Metroid Prime Hunters

I remember playing Metroid Prime Hunters with friends and also sitting next to the router and playing it online. There were so many cheaters. the maps were broken and some characters/weapons too.
In a way, it was my first online/versus FPS experience and I am still amazed how Nintendo managed to make an FPS work with one hand holding the stylus and one hand on the DS, I remember it controlling really well once you got used to it.

I sometimes wonder what would've happened if Nintendo would've jumped on the "Hero Shooter" or Battle Royale bandwagon and use the Prime Hunters as a setting to create an online FPS alongside Overwatch, Valorant or PUBG.

Attached: 61J4B5CBKTL._SX385_.jpg (385x347, 33.73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5Y-pFKOf4kw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I used to main the lava dude. It was amazing having almost an arena shooter on such tiny hardware. I remember the people who played the invisible sniper bitch being the most annoying fuckers around.

Trace might have the sniper, but honestly Sylux was worse, much worse. Spire, or the lava dude as you called him, was more or less the worst character, due to his morph form getting bullied by just about everyone.

I mained that space pirate guy that could detach his upper body and his legs would remain as a stationary turret.
His signature weapon was this wierd grenade launcher and landing direct hits with that was super satisfying.

And yeah, from the way the naps are designed and how weapon /health pickups were placed paired with the projectile weapons, it basically was an arena shooter in spirit.

Unfortunately the SP campaign is really bad for Metroid standards so the game didn't get the recognition it deserved imo

Weavel also had some glitches unique to him, that allowed him to leave his lower body in places that were hard for others to deal with, while he himself could hide inside a wall.

All the cheating and exploits, not to mention the connectivity issues, is what killed the multiplayer at large.

Damn I remember Sylux. My friend group decided on banning him because his weapon was just really braindead. Auto lock hits AND vampire/HP absorb effect.
Spire was alright for getting to really obscure sniper spots with his climbing ball no one else reached.

If I had to pick a weakest char it was probably samus or kenden/kanden (the caterpillar dude).
Samus' only gimmick were stronger rockets IIRC but them being in verylimited supply made her just a hassle to play to her strengths.

And the larva/caterpillar dude just had nothing that made him standout. his special shots were easy to dodge.

the intro was dope
youtu.be/5Y-pFKOf4kw

This game jammed my shoulder button

>tfw had Wii as late middle schooler/early teenager
>played The Conduit religiously despite it being a hackers playground with glitches that even vanilla players could pull off
>still thought it was the best thing ever
I wish I could be so innocent once again.

tracer was great, forget about the sniping I'm just gonna melee you to death with my morph

Did you have a DS Lite?
I remember my friends having the same issue but I was the only one with the original DS and I still have it here. Despite a deep scratch on the touchscreen it still works perfectly, it was maybe the last piece of truly robust hardware Nintendo ever made.

DSi

>If I had to pick a weakest char it was probably samus or kenden/kanden (the caterpillar dude).
Samus had one of the best morph ball forms, to the point where in certain maps she'd just be better off rolling around and bombing everyone in sight. She might be little weak when it comes to weapon pick ups, but her morph ball more than made up for it. Don't pick a small map against Samus.

Kanden had a pretty bad morph form yes, but his Volt Driver weapon was amazing. If it wasn't for Sylux's energy drain, Noxus' ranged freeze glitch, or Trace's sniper, it would be up there as one of the best weapons. So long you didn't charge it, of course.

I remember how you could still play multiplayer even with R4 and with cheats to boot

>last piece of truly robust hardware Nintendo ever made
Considering we brought our gameboys to the playground and shit it's really amazing how rugged they were. Imagine doing that with a swtich. I feel like it wouldn't last a week under those conditions I put my GBC/GBA/SP/DS through.

they even had this wierd ranking system with stars and different colours and everyone at the top was plainly just cheating

Noxus was basically Mei from OW before OW was a thing. Freeze and then finish with a headshot.

The stars (and colors) were basically just a point system. Win matches and get nicer rank. To get an octolith on your profile you had to 100% the single player. Hope you got some of those one-time, permanently missable scans.

The thing with Noxus was that you could aim downwards, and it'd extend the reach of the freeze. I think it was because they simply just tilted the area it covered, not accounting for that the weapon had longer vertical reach than horizontal.

Never cared for the online but I was always fascinated by the main campaign and its control scheme despite unironically never really getting it down. There was just nothing like it and the only thing that feels remotely similar is black ops on DS

single player sucked there were about 2 enemy types and they were both retarded

it's been 16 years and my memory is so bad I hardly remember what I did 3 years ago.
All I remember from the single player was that the rooms and bosses felt extremely repetitive and that the end boss was in some multi story arena where you got some nuke-type gun

Anyone else play against the bots a lot? They seemed to learn from what you did, it was creepy.

yup, that info got around pretty fast even back then.
iirc it had no range vertically so you could freeze people cross map.
there were also many wall glitches where you could get inside a wall and shoot out into the arena but xou were unhittable

hell yeah. My brother and me had this wierd play pretend game mode where we teamed up against the bots and played out some made up storylines or something.
Imagination really helped as a kid.

Yeah, the game had only two "regular" boss types, and couple repeating minibosses. The game was basically multiplayer first, single player second, because the single player campaign just strings a bunch of multiplayer maps and hopes it works.

The bots weren't particularly smart, but they definitely could beat your ass if you were new.

Yeah, the game's walls weren't exactly well-programmed, so just shooting missiles at your legs let you clip just about everywhere. Not all walls had standable floor behind them, though.