Two Questions

1. Why did this game flop?
2. Can the 3D platformer ever make a comeback?

Attached: capsule_616x353.jpg (616x353, 121.71K)

>1. Why did this game flop?
Levels designs sucked, giant and empty, people wanted a game closer to banjo kazooie but got a bigger banjo tooie and
>2. Can the 3D platformer ever make a comeback?
Anything things possible but the genre itself is stigmatized so it's pretty unlikely

It flopped because it was shit. It's not because of problems in the genre, it's because the people who made it didn't understand what made the genre good at all. 3D Platformers can survive and even thrive so long as people don't get suckered in by more "from the producers who saw Shrek" tier marketing bullshit.

>but the genre itself is stigmatized

What? Why?

>Levels designs sucked, giant and empty, people wanted a game closer to banjo kazooie but got a bigger banjotooie
Couldn’t have said it better myself. One gripe I also had is that the helper NPCs were just randomly and haphazardly thrown into the world. At least in banjo Mumbo had his hut and wumba had the wigwam. In YL science bitch was randomly standing in some corner of the level and it just felt very sloppy and amateur. Another issue I had is that the music notes weren’t placed in a way that led you to points of interest and were kind of just randomly thrown all around the level like “go collect this bitch”

levels felt like big unity tech demo pre purchased asset packs

Couldn't tell you, it's just generally seen as a boring genre

The 2D sequel is great.
The 3D platformers are having a sort of a micro-revival but nothing major. Play Demon Turf.

It was a worse Banjo-Kazooie. Kind of impressive when Banjo was never good to begin with.
As long as it's not a "janitor simulator" type of game, I'd be fine with it.

>Can the 3D platformer ever make a comeback?
Probably nothing will be as good or as popular as A Hat in Time or Spyro Reignited, but there are still new ones coming out pretty regularly.

Kao the Kangaroo just came out to give an example.

Attached: ss_7408e98fdebb1d3d172f42a99c9218e874910c53.1920x1080[1].jpg (1920x1080, 479.47K)

It felt super sloppy and amateurish and not from a team of devs who have been in the game for 30+ years

I love how people bitch about Yooka Laylee and Tooie, but in the same breath praise Odyssey, when its the same exact tepid shit just with bingbing wahoo on the cover.

How well did that game sell? Something tells me they may be getting made more again but they aren't even selling a million copies. I guess Spyro did but Spyro is a long established name at this point and that trilogy was a despicable nostalgia cash grab.

The game is legitimately a piece of shit, holy shit it's impressive just how incompetent the Rare devs are. Nintendo dodged a fucking nuke by letting Microsoft buy them.
Possibly, stuff like hat in time are high quality and the crash and spyro remakes made a lot of good will too. But Yooka Laylee has legitimately damaged the genre identity and a lot of people think the genre is inherently bad now.

Cause the majority of devs making 3D platformers think they need to be brain dead easy games aimed exclusively at small children. See New Super Lucky's Tale for a recent example. 10/10 everything except for the difficulty which tanks it to a 5/10.

And then there's a minority of speedrunners/autists making "gitgud" 3D platformers like Cloudbuilt. These are again unplayable by normal people. Blue Fire and Demon Turf have some of these elements too.

game was shit and the devs are tranny faggets, instead of keeping their retarded idealogies to themselves they had to make a big stink about john tron.

shutting the fuck up is good for everyone.

shitty toiler cleaner game and the kangaroo isn't yiffy

>How well did that game sell?
Pretty poorly. It doesn't help that the devs got greedy and priced the game really high outside of the US/EU. It costs more than CP2077 in my region, despite being a $30 game.

If Nintendo still owned Banjo I'd guarantee that series would still be getting nothing but praise but I also think Nintendo would have treated it way better. In fact it would probably be thriving right now.

rare became tranny pedo groomer studio, maybe that was because of Microsoft who knows but not even nintendo would have saved them.

Well the original was never popular though so this shouldn't be a shocker to them. I didn't even remember it existing at all.

I love Tooie and hated Yooka. Tooie's worlds are bigger but not the retardation that Yooka is. It's like a 15 hour game which is fine for a platformer while Yooka's worlds are over 10 times as big with only like twice as much content.
Plus Tooie had a lot of stuff Yooka is somehow missing like fast travel in the overworld and levels, shortcuts between all the levels, reduced collectathon nonsense, and actual level design.
Yooka Laylee somehow manages to be worse than both Kazooie and Tooie in every way outside of newer graphics.

I literally only know about this game because they removed JonTron over political reasons. Not the best publicity when your colorful mascot platformer also stands for BLM or something like that.
There's also a tranny flag in A Hat in Time so perhaps twitter politics are a staple of the genre, I don't know. I generally prefer cinematic platformers.

It was unfinished
It already did with the superior impossible lair

They did. One or two are released every other year. Last one came out last month, even, Kao The Kangaroo. But they will never be as ubiquitous as shooters or metroidvanias, if that's what you consider a comeback, since children now mainly play games with build and crafting mechanics.

Everyone's shitting on the level design and stuff which is fair but can we take a moment to shit on the writing?
All the characters and dialogue felt soulless compared to Banjo and half the time the game wouldn't shut the fuck up about "Dude we're a Kickstarter game! 3D platformers are so old and retro!"

They fucked up the regional pricing. It's affordable for me on Xbox marketplace but expensive on Steam.

And if it sold poorly it's because there was no marketing prior to release. It was announced earlier this year and then it was released. I don't think i saw a popup news entry on Steam about it, or a Storepage banner.

Considering the original game is obscure as fuck, it didn't sell well at all. They were pretty much entirely banking on the "le ebin obscure scotformer" appeal, which, surprise surprise, isn't very appealing to most people. It's a generic platformer outside of that.

I think something similar happened to the adventure game genre, plenty of good games by smaller studios came out each year, but the gaming media still acted like The Walking Dead Season 1 was "reviving" the genre.

Zoomer that go introduced to platformers through reignited here, how does the kao reboot compared to reignited?

>YL tanked their reputation just a week or two before release by announcing the removal of JonTron's voice lines from the game
>the only part he had in the game was some grunts and yells for ONE (1) npc's dialogue, that only appeared one time in the whole game
lol
lmao, even

Rayman 4 could save platformers but unfortunately Rayman’s creator, Michael Incel, has lost all faith in gaming.