Hipster Shit?

Is Disco Elysium hipsters latching on to Planescape: Torment and way overdoing all the hipster shit? Or is it actually good?

Attached: disco_elysium.jpg (1215x736, 646.65K)

>Is Disco Elysium hipsters latching on to Planescape: Torment and way overdoing all the hipster shit?

It's more of angry slightly funny communist twitter shitposters trying to make an essay about communism and shitting on other ideologies under the guide of a noir CRPG.

>Or is it actually good?

It's not really but there are people who like it (i assume because they agree with the message) so, if you're a commie yourself, by all means go play it.

If you're a noir enthusiast don't get near it

Attached: Harry Du Bois.jpg (2214x3072, 722.74K)

Planescape: Torment was hipster as fuck user

I thought it was okay but I’m not particularly political so I kinda just picked a bunch of boring choices. Going fully into one ideology is probably more fun.

fpbp

I wanted Planescape: Torment 2. Tides of Numenera failed to deliver for a number of reasons - mainly being tryhard, but at least it had some aspects of the original in terms of going on an adventure, and being a badass, sort of. The world was over-done, but still somewhat interesting. Overall, a very forgettable imitation.

Then there is Pathologic, which is probably the closest a game has come to Planescape in terms of being weird and unique, as well as having choices matter, etc.

This shit was just shit.

Right, it definitely was, but it felt hipster in a good way, actually "subverting expectations", and I quote because that pretty much associates with SJWs nowadays. But Planescape actually kind of turned Baldur's Gate and all that shit on its head. The story was actually good. I will admit that it even taught me a few things>

Disco Elysium just feels 3edge5me. It tried to be something, but then you just don't care.

Then again, maybe I am just old - Tyranny was just ok, whatever the Baldur's Gate remake was trash, etc.

>Disco Elysium
>Communism thread
And you dudes wonder why everyone hates on your game. Whatever. It's your typical CRPG. It isn't bad, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

>It's your typical CRPG

It doesn't even have combat lmao.

Attached: 1637599648877.jpg (720x900, 72.81K)

Disco Elysium is all

>Comunism never works amiright lol
And then goes
>um, sweetie let me explain in unsubtle detail why right wing ideologies are heckin gross

The bias is obvious.

Attached: 6213414.gif (370x247, 1.98M)

>um, sweetie let me explain in unsubtle detail why right wing ideologies are heckin gross

The tribal guy with the groupies guarding the factory or whatever it was. That shit was just tedious. That's where it really clicked that I probably won't be missing out on much by quitting then and there.

actually kino and people who think it is communist propaganda didn't play it, it's an rpg for a reason, you decide what your character does. also he's just rick Sanchez but a detective. unhinged choices and interesting setting, easily one of the best rpgs of the decade.

>If you're a noir enthusiast don't go near it

Go fuck yourself mongoloid. If you love noir and neo-noir/Terry Gilliam movies you will love this game.

>t. Simenon/Hammett/Hughes/Elroy/Hiaasen enjoyer

It's a unique and entertaining game but completely dialogue & exploration centric, the only real gameplay is dialogue choices and what skills (that only affect dialogue & skill checks) to invest in. It filters politicfags left and right though which is fucking hilarious, as already seen in this thread. Worth a play.

You're not particularly clear on why you didn't like Disco Elysium, user. There's not much to work from in "it tried to be something, but then you just don't care".
Anyway I personally loved it as soon as I started so I can't relate. PS:T was fun but it wasn't as good as DE. PS:T felt like reading a schlocky genre fiction book, but DE feels like it's actually good.

>CRPG without comment

Thank fuck, I'm buying it now, thanks user.

>If you love noir and neo-noir/Terry Gilliam movies you will love this game.

DUDE IT LITERALLY VIOLATES, OUTRIGHT RAPES, the most important rule in murder mysteries, the villain HAS TO BE PART OF THE CAST.

The game baits players with a "dude you're totally investigating a murder" and suddenly turns into a shitfest of politics, dykes and your partner constantly harrassing people and threatening to use police brutality because someone said "welcome".

You're a sad pathetic shill. The game treats the investigation like garbage, at no point Harry being a cop is relevant because the game quickly derails into "haha he's an alcoholic suicidal fuck because his ex something left him haha"

Kill yourself. The game fails at every single element in noir except having alcohol and smoking present.

Attached: Cole Phelps.jpg (619x348, 68.62K)

Disco Elysium is shit, but people of poor taste like them. You can't blame them for having poor taste. They don't know what they don't know.

It's disingenuous. I enjoy nuance and I think games like gamedec handled it better.
Yes, the game with They/them character creator.

Go play the latest Ubisoft blockbuster if you want a product with zero authorial intent

I think at the end of the day, it felt like a hipster self-pat on the back. Aka - "it's ok to be a pointless nobody, most people are, but you can still get drunk and get in funny situations along the way."

But then it contradicts itself by going on a pseudo-intellectual power-fantasy of outwitting the bartender, brown parody of a neo-nazi, etc.

At the end of the day, I think it felt petty and poorly done. Furthermore, I think Planescape genuinely had a lot to teach - Dakkon on his Buddhist principles, the old witch on what ritual / habits are, etc. That shit was truly profound. DE was none of that.

>another person filtered by absurdist politics in disco elysium
a tale as old as time

I'd say that's somewhat accurate. It piggybacked off the "Torment has bad combat" meme to justify removing combat, the deepest dimension of any CRPG, altogether. I was on board for something new until I played it and realized removing combat didn't make the game better because they didn't work any harder on the other parts than every CRPG developer does. It's amazingly light on content (they outright lied about this), freedom and story choices are worse than most games, and it has the "CRPG special" of a rushed late game.
It doesn't touch Torment imo. The story isn't nearly as good in terms of plot. It's not as tight thematically. It really drops the ball incredibly with party members. All the Torment party except maybe one or two of them are better than Kim, and the fact he's the only one (other than one other who can be there at the ending instead of him) is pure laziness. And worse of all, it's not even as mature as Torment, and Torment is a children's damn fantasy game.

Well good thing it's neither a murderystery nor film negroid. Ever read Borges?

>Nigger watched Double Indemnity once

Election nigger tourists hate it but it's a great game