Why do indie devs love this game so much?

Why do indie devs love this game so much?

Attached: earthbound-title-520x400.jpg (520x400, 24.96K)

Do they though?

Easy formula to replicate that wasn't really done much until Undertale popularised it. Quirky characters + goofy but actually its serious plot = profit.

>piss easy to replicate the gameplay and artstyle
>everyone knows it because of smash bros and memes
>instant gamer cred
>experimental and unique moments
>whoa so deep "story"

Attached: FUFfEpCWUAYroxJ.jpg (880x880, 58.35K)

Name 15

This, every earthbound clone only copies the style but there is not enough substance to it. Like most of these devs don't get the point of earthbound, but there others that even though had the inspiration in this game, actually tried to make something that's so different and unique it pisses me off everytime ignorants say wah earthbound knockoff muh depression like wtf did you play the game?

It was a really good game thats still unique to this day. And the kind of people it really stuck with are the same people who went out and made indie games.
Though honestly earthbound's influence is widely overstated.
Undertale and Lisa, the most prominent Earthbound-likes are inspired by a wide hodgepodge of games and only really take Earthbound's vibe.

bad graphics + loved for its writing is a siren song for lazy fags with no talent that think they have something interesting to say. They forget that Itoi is a professional writer that had an interesting life with rich experiences to draw from, and their life experience can be summed up by a list of anime and vidya they’ve consoomed.

It's the only JRPG that didn't filtered them.

Attached: 1507519548660.jpg (316x309, 14.21K)

Quirky

Yes

why does everyone say indie devs are so inspired by earthbound, when actually is it clearly mother 3 that most of these indie games are like? earthbound plays more like a classic, dragon quest JRPG adventure, but mother 3 is more on a linear, story focused game which is what most indie games try to be like. most of these indie games play nothing like earthbound.

Undertale
Deltarune
Lisa
Yiik
Crossing Souls
Omori
Citizens of Earth
Contact
OFF
Oddventure
Cricket: Jae’s Really Peculiar Game
Oddity
Reverie
Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass
To the Moon
Why Am I Dead At Sea
OneShot
Jackie Chan

Mother 3 isn’t significantly more linear than 2

they think complaining about indie games is the same as their dads complaining about participation trophies or something, it's how you make it look like you have something to say
also they don't know shit about games but that goes without saying here on Any Forums

not even remotely, wtf are you talking about
"being linear" wasn't invented by mother 3

Le ebin quircky humor and meta plot points. The music is pretty sweet though, I'll give them that one.

It's a great game

I think what the other user meant is that 3 is all on rails with you mostly moving through the game through predetermined chapters. 2 has a linear story but any time you can wander around around anywhere in the world and the overarching goal of find your 8 sanctuaries don't have to be done between advancing the stories (although there's no reason not to)

It's like the difference between old FF games and stuff like X and XIII.

its prequel is better anyway so I don't get it either.

Because it's one of the few games where a Japanese made game didn't look very Japanese.