What do you think of games using real people for their games?

I see a increasing trend of game studios using real people for facial capture, motion capture, etc.

What do you anons think of it? Is it the next step in gaming? Or is it all a gimmick?

Attached: Ellise Chappell from Deliver Us Mars.png (513x624, 262.38K)

Yes. Animators are talentless hacks and just put dots on people's faces.

It attracts real world acting talent that just blows out AAA games retarded budgets out even further.

she looks like a good fuck

The alternative is janky animation like in Holy Knight Ricca.

this can happen. but generally it's actually a cost saving measure: motion / facial capture can produce much more detailed and less unnerving results much more quickly than having to hand-animate every detail. this is especially a no-brainer for realistic games.

Hiring actual actors is lame.

Didnt it send the LA Noire devs broke?

It sucks and I hate it. But it is what it is.

I don't care, I just care if the game sucks or not.

Somewhere along the way developers have missed the point of what video games were intended to be.

Dishonest game developing.

The only game where I liked facial capture was Until Dawn, for 2 reasons.
First, you can tell the devs didn't just scan the actors' faces into the game and called it a day. They actually tweaked the models so they look good in-game. Most devs who use facial capture don't do enough tweaking to the scanned model, leading to uncanny valley and weird looking faces (RE Engine).
Second, it's meant to be an interactive movie, so a realistic approach to the art style makes sense, which makes the use of facial capture logical
What I don't get is why games like the modern Resident Evil titles MUST use facial capture at all costs. They're not games meant to emulate reality, so why not take a more artistic approach? Especially since the RE Engine sucks for facial capture and half the time, you end up with abominations like Mia or Claire's goblina face

Attached: 1df17b5c4c4d3c02d1b0cfbcbb4d0edb.jpg (2400x3158, 673.23K)

seems expensive as fuck, it will probrably not be used much in the future since we are leaning to a horrible global economic recession

Detroit also did a great job with face scans

Attached: charactors.jpg (1200x1200, 115.25K)

That's because it was new technology at the time and new = expensive

Resident Evil seems to have found a good middleground with Village and, judging from the footage so far, RE4 too. Faces like the old man at the beginning of Village look very stylised and they're doing more and more manual touchups to face scans like the one for Chris - it's the same face model as the one used for 7 but they adjusted it to make it look more like the character from 5 and 6. Leon's new look appears similar: it's the same face scan model from RE2R but adjusted to give him more RE4 features. I think this is a good approach to face scans but then again I didn't have a problem with the ones in RE2R/RE3 so I don't know.

Until Dawn was really kino you can see what sony funding does to video games

they were using something much more experimental and sophisticated, certainly than games of the time and even today. there's a reason nobody else has gotten facial animation that detailed since

modern motion capture rooms & equipment are expensive, but unless you're really fucking up your budgeting, it's much less expensive than paying an army of indian contract animators for 3 full years of production

Its a shame literally nothing else those devs made was anywhere near as good. I wonder what happened? Just the lesser funding? Or did like all the writers leave after until dawn?

Sony magic same for From Software.

their newest game has a similar quality to Until Dawn

Attached: the-quarry-gaming-2022_bWdpaGaUmZqaraWkpJRma2ttrWdnZ2k[1].jpg (1668x2224, 3.96M)

Na not really. The faces look plastic. LIke that big lipped white chick. Looks like a rubber mask when she talks.
Also Im tired of them using those same actors from the dark pictures games. Tell the grandma to fuck off.

animations and lighting look like shit compared to until dawn