Unity vs Unreal Engine

Who wins?

Attached: unity vs unreal engine.jpg (640x320, 19.92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BClRdj3U8w0
youtube.com/watch?v=Wc6lUXOhRO0
marketwatch.com/story/unity-software-loses-5-billion-in-market-cap-after-apples-changes-lead-to-self-inflicted-wound-11652291876
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

me

The one which has the less retarded shader editor.

>U vs TCHEY
Unity has the market share in mobile games at the moment. One of the big players will buy Unity if it ever tanks as a company. Tencent probably wont ever drop Epic Games, but the Unreal Engine may have it's usage shrink if cheap consumer tech slows down. In the end, the potatoes will win so Unity.

Unreal wins if the focus is on online multiplayer or your focus is on optimization.

Unity wins if your a solo dev and/or want more hand holding and shortcuts to shit out a game in time.

unity. they both suck though

unity is more of an open toolbox where as unreal is literally babying you through making the same copy paste fps game and you have to fucking fight it to make anything else

Godot

For me, probably Unity.
Too many UE4 games have that godawful shader comp stuttering.

No matter who wins the player loses since both are shit.

>Unity
- No native multiplayer support
- Features in perpetual alpha development
- Multiple input systems: one deprecated and one in alpha
- 3 UI systems: one deprecated (UGUI), one stopgap, one in alpha (UI Toolkit)
- A complete mess with no concrete vision of the future
- Only good in making cheap ad-filled 2D mobile games
- No VR support
- Unity devs do not make any games, therefore they do not know what developers really need
- Unity logo of shame

>Unreal Engine
- Native multiplayer support, things just work out of the box
- Solidifying their position as the go-to 3D game engine
- Invests a significant amount of resources in developing technologies (nanite, lumen, etc)
- Epic actually makes games, Fortnite, stress and battle testing their game engine to the real world
- Huge amount of high quality assets available for free (Quixel, GOOD free assets every month, etc)

I don't get how people think Unity is "user friendly" when UE has the blueprint system.

>proprietary
>proprietary
nobody wins.

Thanks for your input, Uncle Tim.

The fuck you on about? I've made everything from side scrollers, to RTS to a racing game (now on steam) and a straight up desktop apps for industrial applications in UE.

If you are having problems getting out of FPS template - this shit may not be for you.

Share the awesome engine they both suck in comparison to... go.

A what?

^ this guy used a 3d engine unlike most self-important fucktards ITT

But C# is so much better than C++ bruh. UE C++ is practically scripting.

It still has better functionality out of the box, the time you spend learning proper scripting is time you save by prototyping with blueprints.

>racing game in UE
UE's vehicle physics are dogshit, never been improved since fucking UT3, and anyone setting their mind on improving them will waste so much time they might as well code their own engine from scratch
every single vehicle made in UE drives like the UT3 scorpion, every single one.

I am not disagreeing its better than Unity in almost every regard.

You should absolutely learn C++ in UE. Even exposing basic UFUNCTIONs is going to take you much further than just blueprint alone.

>no VR support
>literally the only viable VR engine out there
what did he mean by this?

>No VR support
I worked on commercial Unity VR projects 5 years ago.

> anyone setting their mind on improving them will waste so much time they might as well code their own engine from scratch

You're talking about a small part of UE. Vital but small. Making your own engine because you don't like physics is asinine.

There are many plugins for vehicle physics that are pretty good... in 50-100usd range on marketplace. Or just use your own customized physics engine if you're making the next Forza.

>Unity has the market share in mobile games at the moment.
only the 2D ones and Genshin. Most of the Korean mobile games are Unreal.

>in 50-100usd range on marketplace
and then you get this: youtube.com/watch?v=BClRdj3U8w0
For 100$, some half assed standard car with the grip turned down? Yeah no. Back when I was studying it took me two man days to code better vehicle physics in Unity.

>unity is more of an open toolbox where as unreal is literally babying you through making the same copy paste fps game and you have to fucking fight it to make anything else.
No? UE literally ships with different preset starter projects for different genres. The only trouble Unreal has is with orthographic perspectives. Plus there are a shit-ton of premade blueprints for whatever genre you want.

Unity deprecated VR support.

in terms of visuals Unity has superior shading models and more customizable tonemapping but Unreal has lighting and performance that BTFOs unity's.

>Invests a significant amount of resources in developing technologies (nanite, lumen, etc)
Lumen is just a bunch of different lighting technologies lumped together, none of which were pioneered by Epic.

UE has been improving their physics engine
youtube.com/watch?v=Wc6lUXOhRO0

Exactly, the learning curve can be quite steep but at least you can spend less time optimizing shit (something people using unity seem to never do and expect you to just get an SSD + 32GB of RAM.)

Let's just say they're not in a position to work on their game engine.

Attached: Unity.png (1267x1093, 94.25K)

unity is about to collapse, expect features to be cut and more charges to offset their ad losses
marketwatch.com/story/unity-software-loses-5-billion-in-market-cap-after-apples-changes-lead-to-self-inflicted-wound-11652291876

I like how quickly you can prototype in Unity but they are getting smoked in every department that isn't mobile game ads. Also they've been spinning wheels on ECS for like five years, enthusiasm for the engine is the lowest it's ever been.

Attached: mcend-it.jpg (1200x1200, 111.11K)

this "suspension tech" was possible to do 5 years ago in UE4, the only thing they did was code a "give me vehicle" class for it.
But it still seems beyond their wildest dreams to include a fucking simulated sway bar, and you know why? Because the way their physics system is set up prevents it. It did 5 years ago and it seems like it still does.

That reminds me.
>Unity
>Roughness, metalness and smoothness sharing the same mapping by default.
May be more efficient or something but makes the task of translating somewhat a standard 3D model project into a nightmare.