite what it says) so if you want to use an older everdrive you'll get your save nuked at some point.

You missed the train, user, Banjo Tooie and DK64 are pretty looked down on these days as being dull, repetitive and padded.

Yeah I imagine it's way better if you can switch Kong whenever.

I think that Rare had a problem where they could only copy someone else's idea and refine it. BK was a Rarified Mario64, Diddy Kong Racing => Mario Kart 64, DKC => Any Nintendo Platformer... This is fine, take an established concept and add the rare furry charm and technical chops. But the problem is that they themselves didn't quite understand what worked and what didn't and so when you get something like TIL that should be DKC, they instead made DKR. YL isn't Mario64 it's Banjo Tooie but worse.

What? DK64 is known as a Minigame fest, sure, but Banjo Tooie is still seen as one of the best collecthaton.

Hell, people love Collecthaton, Ubisoft games make millions out of them.

Like I said, you missed the train.

Ever since Rare stopped copying Nintendo's games the quality of their games started going down for sure, but it might either be that they don't know how to come up with their own ideas or that the talent was started to get burned out and/or leave as well. I don't know. What I do know is that Playtonic really isn't the OLD SCHOOL RARE they sold themselves as back when the first Yooka Kickstarter was announced. More Playtonic employees worked on Nuts & Bolts than on the original Banjo-Kazooie.

I liked it a lot and switching wasn't annoying to me because I enjoy the levels

It wasn't Nuts & Bolts 2.

>1. Characters are unappealing and blocky.
Just like the series it was based on?
>2. Levels have bland theming.
>3. Levels are too big and empty. Some condensing of the game area and good level design would work wonders.
So just like Tooie?
>4. Instead of having 10 levels it has 5 that you expand to be even bigger.
Fair, but that doesn't mean Kazooie and especially Tooie's levels are any better.
>5. Each level has you doing the same thing for the rip-off Jiggies, which gets tedious.
So just like what Banjo did for their ripoff power stars?
>6. Too many mini-games.
>7. Threw jontron under the bus.
Fair, especially since A Hat in Time kept Jon's cameo.
>8. Excuse plot makes no sense.
So just like Kazooie?
>9. It's a soulless ripoff of Banjo-Kazooie.
Just like the series it was based on, but ripping off Mario 64 instead?
Yooka-Laylee sucks, but that doesn't mean Banjo is magically better just by being older.

>but Banjo Tooie is still seen as one of the best collect-a-ton.
nope, Rare did one good game, Banjo Kazooie.

>nope
Brah, I played Tooie at Release and less than 5 years ago. Still a great game.

I didnt miss it, I was in it when it was built. Played Kazooie, Tooie and DK64 on release.

>Just like the series it was based on?
wrong.
wrong.
>So just like Tooie?
And Tooie is a bad game, like Yooka Laylee
wrong, and BK did better.
>So just like Kazooie?
"Brother goes rescue his little sister from bad witch"
Woah, it's so nonsensical...
again, WRONG.
>Just like the series it was based on
wrong.
>but ripping off Mario 64 instead?
You are not even trying.
>but that doesn't mean Banjo is magically better just by being older.
Not because it's older, it's because it's better and the game still flawless hold up to this day.

Now fuck off.