Chan

>chan
>kun
>senpai

How would you translate them or do you keep the honorifics in?

Attached: Capture.png (767x187, 124.92K)

i wouldn't

fuck american cultural language manipulation

I'd keep in the ones that don't really have a direct English equivalent.

if it's a turbo weeb game set in Japan like persona, leave them in (though they will always sound retarded in a dub, but those will always be bad)

delete honorifics.
they're from the japanese language, makes no sense why you'd not translate them

san --> Monsieur
senpai --> King
kun --> Broski
chan --> Wench

If it's a Japanese setting, keep it
Otherwise no

I wouldnt.
You never keep them in any serious tl and the only reason they kerp them in weebsona is to pander to low iq low power level weeaboos.

what’s this supposed to mean retard-kun, are you japanese?

keeping them all the time doesn't make sense
imagine there's a game about feudal Japan and you translate it
>Oda-sama, the Takeda-yaro are attacking, de gozaru!
is fucking stupid compared to
>Lord Oda, the Takeda bastards are attacking!
Case by case basis, really.

Just keep them as they are. The people that play those game are already familiar with those, and newcomers are going to search the meaning of those if they really enjoy the game.
The game shouldn't change because of newcomers, newcomers should adapt in the game's culture if they really are interested in it. Otherwise the game is just not for them.

sometimes i wish they really knock it off with "hey big bro" because it's not something you hear very often. bro, dude, cuz, man, or buddy just to name a few are more common.

San -> Mr/Mrs
Sama -> Lord, etc, depends on the title and setting
Kun -> dude, bro, etc
Chan - Name, but don't forget to call her cute or be embarassed about it sometimes. Can also be "Little Something", as it's essentially a diminutive first and foremost, it just gets stuck to girls often because they're small and cute

When the setting is literally japan it makes sense to keep japanese cultural things in there.

You fucking leave them out altogether. Why is this even a question?
>b-but muh super speshul Nipponese meaning and nuance
People can generally tell if someone is supposed to be a friend or a classmate even without being reminded of it every five seconds. Do you also think EN->JP translations should keep the EN articles for true clarity?
>The屋根が破損したthe家は今では修理が完了している
Much better, now we can finally tell with absolute certainty what house and roof the speaker is talking about.

Keep them in the text but leave them out of voice acting

Hey Mr. Sushi did you hear about Lord Ochinchin getting married to Little Sakura. Ryu dude got an invitation to their wedding!

you should leave literally every word untranslated. just learn japanese

Obviously the game set in the historical/mythical Japanese setting should keep the honorifics, no need to be so reductive.

that's honestly one of the more awful yet overlooked examples
it's not common for siblings to call each other brother/sister in 2nd person, much less insist on elder/younger distinction

You're the reason why big brudder exists.

Keep them in, it's not a hard-to-implement language quirk.
Now, about the first person pronouns...

Attached: shouyu-jo.png (2000x2000, 2.39M)

Actually a good point.
You can't say that articles don't add ANY flair aside from their main grammatical function (they can if you aren't a total ESL and know how to use 'em), but you also don't lose much by taking them out and can often use other means of conveying their emotional connotations (e.g. changing the word order for Russian). They do have a pure grammatical function you can ignore completely, but they also have secondary functions, which you can usually snake around or drop without much sacrifice.
Same with the honorifics.

Oniisan
Oniichan
Onii
Nii
Niinii
Niichan
Niisan
Ani
Aniki
Aniue

Attached: 9bbeb895c9a82b74d924a13f51bfe320.gif (400x400, 474.84K)

Highly depends. It's best to go through the entire script first to see if any Japanese autism about honorifics is directly talked about in the dialogue. If a character starts talking about being addressed by name without honorifics and you can't write around it without being awkward, then you'll just need to implement honorifics. If the script can be feasibly done without honorifics, then it's just translator preference and I don't mind either. Usually the rule of thumb is just to leave them in if the setting is Japan and not to if it isn't.

big brudder

Based
Just sell the Japanese version overseas, no need for localization
Only those who qualify should be allowed to play those games

Actually I just remembered that one VN that had someone localize "tsundere" as "male entitlement" .
So in order to avoid that I'm gonna agree with the user that said you should leave everything untranslated.

The proper translation for those situations is to call the characters by name, because that's how native English speakers talk. These weird constructs with honorifics and "big bro" inserts change the characters from normal native speakers of their country to weebs or ESLs.

1, 2, or 3?

Attached: 1651818992537.png (3360x2940, 1.71M)

Brother Dearest
Bro
Bra
Mansiere