More games should use DnD's AC system for armors, prove me wrong

More games should use DnD's AC system for armors, prove me wrong

Attached: dd-armor-types.jpg (583x781, 268.99K)

God no D&D's AC system is fucking garbage.
Flat DR with damage values kept low is the way to go.

Sorry chud, but it alienates the masses.

No thanks, even D&D acquiesced and introduced armors made of different materials like mithril to negate the stealth bonus or adamant to negate critical hits

D&D is not a video game, AC serves a different purpose to stat-stick armor in digital games

What the fuck is ringmail

Armour with rings stuffed into it, some fake armour type that came about due to misunderstanding some old tapestries on Victorian times.

Dnds system is god awful. Most campaigns ive done just end up people in studded leather cause everything in comparison is shite

as someone making a TTRPG system based on DnD

no they should fucking not.

>prove me wrong
AC is retarded. It should be DR and dodge.

>chain mail
>plates
eh?

AC provides no distinction between dodging and tanking damage right?

Not exactly. AC is a statistic which combines blocking, dodging, parrying, not penetrating the armor to deal any damage, enemy being too tough etc. There are ways to gain damage reduction, e.g. stoneskin spell, which reduces physical damage taken by flat 10 points until it absorbs a certain amount of damage. Or resistance to X damage type, which does the same.

>>>>>studded leather

Whats wizards hit die? If d4 based

AC is oversimplified to make real life calculations easier, making wearing heavy armor and having huge dexterity functionally the same. We don't have to use the same system for computer games and can implement more ways to simulate different types of defence.

For me, its a druid with wooden armor

Unironically best system was in fallout 1 and 2. DT + DR + AC

Attached: 1648660100509.gif (498x465, 404.33K)

AC is mechanically a dodge. And it's so fucking retarded.

brigandine

How so

>best armor is wearing no armor because of dex bonuses
yeah no

because I said so

DR for armor
Dodge for lack of armor
Absorb for any defence gained through magic

It works only in concept to simplify things but realistically its just one step of simplification that isn't needed. Distinguishing evasion and armor protection is not difficult and provides a meaningful difference. What if you wanted to have a weapon or spell that spread out in a cone for hitting dodgy targets easier? Under the AC system it would damage a person in heavy armor the same, unless you introduce convoluted extra rules and exceptions which just a roundabout way of doing evasion vs armor.

First there is a check for AC (your dodge chance), then there is a DT (How much raw damage will be soaked by armor) and lastly there is DR (percent of passed damage which will be reduced by same armor).
It just most realistic representation of armor in games.

its based on race (default on d8) and you dont get HP increases based on your hit die after level ups

Which edition?