Perfect Games

I think I have a few games I can say almost definitively are without flaws.

>Tetris (NES)
I have to specify the NES version here. People don't realize that some earlier versions of Tetris don't have a soft drop, making them fucking suck. The BPS Famicom version of Tetris is not fun to play.
The NES version, released in America, is the first version of Tetris to get everything right. I think it's highly taken for granted how important the DETAILS are in Tetris. Tetris is not a perfect game by default. You have to get the details right.
As for why not GB Tetris, it's slightly stiffer.

>Joust
I don't have as much to say here. But it's a game with solid mechanics and challenging gameplay, a great scoring system, and multiplayer which can be either cooperative OR competitive. There's nothing in this game that is bad or broken, but that alone wouldn't make it perfect. It's also a whole lot of fun on top of that. It holds up. It holds up really well. The movement and physics are leagues above, for example, Mario Bros., a game it inspired (and I personally really like Mario Bros, but Joust obviously has much better controls than Mario Bros' non-adjustable jumps)

that's kind of it actually. pretty short list. maybe you have one. tell me if you do.

Attached: 1648723177368.jpg (826x871, 40.95K)

>maybe you have one
Pinball 3D

I've got your perfect game right here

Attached: 1646985944999.gif (224x336, 952.32K)

chess
>smug s*yjak

Attached: 1654687729467.jpg (976x720, 102.89K)

Minesweeper

has level design
level design is always flawed

caring if a game has any flaws is pretty gay

Attached: fallout Viva new vegas.png (2560x1440, 3.56M)

Pinball 3D's level design is perfect.

It's not like I'll only play games with no flaws
That would be retarded
It's just interesting to think about
NES Tetris and Joust are nowhere near my favorite games
Well, Joust would be somewhere close to top 25
And for Tetris, I'm more of a TGM guy

Attached: 1654449059079.gif (600x758, 258.59K)

Even as a kid I hated playing Joust since it didn't feel fun to control

Perfect games are simple and boring.
Being simple and boring is a flaw.
Therefore, there are no perfect games.

Putting it in objective terms, regardless of your feelings, Joust's mechanics were advanced for 1982 and rarely matched going through the entire 80s. Think of how many games on the NES used rigid jump arcs, even after Super Mario Bros.
Joust had FULL air control in a time where that was very uncommon. It was probably the reason why Super Mario Bros ended up with a focus on good air control. Japanese devs knew of Joust, it directly inspired Balloon Fight and Mario Bros of course.

Tetris and Joust are not boring by virtue of their difficulty curves
Both games are more challenging than the average game, and ramp up quickly
So you're wrong on the "boring" part, and also, "simple" isn't a flaw at all.

I'm big into Joust and I've played a fair bit of Vs. Balloon Fight (superior to the NES version in my opinion)
the ONE flaw I can think of with Joust is the nature of the screen itself, wherein you go from the edge of the right side and appear from the left and vice versa
the problem here is that you can find yourself in-between two sides, which can become confusing for orientation when you're not entirely sure which one you're in
this is a much bigger problem in Balloon Fight since when an enemy falls they'll sway from side to side, making them go back and forth between them both which is a nightmare
here are some games I consider to be a 10/10 anyway, they approach what I would call flawless, or are at least with so few flaws that it doesn't stop them knocking their intended design goals out of the park
>Ghost Trick
>DKC Tropical Freeze
>Rocket League
>Joust
>Inside
>Journey
>Katana Zero
>Hollow Knight
>Yoshi's Island
a lot of those are quite simple, but I find simpler games are usually closer to being perfect since very little stands in the way of their design goals

personal 10/10s but with more obvious flaws, although ones that don't stop it being a 10 to me:
>Shadow of the Colossus
>Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
>TimeSplitters 2
>Metroid Prime

Attached: doug-nhung-joust2-final.jpg (1038x1500, 362.35K)

also as for attempting to fix this perceived flaw, I think the game being widescreen might help, since it would allow the nature of the horizontal speed to be maintained, although there is a certain charm to endlessly maintaining flight horizontally, so if you hit a wall on either side and bounced off that might not feel so good
who knows. don't play Joust 2 by the way it's an abomination. I really wish someone would create a modern take on Joust and Balloon Fight, combined they both share some fantastic game design ideas; for example I much prefer the balloon run thing in Vs Balloon Fight where you have to pop them all, similar to the egg hunt

Attached: fkkfdg.jpg (1495x1068, 1.09M)

God hand unironically. I have yet to encounter another game where you get flashier the better you get at the game.

>DKC Tropical Freeze
One of my favorite games
But
Two flaws
Dixie Kong making Diddy Kong completely obsolete
They should have given Diddy some other power instead of having two flying powerups with one being obviously better than the other
The other flaw: Too many checkpoints
Hard mode kind of fixes this, but I'd prefer if Normal mode just stuck with a one checkpoint per level limit. It really breaks up the flow of the game when you die and are only sent back like a minute. It encourages sloppy play and repeated deaths moreso than if you had to replay a larger chunk. The game could have fostered a flow state and sense of accomplishment from retrying levels until you finally get through it, and that doesn't happen when there's so many checkpoints.
The K levels are excellent for this

Tetris and Joust are boring by virtue of their simplicity.
Both games are unengaging for anyone above their archaic arcade design sensibilities.
So you're double wrong. And also a huge fag.

Complexity is not quality
Simple can be better than complex
Hotline Miami's one-hit kills are more satisfying than most complex action game combat systems
And you're not a cooler gamer for thinking complicated strategy games and WRPGs are above action games