Mmo has huge world

>mmo has huge world
>everyone collects in one or two areas
>the rest of the world is dead content
how do we fix this?

Attached: 1655380724504.gif (220x220, 416.17K)

Make the world actually interesting.

take notes from mabinogi

let player guilds/factions fight over territory in the world and allow them to put tolls on it or something idk MMOs are gay

What does mabinogi do

That honestly isn't the worst idea.

But Gridania is cozy as fuck while Ul'dah and Limsa are shitholes

Events people can fast travel to, that gives good loot so people wanna do the events, events landst for 5-10min and are "rare" but there is one PR zone or more. Like fallout 76.

Fill it with something other than trees and fodder enemies.

>How do you fix basic human herd behavior

That's just what EVE online does.

That's guild wars 2 with the zone bosses that pop up where people go to each one in order. If you're a newbie in a zone just to clear it chances are you'll have the zone boss pop up at least once when you're in that area and a huge wave of people will come and it felt pretty emergent.

Thing is a lot of features that make mmo's feel more alive are not in any way beneficial to contributing to the late game that mmo's all seem to need to have nowadays to survive.

>have no auction house
>no banks, use bags of holding or
>player housing
>guilds build and run towns, npc towns are just quest hubs
>focus on guild/faction warfare as the endgame so not everyone can use one town
fixed
ez

The Legion pre-launch event did a pretty good job at getting the old zones populated. Everyone was gearing their pvp twinks like crazy off that shit. MMOs need to encourage people to have alts but not cap every alt.

Well all sandbox mmo's are like that, I think he meant like on top of your typical theme park mmo the zones can get conquered as a meta kind of game on top that keeps people coming back.

>on top of your typical theme park mmo the zones can get conquered as a meta kind of game
...Anarchy Online?

I like the idea of removing auction house and banks, even if a mmo wants them it can be a ui tab that can be opened anywhere. keeps people from bank standing and forces them to find a pretty location to interface stand instead.

I've been thinking of an idea where the players have their own houses/rooms but it's only the inside of them, so that when they join a world that interior just gets placed into a free standing house within a prebuilt isekai-esque city and then you walk out of your room you're always met by this active playerbase of shops and other people running around.

The houses would be set up all around and mixed in next to shops and as players join and leave the house internals get despawned but new people can join and come out of them. I noticed that for a lot of games with player housing the player housing areas are totally dead because they aren't a part of the world because they take up too much space.

Attached: 1632627853440.jpg (500x994, 179.04K)

you need a reason for plays to be in it.

even devs today cant make a world map correctly. look at new world they had all the starter areas in the center of the map and were like "we dont know why this starter area in the center of the world that can get all low teir trade items is the main trade hub" so they just make all auction houses global and connected killing the market in other towns that could only get 1 or 2 resources. i was making bank trading between 2 towns then that update happened

ill forever hate the new world devs, the game could have been so much more with just someone thats played any pvp mmo in charge. i did make a lot of money duping gold so not that big of a loss

Attached: mad.jpg (1088x774, 176.39K)

it was honestly great back in the time before auction houses
you asked players "hey do you know any good crafters?" then you got a name, messaged them and then you had to seek them out in the world
it took ages compared to buying something in seconds of the AH, but you socialized and got put in situations where even the most shy retard could make friends
i genuinely hate the AH, but its just one of many shitty aspects of modern mmos

Without auction houses you just get areas where everyone stands and spam chat with offers.

like a real marketplace

people do not want that anymore or at all desu

poe players hate there is no auction house to the point that trades can be done with bots.

or worse the one person on the server that has the enchant/item you want is a massive faggot so you have to do his song and dance anytime you want something

i would get people to COD me stuff then id never take it out of the mail just to remove it from the market for 1-2 weeks

Add sandbox elements and valuable item drops everywhere for crafting components and specialized pvp zones with interesting terrain.

MMO design is easy for anyone who actually likes MMOs, you do horizontal progression instead of vertical.

Sadly people who play and design MMOs HATE them, which is why everything is a generic WoW clone, no creativity or risk allowed, only addiction fuel. Blizzard has as many psychologists as they do senior programmers on their staff.

Attached: 7b68af2180a0d28e4686502c84711a9314142cc6.jpg (1400x1209, 3.85M)

I know people give GW2 a lot of shit and I get it but I did always appreciate that levelling was tied to map completion and even a lot of early level maps still have important events so none of them ever feel truly dead.

Players congregate to one location because it is typically a hub from which they can travel anywhere quickly whether through some teleportation system, or simply because the game is a bunch of instanced bullshit and they can start a raid from anywhere and there's literally nothing else to do.
Instancing and such shit needs to go. Almost everything should be World events. That alone would get players moving around and exploring as opposed to waiting for their next raid matchmaking to fill up.

And I'd say take a page from Black Desert and EVE, have a real time trade and transport system which players can participate in. Make players willing to travel to every location, even if passively (BDO lets you automatically travel along roads to each stop on your carriage). Give benefits and rewards to engaging in some part of the mercantile side of the game, whether the harvesting, crafting, trading, selling, or transporting, and then have some events play around them.
For example, player transports on the road should occasionally spawn a band of NPC highwaymen, their difficulty and the loot they have being relative to the cargo being transported.
Players should be able to place their own house anywhere like the old days of Ultima and SWG, and not just rent a place at a designated homestead. True player-created cities. Said cities (player made or game-established) would then be regularly sieged by enemies, prompting players to come to aid, both for fame and fortune.

Interacting with the world should make the world react, not the other way around.

Yes, it was the absolute best in SWG. Each server had renowned top crafters of each profession, merchants and harvesters. They would usually have their own vendor at their home or guild city, sometimes a secondary but easier to reach location, and would advertise their coordinates and goods to get attention. It was wholly organic and worked extremely well.

I remember guild wars 1 had 2 areas that were where everyone went to trade like that. Basically you end up just doing the same thing as an auction house where instead of everyone standing at the place to use the auction house they just stand in the place where everyone barters.

I wonder what would happen if speaking range to show up in the chat box was super small so you actually had to walk up and talk to people, or look at people to see their chat bubbles. People might actually talk to other people then.

the one MMO I played with consistently alive leveling content has a reincarnation system that keeps experienced players redoing the leveling, which means there are constantly people to group with for new players.

i dont give a fuck what people want, people are fucking retarded

Yea haha maybe we can get Amazon to fund it and release it for late 2021

im saying youre a small group that doesn't want an auction house, everyone else just sees chat spam or player shops taking space everywhere

Attached: sausaget1.jpg (899x638, 95.26K)

That's true for the real world too.

copy runescape