How exactly did gaming go from being a nerds hobby to a hub for hyperconsumerist drones so fucking quickly?

How exactly did gaming go from being a nerds hobby to a hub for hyperconsumerist drones so fucking quickly?
Gaming PCs. If I had a dollar for every person I heard who knew nothing about computers except the name of their $1,000+ graphics card brag about being an expert. People are purchasing hardware more powerful than you'd find in some machine learning research papers to play games that can run on a $500 machine. Not to mention all of the associated scams, like gaming chairs and RGB faggotry
Live service games. $60 AAA online pvp games just don't exist anymore. Instead their filled to the brim with cosmetic that cost $20+ that you will find a depressing number of people wearing. The worst part is that fanboys of these games will play constant damage control for this shit, I've seen apex fanboys unironically defend paying $150 for weapon skins before.
Gacha Games. This is essentially the same as the AAA live service games except the skins are more expensive on average due to being locked behind gambling and there just isn't any gameplay
Stream donations. This one baffles me the most, there are literally grown men who donate money to multimillionaires for nothing in return

Attached: RGB.jpg (4032x3024, 1011.93K)

When I started skateboarding shit was cool, now everyone is faggot. Times change nigga.

Streamers becoming celebrities and role models.
When you think about it, gaming PCs are basically tuner cars for nerds.

no shit genius

>How exactly did gaming go from being a nerds hobby to a hub for hyperconsumerist drones so fucking quickly?
Only in """""""""""""""""developed"""""""""""""""""""" countries. Enjoy your decline.

Attached: 0a1.jpg (643x820, 75.06K)

Poorfag alert.
LED lights have been in PCs since the 90's, newfag.
Modern gaming is dead correct, you scored 1 out of 3 OP!

Attached: 1655447369184.png (1046x752, 454.74K)

>gaming PCs are basically tuner cars for nerds.
except they're not for nerds anymore. Now it's just another consoomerist right of passage. If you go to an American middle or highschool right now you will hear teenage boys talking about their graphics cards in the same way they would brag about a new pair of sneakers or mom buying a new car for their 16th birthday

I've never seen someone owning a transparent PC case before 2015

Fucking leds

Mother of newfag

Attached: 1655447705016.jpg (290x250, 18.03K)

That's a LOT of words for
"I can't afford a PC".

>If you go to an American middle or highschool right now you will hear teenage boys talking about their graphics cards
underaged b&

>from being a nerds hobby to a hub for hyperconsumerist drones
Nerds grew up and got high paying jobs = higher budgets = women notice money = more popular = normalfags flood in = normalfags buy shit they don't need with money they don't have
>to play games that can run on a $500 machine
>all of the associated scams, like gaming chairs and RGB
That's what advertising will do to you. Shit you don't need with money you don't have.
>$60 AAA online pvp games just don't exist anymore
Everyone wants to make money money, plus inflation is a thing. Money printing is how all empires die, eventually. Should have pushed back against lockdowns to prevent a cough.
>I've seen apex fanboys unironically defend paying $150 for weapon skins
Addicts with sunk cost fallacy. Just leave them be, you don't care about gambling addicts either.
>Gacha Games
Natural evolution of gaming. Piracy proof and harnesses the rich to giver free entertainment to the poor, plus you can take higher risks because of venture capital funding it all so it's bound to be less safe, boring and sanitized as usually expected of games from the western hemisphere.
>Stream donations
Lonely people with money. I should say, lonely people with money in first world countries. It's one of the "perks" of being closer to the heart of the empire. More parasitic behavior which is enabled by a rich and decadent society. Worry not, it won't last forever.

Attached: 1618763644214.jpg (612x560, 67.38K)

that's because you turned 10 years old in 2015 you dumb faggot. i used pic related in my computer class in elementary school literally before you were born. if grade schools were willing to pay for these, what do you think the private consumer market looked like? read a fucking book you zoomer faggot.

Attached: Ezb39_FXMAIYuJ3.jpg (400x267, 20.44K)

That's because you were born in 2004.

always is.

Attached: 198273892173.jpg (523x720, 197.94K)

Graduated highschool 3 years ago, they were doing it then I'm sure it's just gotten worse since

I have a PC, $600, have never encountered a game it couldn't run

At low settings I'm sure anything can run yeah!

Not him, but you kids reeeally overestimate the system requirements of the console-oriented AAA trash nowadays. Not to mention if you built or bought your PC before Corona, you indeed could have paid less than 1/3rd of the current prices and get a turbo machine.

My local shop was selling their "older" RTX 2070 equipped PCs away for the price of the GPU itself just before the pandemic, trying to make more space for the upcoming 3000 series systems (that never really arrived).

>pump mounted above radiator

Attached: 1593131108060.png (442x442, 466.66K)