Is dub hatred overblown?

Don't get me wrong, there are SOME cases where I'd go with the sub first. If it's a very serious show/game like Fate/Zero or Danganronpa , then I don't want to risk any of the emotional weight in the performances being lost in translation. But for more generic/fun weeb games like Neptunia or Tales, do you REALLY lose all that much "emotion" from the dub? Doesn't the ability to understand the dialogue without having your eyes glued to the bottom of the screen more than make up for it?

Attached: 1607114784510.jpg (276x277, 33.97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fyjLrp9a6j4?t=454
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Some of the hatred for dubs comes from anime. Video game dubs are somewhat less putrid because the actors and script don't have to conform to mouth flaps and scene transitions. It's kind of funny playing Persona games and seeing the voice acting quality totally plummet during the anime cutscenes compared to the text box dialogue.

discord tranny raid thread

Everyone outside of ironic Any Forums weebs agree that nep's dub is far superior to its sub.

Ehh, it'd be perfect if every scene was dubbed. The fact that scenes randomly go from voiced to non-voiced in ENG triggers my autism too much, so I'd rather just go with JP where all the scenes have voice acting.

>defending woke shit
Go back

cope and sneed

fair and agreeable.

>western aaa flopping
>chink shit is all jp dubs
English is over

Attached: EnglishCanEatShit.gif (480x270, 799.68K)

Nep dub is awful. Voices suck and localization gets worse each game.

The bait would've been better if you didn't use a clip from the MLA anime

Dubs vary in quality. First the voice actors are important, especially if several voice actors in that industry dominate it so hard that you get tired of hearing them yet again. Then you got the translations, and how faithful they can be (definitely had friends that could point out the errors and weird word choices right as we were watching with subs).

You posted a fucking Nep. You know full well how bad dub Rom is.

No it isn't.

But the most important thing I'd say is whether or not they could catch the original vision of the author, and clearly gave a damn. It's rare, but when you see it, it makes for a magical experience. I even think shit like English Bobobo actually did pretty well with the source material, given how many untranslatable Japanese puns there already are, and how the zaniness of the original allow for them to have their own take. I was actually surprised how close a lot of the fights and original writing still matched up.

Its no bait. Its just a fact that english dub will always be shit.

Attached: 1648750681986.webm (960x720, 2.35M)

>English Bobobo actually did pretty well
Neck yourself.

Not reading all that shit, I just prefer things in their original language, here in my country dubs are mostly for children or retards who can't read fast enough.
And I grew up watching anime in Japanese or sometimes in my own language so I can't get used to anime characters speaking English, it just doesn't fit them imo, furthermore I see no fucking reason to insert a third language into the mix, you know? Like why the fuck would I want a language that isn't the original but at the same time isn't my native language? It doesn't make any sense.

It's not overblown, but the hatred has its roots from another era.

Back in the 90's it wasn't a serious business.
They didn't hire actors to do the dubbing.
They just hired random losers who have never even set foot in any form of acting environment.

And this was the result: youtu.be/fyjLrp9a6j4?t=454
Ultra cringe shit, and it stayed that way for over 2 decades.

Attached: 1636878294029.png (824x720, 429.85K)

English voice acting is absolutely terrible because voice acting is considered to be the lowest caste of acting. Dubbing anime and games is what you do when you've failed as an actor.
Meanwhile, in Japan, voice acting is a top tier career. Little kids dream of being voice actors when they grow up. It's a highly valued line of work.

The only Japanese game you should ever play with English voices is Ace Combat. Everything else, always pick Japanese.

Attached: shirobako income.jpg (1024x1013, 1.08M)

Cherami Leigh gets a pass

>Is dub hatred overblown?
no. next question

Voice acting is a lot more director-dependent than regular acting. There are fewer variables, so the director has a lot more control over performance, and can give better guidance. The fact that weeb dubs have been bad for so long, in both cartoons and vidya, is due almost entirely to bad directing. Directors are an even more incestuous cliquish bunch than even voice actors; and since they're way higher on the food chain, they're harder to deal with. Remember: with every bad performance, the director said that was good enough.

Damn even my broke wagie ass makes more than almost all of these.

>Ace Combat
No.