27 years later

>27 years later
>still the best shooter ever made
How did they do it?

Attached: doom95.jpg (640x480, 54.45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steamdb.info/app/2280/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Its aged worse than a white woman out in the sun covered in milk.

it doesn't hold up

it's as timeless as chess or minesweep

doom 1 but only if you mod in the super shotgun

>ruining the balance with that overpowered weapon

Marathon is better. (I did however almost blow my brains out on some of those levels)

true brainlet response. you are ignorant and deserve all disdain and insults you no doubt receive from those around you.

Attached: 1644934352444 1644016669529.gif (320x240, 2.87M)

but its objectively more fun. I never get enough ammo to go wild with the chaingun/plasma rifle and rocket launcher is a boss weapon.

If anything pump action is overpowered because it pastes enemies whilst using barely any ammo

>Marathon is better.
ask me how i know you've never played marathon

I love Doom

>mod
Did someone actually make a dedicated mod for that?
>gzdoom -iwad doom.wad -file doom2.wad
>open console
>summon SuperShotgun
I guess it would be cool to have the super shotgun appear on maps though.

Attached: Screenshot from 2022-06-08 22-30-17.png (1282x991, 314.61K)

>rocket launcher is a boss weapon
The bosses don't even take splash damage. There's never a reason to use the RL on a boss unless your completely out of Cells.

There's no monster in DOOM 1 that requires the use of the super shotgun. They're all piss easy to fight. DOOM II gets shit for its level design, but the added enemy types were absolutely necessary to the DOOM formula.

2's new enemies are great but the just levels aren't fun.

I did and that response was more of a meme but I played marathon and not just marathon 1 but 2 and 3 as well. I bought them all in a bundle on IOS for like $7.99 and I fucking hate the level design so godamn much

Episode 1 is great. Episode 2 is pretty good too. Almost all of Episode 3 is garbage. At least Ultimate DOOM provided a challenge in Episode 4 (mostly the first two maps). DOOM II mostly suffers in the early middle third of the game.

Doom 2 stops being good after Dead Simple.

Extremely easy to parse. It has nearly infinite variety when it comes to map design, but every time you walk into a room, you can almost immediately parse how to handle it. Enemies are visually distinct enough and have such consistent behavior that you can immediately assess threat priority, and the satisfaction comes from puzzling out how to survive via movement. Consistent weapon damage and enemy health make it reliable to predict exactly how many shots (and therefore time) it will take to kill something, which feeds into solving the puzzle. Audio cues fit perfectly into it too, you always know exactly what enemy is where, when they are alerted, when they've been hit, and when they die.

Essentially, player skill in Doom leverages every single design element of the game which, when combined with custom maps, provides a rock solid gameplay baseline within an infinite sandbox to challenge yourself with.

Does it ever go on sale on steam?

steamdb.info/app/2280/

Attached: Screenshot from 2022-06-08 22-46-40.png (957x523, 74.1K)

Forgot thats a thing.

its better if you use MOON.wad or pol.wad

Attached: sign.jpg (697x454, 79.29K)