What went wrong with Red Dead Redemption 2?

What went wrong with Red Dead Redemption 2?

Attached: 9739C534-E6A3-401E-8509-E6A82E834188.jpg (1280x720, 259K)

nothing, you just have shit taste

You said what?

You know it's a bit weird i remember RDR2 being called disappointing and outdated on release week but apparently it was game of the year. What happened?

nothing, online is dogshit though

Nothing it’s one of the best games of all time.

muh realism walking sim horse balls instead of making an actual fun game

Some adhd ridden zoomers complained about the game being slow and filled with busywork but that's about it

It's an extremely detailed and beautiful game with very inconsistent writing, quite a bit genuine woke shit and awful mission design. I put almost 200 hours into it and I'd still be hesistant to recommend it.

it had the sin of doing the same thing every other rockstar game has done for the past 20 years but because it's the newest iteration it attracted all the ire. ironically if people were so tired and frustrated with their formula back when GTAIV or even RDRedemption 1 came out, they would've considered it more important to differentiate. but they just sold what was bought and asked for and, online pissbabies or no, was still wildly successful.

the online component is just as shit as everyone says though, arguably worse than gta online. they had something perfect in the previous game, just a bunch of players thrown in the open world. overcomplicating it with this sluggish grindfest progression just throws the whole thing off. except to the most diehard of autists, I suppose.

They focused on making a game that was immersive to watch for twitch audiences bc it looked fluid like a movie, and ended up making a game that was the least immersive to play bc you never felt like you were the cowboy, rather it just felt like you were struggling to control a puppet with strings. First red dead feels like a cowboy sim even though it has fewer activities and less "content". Second one feels like trying to learn QWOP.

If a game is immersive to watch it cannot be immersive to play.

Attached: erViGf05vufHIL9XnRSU3RwEP9uom8--L42sjwu6QPo.jpg (640x905, 67.84K)

People don't have an issue with the formula, people have an issue with the extremely limited mission design in the more recent Rockstar games and that they started including questionable content in their writing.

Too realistic having to give your horse attention, the returning story characters aren't as cool the second time around and the new cast in 2 are all mostly forgettable. Maybe the map isn't as good either feeling smaller than RDR1 while technically being larger. Hard to explain I played RDR1 at least a dozen times start to finish and hundreds of hours online, cant even finish RDR2 and never touched the multiplayer.

>if you dont like movie games, youre an adhd zoomer
cool gramps, now what about the gameplay
>slow and filled with busywork
i said gameplay

>go 10 feet in another direction
>open "wrong" door
>sit on "wrong" horse
>MISSION FAILED
Fuck off, it wasn't nearly this bad in previous Rockstar games.

limited mission design has been intrinsic to rockstar's formula since GTA3. people love to exaggerate how many mission failure triggers there are in but it's nothing different from what's been established. it was just as prominent in RDR1. the story is what it is and opinions of that are a subjective matter, I have my own problems with it. I think it's fair for those flaws to make/break the game considering the game puts so much importance and focus on the narrative, but I do take issue with people acting like rockstar didn't just make like they've always done.

the most prominent criticism about the sluggish/delayed movement has been in every game they've done for example, since including euphoria physics. it's literally tied into the engine. other than horse speed, RDR2 really doesn't feel any different at all to control when compared to the first game. I don't think it's unreasonable to find issue with those kinds of controls, especially if you're someone who is used to more snappy and frame-dependent games, but I do find it odd that it's less okay now for a lot of people than it was 12 years a
go.
any mission that involved a town in 1 was laden with these issues, don't pretend otherwise lol. you can very easily get a "you broke the law" mission fail just for firing your gun the air or knocking the wrong person over with the ragdoll physics. same thing if you're following someone on-horse and delay for too long.

oh no weather, save me niggermaaaaaaaan

The game can be slow paced but if controlling a character is molasses then it's a game meant to be watched on youtube or a livestream, not played with your own hands.

Dunno, I think people are less forgiving for those things because so many other aspects of RDR 2 are unappealing. It takes forever to get started, you have to collect a bunch of useless shit to micromanage your stats, the gunplay is overly easy, etc. RDR1 was more simple and even though the same things are present the game was genuinely just easier to have fun with. It's the same for the old GTA trilogy being mostly more fun than IV or V.

In GTA3 you can just steal any car, drive to the location, enter the location from any direction and solve the problem there however you want. In RDR2 many missions fail if you do so much as open the wrong door. You're completely off with your post and I won't bother to reply any further because it's completely obvious to anyone who actually played these games.

ESL Rockstar fanboy.

Absolutely not. Nowhere near the level of rigidity that RDR2 has with it's rules. I play that game frequently and unless you go out of your way to fail, it doesn't happen.

this really
>talking with guys at work
>mention RDR2
>cut off by guido looking dudes who say RDR2 was boring
>ask what they play
>they respond with FIFA and Forza

Attached: 1636199213475.jpg (250x228, 5.68K)

They will also call thousands of other games boring, doesn't make RDR2 into some kind of special deep game you faggot.

nothing it was great

I always hated the rifle stock hanging up when it was on John's back.

Attached: 98723127664.jpg (640x912, 66.77K)

>over a year later for PC release
>another year after that for a crack

So what faggot? The story missions aren't mean to be open ended MGSV bullshit because none of these games ever did that. You are just as capable as stealing any horse you want and going to the mission with that horse and then killing whoever you have to kill in whatever you want, and if you do that in spite of a mission telling you to do something a specific way, you're just a retard that can't follow basic instructions. It's like you idiots expected every mission to be fully open ended when Rockstar has never done or promised that. If you want that so badly just go do shit in the open world. But lemme guess that's not good enough for you either. Fucking fags crying about anything and everything.

It tried too hard to be good

top kek this mexican got mad as fuck because a reaction image user made fun of fifa

RDR2 just feels like shit to play. Between the weird janky controls, input lag, and tedious animations to do any little thing.
Congrats of the level of detail. Too bad no one thought to make the game fun.

Tourist.