PCSX2 with PS2 CD's

I don't know much about emulating or how to get emulators to work correctly. I was wondering, if I have a physical copy of a game, would I be able to use something like PCSX2 to play the game? I've seen little stuff here and there about this topic but I wanted to see if anybody else knew anything before I invest in an external disc reader to do it

I just want to play the games I love again

Attached: Mgs3box.jpg (266x375, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/8dbgWxBpULw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah you can use physical disks. I don't know how to but you can get an answer in like 10 seconds if you use google.

Pcsx2 is already shit as is so playing it from a disk reader will be suffering. If you really want to be ethical burn the CD into an iso. Or just get it from Vimms Lair.

I have a better question, how the fuck are you supposed to do actions that require the pressure sensitive buttons when emulating?

Use a Dualshock 3.

I was unaware of Vimm's Lair. I don't really know much about emulators. I've tried to get PCSX2 up and running but I couldn't figure it out. Mostly because the sites recommended to get the games have been shut down

Bind a button to a key and set its pressure.

If you have a dvd drive or something you can tell the emulator to point to that drive.

That's good to know. I'm going to try and figure out this Vimm's Lair site. I'm really excited to see if I can play MGS3 again

What couldn't you figure out? This guys pretty good just follow him. youtu.be/8dbgWxBpULw
The hardest part will be, (depending on how good your system is), the performance. You got to look settings up if you have problems with the game.

>don't have one anymore
Guess I'm fucked.

Thanks for the video, I'll save it for later as a backup and try to get one of the emulators from Vimms to work. So far it's the DuckStation that I've chosen

That's a Playstation 1 emulator, PS2 only has PCSX2.

Ah yes, you are correct. Thank you for that. I'll download PCSX2

Hope you can get it working, MGS3 is fun. It was bit hard for me at first because I'm was bad at stealth and wasn't used to the camera and controls.

I hope so too. I miss playing old games so badly. I'll give an update if I can make it work with the video that was sent. Gotta wait for the game to download

>The hardest part will be, (depending on how good your system is), the performance.
Eh, it's not a problem with your system. I've got a mid-range PC from 2015 with a 2012 GPU and most games run at full speed, even with internal res boosted up to 1080p. There are some slowdowns here and there, but those occur only when specific things happen in-game, which points in the direction of the real cause of the shit performance: the emulator itself being a mess that relies on hacks instead of emulating the hardware accurately. Some games have serious bugs that make them unplayable, some need adjusting the renderer settings for them, etc. PCSX2 is not a good emulator, but we don't have anything else. I recommend sticking to original hardware if you can. Use OPL if you want to play ISOs and that's it.

Yeah I would like to stick with just a PS2 to play, but I'd like to also be able to stream to my friends and brother since they're far away

Yeah I know I'm just saying people who have a good PC don't complain. I can really only follow YT videos for settings since I'm not an expert on all of the settings. I think slowdowns are the biggest problem. I might have to look into the speedhack stuff.
>There are some slowdowns here and there, but those occur only when specific things happen in-game
I agree, but that's exactly what I hate because it makes it unplayable for me if the speed fucks up really bad if it requires a lot of focus like Burnout 3. There's a swamp segment in MGS3 which made the game very slow but I went through it.
>Use OPL
What is OPL?
>if you want to play ISOs and that's it
Are there other formats?

You could get yourself a GBS-C or some other scaler and capture its output for streaming but yeah, we're getting into complicated setup territory here. Certainly just using an emulator would be much easier.
Having a proper setup with a good scaler or, even better, a CRT, is totally worth it though.

>What is OPL?
Open PS2 Loader. "Hack" your PS2, launch OPL, and then tell your PS2 to load an .ISO from a hard drive or from a shared network drive. Since you're playing the game with all legit PS2 hardware, it has much less compatibility issues than emulators. It also helps save the life of the PS2's disc drive laser if you run your games from a hard drive instead of running off the discs.

Do you guys remember the old PS3 controller method
>MotionInJoy
>just install chink spyware bro
Get an Xbox and use backwards compatibility, my pal.

OPL is a homebrew launcher for the PS2, it can run games off USB, HDD or even via LAN from your PC/NAS. You need a way to launch OPL itself, usually a softmod like FMCB.
ISOs are for DVD games, those few that come on a CD have bin/cue files, but they work more or less the same.

these are the kinds of idiots who complain about pcsx2
OP probably downloaded the stable too

If you have a physical copy, why not just scare up a PS2?