Isn't even that good

Isn't even that good

Attached: capsule_616x353 (7).jpg (616x353, 46.93K)

all VR games get a score bonus

>the future of first person shooters!
>by the way it's built around slow gameplay and teleporting because VR makes people sick

Attached: 1625007383912.png (1500x1486, 319.7K)

It has the best sound design in any video game ever made. The graphics are also insanely good if you treat it as a VR game.

carried by the art team

I don't agree, it was very memorable.

That is correct. Simply put any FPS in VR and it will instantly become a better game. If you are worried about getting sick, then it is best to take advantage of games having training wheels now rather than complaining about them.

The movement and weapon selection was really stunted but it was pretty good at using VR instead of it just being a viewer for the same 2D controls.

I think it really shines in the Jeff segment. Because it changed the whole playstyle to a stealth horror game without needing to change the controls.

you can turn that off tho

wdym it's totally waku waku

it's still designed with it in mind

It's basic but it was really polished and felt like you were actually making a journey instead of just teleporting around various shooting gallery, both of which in the same experience were pretty rare for VR when it came out. everything was limited, and the stuff that wasn't was janky trash. Alyx struck a balance between polish and experience, that's why it's held in high regard. also it looks really nice.

It was good, but suffers from playing things too safe.

I've never played it once with blinking, I dunno why everyone thinks that's how you have to play it.
and yet it plays perfectly fine without it.

The core problem is games designed around VR need to be the lowest common denominator in a limited market segment. FPS games are already slower than they need be.

Correct. It's not even a traditional Half-Life game in terms of design.

You have your opening city segment - but then a majority of the game is spent inside dark, horror based levels that are interspersed with tiresome laser puzzles, resin finding, and the occasional Combine shootout. The only memorable parts are before you rescue Eli, then during and after the Strider boss fight. The part with the invincible enemy following you around was annoying as hell.

valve is no longer interested in making shit that people want, they are too good for that, they only make gimmicky shit because gaben thinks himself to be the steve jobs of gaming

I liked it

Attached: 1643603457747.jpg (1434x806, 261.79K)

It is Baby's first VR game but done immaculately. It's an excellent game

Most games other than Alyx are already working under the assumption that players already have experience. It is understandable why Valve decided to aim at new players, but it is the exception rather than the standard. People will not be on their first game forever and as I think you are point out, consoles already keep FPS at a pace well below what VR can work with even with aiming down sights.

>Simply put any FPS in VR and it will instantly become a better game
Yeah, no Fallout 4 VR managed to be even more shit than the original game.

The only thing it does wrong is not trust the play enough to take off the training wheels. Im going through with the dev commentary right now. Honestly a mod to remove anything that russel and alex say over the radio would be perfect

The locomotion is walking speed. Teleporting is still the fastest means of getting around without having to fuck with console settings.

The audio propagation really is fucking great. Up there with R6 Siege. A shame Valve won't backport this shit to CS:GO where you still can't tell if a player is above or below you.

It would be great to have the mobility of Boneworks in Alyx. The lore would support it too because she climbs a building in HL2. Problem there is they'd have to restrict the player a lot of the time to stop them sequence breaking all the scenes and vistas HL games like to do.

This was mainly because of menu problems when designing around the Vive controllers with no buttons, terrible optimization, and generally poor coding and bugs. As with any other Bethesda games, mods will fix up most of their problems. Simply being able to freely aim in VR was enough to make me want to keep playing through it and deal with all of the other problems.

It's great because the game has head-tracking information.

All Valve games are designed around the lowest common denominator anyway. This is the company that removes maze-like elements from their maps because they managed to find a single brain dead playtester.

it's ok. The jeff section is great, the combat and gadget puzzles get repetitive. I wish they had just made an entire stealth puzzle horror game instead of a traditional halflife.