Given Sonys abysmal BC offering on ps5 is a 60gb ps3 worth it?

Given Sonys abysmal BC offering on ps5 is a 60gb ps3 worth it?

Attached: 83D8CA3E-BE31-44EF-AA8E-6EB4104FA93E.jpg (800x533, 41.13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/usr/studiohalabi
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yeah especially if its free

Yeah I have one and it’s great.

Granted there are issues that need to be addressed. I paid $150 to get mine delidded, thermal paste replaced and capacitors replaced.

I also lucked out and had a 40nm chip installed in the one I bought on eBay.

Slim PS3 + Fat PS2 for me. BC PS3 is a meme.

Depends.

Not if you play on an hdtv. The upconversion and smoothing make it actually look ok on a modern tv.

It’s not crt quality but it isn’t eye cancer like ps2 over composite or component on a moderntv.

I was thinking about getting a PS4 since RPCS3 can do a few titles I wanted to play.

Oh, I remember my launch PS3.
Worst console, and probably worst piece of technology I ever owned.
Shit broke like 6 times and I was stuck in a 6 months long loop of repairs.

Not really an issue anymore just delid and replace thermal paste and capacitors

Isn't that what scalers are for, to compensate for PS2's interlaced signal?

Get a 90k PS2 and softmod the shit out of it. Use a GBS-C for all your upscaling needs.
As for PS3 games just get a fully moddable slim.

By all accounts tv scalers don’t help at resolutions these low and expensive upscalers like framemeister etc don’t even match the ps3s output by all online comparisons.

Granted framemeister gets it close but buying a ps2 plus framemeister will set you back as much as a ps3 and it won’t have the smoothing.

Is this viable for someone that has literally zero experience working with electronics?
I would fix it if I could do it myself, but people here wanted to charge me 100 bucks.

No, it will catch a fire as soon as you turn it on.

>tfw found a PS3 in a charity store for £30
>look up the serial code
>it's an original BC PS3
>oh shit
>original owner expanded its HDD so 140gb total
>it's ver3.15 so easily modded
But then the catch;
>it's a JPN model, so the X and O buttons are reversed and its BC functionality only applies to Japan region games

Dunno what to do with it, I want to own a PS3 again but not for any heavy usage so the Slim seems like a better long-term option, plus I'd need to do all the maintenance work on this Japanese model (delid, thermal paste etc.) before anything. Still a cool find though

Attached: 1492459775849.png (500x426, 268.09K)

>Is this viable for someone that has literally zero experience working with electronics

Honestly delidding can fuck shit up bad if you don’t know what you are doing but there’s a guy who does it on eBay who I used who is great. Can do paste, delid and capacitors.

ebay.com/usr/studiohalabi

Sell it. Japanese bc ps3s still sell for over $200 and use the profits to get a US or Euro one

Don’t buy a fat boy. They overheat like crazy and sound like a fucking jet engine

I'm in EU, but knowing that some people do that kind of stuff puts me on the right track.
Thanks.

Yeah look up local electronics stores a lot will do this stuff.

Have fun maintaining it, fucking things are ticking time bombs.

Couldn't you just jailbreak it and would the BC work then?
People always complain about Snoy being anti-consumer but it already happened way beyond our current times. What a faggot company.

A few PS2 titles that suffer slow-down or stutter run smoother on bc PS3.

I don't know if I'm unlucky, but I've gone through TWO used PS4's since 2014. The first was an OG model, the second a slim. Both died. Given that the PS4 is now 9 years old, I'm even more reluctant to buy a used PS3. Am I just unlucky?

Mine isn’t. Pure kino.

The scaler doesn't need to be that expensive. My Frankensteined GBS-8200 does the job pretty well.

Attached: 20220612_060232.jpg (4032x1816, 1.9M)