Anyone else hack their Wii U?

Anyone else hack their Wii U?
I'm trying to install some games but didn't realize I could install them to a USB (and can't install them to the SD card?).
Do any of you have a recommendation for a Wii U compatible USB? Or does "USB" mean an external HD in the USB slot?

Attached: s-l400.jpg (400x236, 12.3K)

I just use a Sandisk

I hacked my WiiU but I could never get the usb thing to work so I put the games on the SD and installed them to the internal 32GB memory, which isnt a lot to work with. I think BotW could only fit if it was the only thing installed. This was 2017 so things could have changed massively by now

Just a normal USB drive? Not an external with its own power source?

Yep, just a 64GB thumb drive. I can't be bothered finding a drive that works without a USB splitter

If you want something not-so-permanent, you can literally use a USB thumbstick as storage. Usually works and is a really simple/cheap solution, but eventually will need to be replaced as thumbsticks are not designed for constant storage access.
Otherwise, you will need a HDD that either comes with its own power supply (i.e. NOT usb-powered or "bus powered"), or you can get a USB y-cable (google it) and hope that's enough to power the drive. Luckily, I did this well in advance and snagged one of the recommended drives for the wii u when that drive was already out of production. It's 2TB and works great with the wii u, but they don't make them anymore.

USB means external HD
Put all your apps/homebrew on the sd, load games from the external

I have an extra external with power supply sitting around but I hate having to plug everyfucking thing in and would rather use a USB for convenience.
There aren't any ways to use the SD or a microSD card that I'm already using to install the games?

I use one of those low profile usb sticks

This

Y-Cable will have disconnect problems if you plug it into the console. It works if you plug the power one into a USB to AC adapter and just plug it in.

Now I'm reading that retroarch uses an SD card?

Should I use a powered HDD for my regular Wii (that I went and used for hacking my Wii U) now that I want to dick around with my Wii normal again, or is a Y-cable good enough? Or even needed? Re-adding games to my Wii for easier GC compatibility & the like.

Wiis use SD cards though don't they?

You can, but the data transfer is ass compared to USB/HDD.

I plain couldn't make vWii run games off of an external USB, no matter what. Wiiflow runs fine off of an ad card though. Everything works.

WiiU can handle a 2.5 HDD with a Y cable, easy. It 100% works and never crashes.

I used an SSD and it disconnected infrequently until I plugged the other end into an outlet.

You pretty much have to make WiiVC injects and install them on the WiiU menu if you want to use the HDD.

I meant using the likes of USB loader and wiiflow, from the Wii mode. Injects are also a pain in the ass if you want to play NTSC games on a PAL system, or vice versa, video mode switching rarely works.

>but the data transfer
I can wait.
But does it affect the actual loading times in game or gameplay?