Yes. The game DID age

There is virtually no medium of art that has people so fervently arguing that absolutely nothing from it ages.

Music? No musician would be upset if you thought a cavemen banging a stick on a rock has "aged".
Language? No linguistic would be upset with you if you thought someone caveman speaking in ooga's and booga's had an "aged" sense of speech
Art? Artists dont get defensive when you think a caveman stacking rocks is stupid. It has "aged".

Gamers, who literally have never built a video game or have ever been involved in their creative process at all? They got upset when you say literally any aspect of any game has aged. Why get so upset over this? Why does it hurt you on a personal level?

Unless you can all come together to acknowledge at least ONE thing from ONE game that has aged poorly, I'm going to think all of you are retarded.
Here's a topic to get you started: A lot of games with tank controls (not all of them) have aged poorly. There were advancements like adding a button to quickly turn around and changes to turning speed in further tank control games that let you see some of the age in their earlier iterations

Attached: 1654356103444.png (500x500, 151.61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TXPC2HXjrYU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtube.com/watch?v=TXPC2HXjrYU

quack

Attached: ahwve.jpg (1079x1071, 87.58K)

of course games age as a result of undeveloped technology, you have to be retarded if you think most nes games didn't age to some extent due to lack of a save function

what

This is now a kot thread

Attached: 1646402022676.jpg (597x800, 125.68K)

Kill me, Pete.

Attached: 1625822718385.png (727x727, 649.68K)

just get good and beat them within a hour you fucking shitter

Language isn't art, it's hard science.

what a fucking melvin

iot saying it's a big deal for most games (pretty stupid for longer games like mario 3 though) but you can't say that doesn't make it objectively worse than they could have been with "modern" technology

What? There is artistry to language. Some Chinese and Japanese characters are literally designed to look like real things and be mini pictures. There's artistry in even that

There's literally no excuse they're simple and short games that only thing that makes them last more than a few hours is you just being bad
modern games require saves because they're dogshit and copy pasted hundreds of the same dog shit that could be cut down to the same amount of time as a old game while being boring as shit because there's literally nothing to them
everything past the ps2 is just rancid shit

people use "it aged badly" as a non argument to imply a game is objectively inferior because it doesn't have modern sensibilities

a musician wouldn't say YO CLASSICAL MUSIC AGED POORLY because classical isn't the current pop music
a linguist wouldn't say LATIN AGED SO POORLY BRO because very few learn to speak it nowadays
if a movie critic called an old film terrible because it was in 4:3 he would be laughed straight out of the industry

games may have limitation based on the tech at the time but they do not age, only your perspective of the media evolves
tank controls haven't aged poorly, they serve a purpose, they did that purpose well. just because you stop getting used to playing with them does not make them a bad means of movement .

Attached: 1606410589978.jpg (748x748, 197.86K)

>people use "it aged badly" as a non argument to imply a game is objectively inferior because it doesn't have modern sensibilities
too bad there's a legit argument there and it's possible for something that comes out 20 years after the first thing to just be better. not different, but better. crazy concept, I know.

When someone says "This game did not age well" it implies that with the evolution of games, better solutions were found for a certain game mechanic or new techniques for game design, of course, we are analysing it retroactively and it isn't fair to judge an old game unfairly because of it, but we are still bothered by the worse system, I had game I liked back then which I can't stand because of flaws that are common sense nowadays.

I think that people who get to hung up on what the phrase literally means are just being pedantic, yes we know that the literal meaning isn't correct, games certainly don't age, but what is implied by the phrase sometimes might be the truth. Although, I will admit that some use the phrase as a meme or wrongly.

>better solutions
good luck finding a better solution for most games back then
almost all of them would not work the same if you just changed a camera and controls
resident evil 1 would be dogshit if you made it third person or first person
same with all metal gear solid games
these solutions were used because they made the creator's vision work

It's not about making it work the same, but better. Of course, I don't want every game to have the same design principle or etc. because that would be boring, one aspect I like about old game so much is because they are more experimental, smaller games with smaller budget and with new ideas.
It might seem I'm contradicting myself but I never said those flaws weren't valuable, they were necessary for (theoretically) better solutions to arrive, and they give some games their charm.
RE1 remake is a good example of modernizing some annoying parts of the original while still keeping the core of it intact, which makes it more fun than the original (imo).

Aging implies that something becomes different over time.

If I were to whip out my NES from storage and play Duck Tales in 2022, it would be the same exact video game as it was 30 years ago.
Aging is a meaningless faux criticism for people who don't know how to articulate their complaints.

The issue is people will say a game has aged when it was just always bad. E.g. many old games look hideous because of poor artistic direction, striving for realism when it wasn't possible with the technology at the time, poor use of graphical capabilities of the hardware.

Meanwhile many games from the past look great and even modern games could learn a lot from them e.g. the way Spyro the Dragon's level of detail effects make objects in the distance blend in with the look of the skyboxes. Most games use LOD as a purely technical way to improve performance which results in far off objects looking ugly and clashing with the overall scene yet here's a game over 20 years old outdoing them.

Does this mean Spyro has "aged well"? No, it means the developers just put thought into how the game would look and as as result the game always has and always will look good. Likewise many games from the same period are just ugly because they were always ugly.

>it would be the same exact video game as it was 30 years ago.
Except when people speak of "aging" they're talking about how the mechanics, flow, or handling of the games aren't remotely tolerable anymore due to years of developments or standardizations in the various game genres and it makes the games feel terrible to play. It requires you to effectively pretend that things that were acceptable at the time are acceptable now. This isn't like going from 4K to 1080p or something, this is like going from a 4K smart TV and flipping through your TV guide to having to physically get up and walk to your black and white TV to manually turn the knob to change your channels and adjust your antenna.

Playing something like XCOM UFO is like breaking your arms to try and do anything. Playing Fallout is an exercise in testing your patience because you have to cycle through a bunch of options that aren't very apparent or intuitive(Especially when it comes to 2 and the dynamite) and everything is hidden by a dozen menus with a bunch of mechanics feeling unintuitive or unexplained. Playing a lot of old first person games is like pulling teeth because the control schemes are unbelievably awful.

"Quality of life" wasn't even seemingly a concept up until around the PS1 era. There's tons of games that stand the test of time, Deus Ex, Doom, Mario, Duke Nukem, and Rollercoaster Tycoon to name a few. But then there's games like XCOM, Ultima, Arena, Daggerfall, AVP, the old Sim Cities, the old Worms games, and so on. If you want the perfect example of this let me point you to virtually every Atari 2600 game that existed. There's a couple standouts like Breakout or Asteroid that still stand the test of time, but that's because their concept is extremely simple and their games are intuitive and to the point. You could wipe out basically all games prior to the NES and the only things people would weep for would be arguably those few handful of good Atari 2600 games and Pong.