How did people react back in 2001 when the GameCube launched not with a Super Mario game...

How did people react back in 2001 when the GameCube launched not with a Super Mario game, but a completely different game starring Luigi?

Attached: Luigis.png (486x653, 622.1K)

well the gamecube ended up being the 5th place console that generation so as you can imagine, not very well.

Having been from that time the launch of the gamecube pissed me off. There were so many fucking titles canceled just so Nintendo could move to the gamecube. I waited years for the 64 disk drive. Earthbound 64.

I was young at the time but I was raised on the NES for years. My only other device was the GBC. The leap for me was huge so I was very happy. The graphics blew my mind

Yes same based. I was 11 when I got my n64 and if it wasn't for rare games, it would have been my least favorite console ever. I got all the magazines with new information and tried to go online at school computers to find out new releases on n64. And it was just always fucking delayed every time I checked a new issue/website update.

Nintendo got fucked for a while there because they did a lot of shitty business decisions

They didn't buy it

It was better than Sunshine.

Luigi's Mansion was one of the best video games ever made

Yeah it's something I kinda went autismo with a while back and really dug into what happened at the time.
It's pretty insane that they had the hardware ready to go, tons and tons of third parties either actively developing for it or hoping to, but they just sat on it because they kept waiting for the n64 to sell more units.
...Which couldn't happen, because all the software was going towards the disk drive. Literally all they had to do was drop the thing in the US, build it into future n64's and it'd be a smooth launch. The fear of failure guaranteed failure. And when they did launch it, what a dumb fucking choice to launch it in Japan in 99. In the US it may have at least saw some decent sales and prolonged the 64 another year.
I believe there were over 100 titles in development for it. 100 fucking titles! When it wasn't even out yet!

I don't think they I checked for new releases of games till I was like 14 or 15. Played N64 until I was like 14 even though I always had the new systems.

My brother's always had a decent library and my parents new I liked wrestling games and Zelda, so I got all of those right when they came out. GameCube actually had some of the best wrestling games. With that being said Thq was an amazing dev company and carried those games, 2k is shit

Finally bro. I swear to god I thought I was the only other autismo who looked into it but you just fucking get it. It is such a tragic story on how the n64 was handled, because rare did all they could to make magical experiences and nintendo was floundering. It got done dirty but it's definitely the most soulful (and frustrating) console ever.

>Have a Luigifag friend
>No clue why he was such a huge Luigifag back in the year fucking 2000
>He sees the green man and puts his money down
>I buy an Xbox for Blinx instead

I don't regret it
Blix is fucking great

Attached: file.png (640x335, 260.24K)

You ever dig into the virtual boy? Lot of the same stuff, just Nintendo making excellent hardware, dropping the ball on marketing and software so bad that it dies. The truly fucked part is they showcased upcoming, finished titles for it that looked really good, literally a week before pulling the system and canceling the games. Insane.

I bought both but the most memorable things for Xbox was Cel Damage and Halo

You mean third?

I can’t believe all I played on my GameCube as a kid was Spider-Man 1&2 before I moved on to the 360. I wish I had kino taste back then.

>early Xbox titles
Bloodwake and Fuzion Frenzy chads rise up

No?
PS2 obviously sold the most
PSOne sold 28 million units until 2006
Xbox sold 23 million units
Dreamcast won our heart
Gamecube was dead last.

Don't forget the gameboy, ds, and psp. Those crushed the gamecube to shortly later. The gamecube has 5 good games: super monkey ball 2, phantasy star online, mario sunshine, smash melee, and custom robo. everything else is mid or decent but a lot of flaws.

>GCN has no games
Like that

>Fuzion Frenzy

Attached: 1538997540649.png (680x378, 388.54K)

I very much enjoyed playing Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, and Melee on Christmas morning.

sovl

Fusion frenzy was so fun. I have this weirdly vivid memory of playing that with my friends older brother then we watched master of disguise. Simpler times

Nintendies loved it because, as ever, they ate any old shit and only brought Nintendo Power magazine that told them what to like. Everyone with more than one console decided that a gimmicky four hour game wasn't worth the 50 dollar asking price (now 82 dollars with inflation). It has it charm, but it's shallow and limited.

What was it like playing the Gamecube back then? Did vidya feel different back then? t. zoomer

Pressing the power button was satisfying.

There was no automatic home menu. It took you straight to the game.

>Dreamcast won our heart
Participation trophies don't count, user.

People were disappointed. Everything about Nintendo was disappointing during The Gamecube era.
>Shitty Mario
>Shitty Zelda
>No 3rd parties.
>No Halo
>No GTA
>Purple lunch box
>Had zero games to play after 03