Hidden Gems?

Sup Any Forums,

As I've gotten older (90's kid) I've realized it's *REALLY* fucking hard to get ahold of some of the classics of the PS1, Ps2/Xbox era. Fuck, it's a chore to even find people who remember them because gaming wasn't popular or looked kindly upon then. I'm on a mission to try and preserve and emulate what is out there before it's lost to time.

What are some of your favorites that often go unnoticed from "Hidden Gem" discussions, I'll go first
>Pic related

Attached: 71jLGy+S7nL._SL1000_.jpg (714x1000, 142.34K)

i mean, metal arms is a cult classic, and is pretty easy to find roms of

THIS GAME, however...

Attached: yo.jpg (308x445, 36.53K)

I'll give you something better.

Attached: 1578289965633.jpg (800x797, 89.05K)

Also dropping this one for never getting a sequel, having an amazing physics engine and a dope soundtrack released specifically for this game by Cold.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 42.34K)

Freedom Fighters is a cool game and probably cheap

Oh make no mistake, I realize Metal Arms has somewhat of a following but I'm just compiling shit that IS super hard to find so I have record of it.

I don't wanna say "It's better than X" like some leddit arguement about genders.

I do feel games were MUCH more unique and thought out then compared to now.

I remember that, was ahead of it's time by quite a bit. It wasn't "Black" but it was unique.

>I do feel games were MUCH more unique and thought out then compared to now.
absolutely, it really is a natural result of fidelity rising through out gaming history, as it rose you needed more budget and more man power, so its much harder to experiment in game design, or just make something that isnt a "guaranteed success" on paper. 7th gen was really the last bastion of those types of games, and indies still really havent caught up to that gen unfortunately. the days of 20 dudes in a basement being able to create something in the same stratosphere as larger devs and pubs are long gone

gonna keep posting my "only you played this" games

Attached: rtsps1.png (220x220, 101.33K)

Agreed.

Yeah please do! I'll do the same.

Attached: Tiny_Tank_Coverart.png (252x252, 135.78K)

PC game when Steam was an infant.

Attached: Tvbox.jpg (220x314, 23.5K)

actually going a little out of base here, but after i made that post i immediately remembered pic related, it isnt for everyone, but its the most recent example of something that felt fresh and reminded me of the times of just looking at a game on the shelf for the first time and finding out about its existence. my buddy and i were literally just perusing the xbox store when it popped up and we gave it a download. had a lot of fun with it for about a week, but its lack of a playerbase and shit netcode killed it pretty much the moment it came out

Attached: raids.jpg (512x288, 63.96K)

I vaguely remember this, it was riding on the heels of Gears of War right?

only in the sense that it had over the shoulder shooting. It was a weird combination of Destiny raids and loot, asymmetrical multiplayer, and a hero shooter. Three players played through the maps/missions with pretty intricate objectives, while one player could Invade and try to fuck them up. There were even boss encounters that had pretty heavy mechanics. You could get pretty crazy guns/abilities for each character, and it had a very simple yet satisfying melee combat system. I know it relaunched at some point, but it was already too late at that point to save it. I'd love to see them try again, but Nintendo proably still has mercurysteam on metroid duty.

Anyways, here is a 7th gen gem I dont see almost anyone ever talk about. You could change forms from a stealth/wall climber, a heavy bomber, and a swordsman.

Attached: Alter_Echo.jpg (264x376, 18.97K)

obviously digimon is still a popular IP, but i never see anyone talk about this game. I loved it as a kid and Im pretty sure it was my first exposure to a card game/deck building

Attached: 479294-digimon-digital-card-battle-playstation-manual.jpg (800x796, 169.12K)

Ah I see. Kind of like how "Brink" turned out then.

Here's another 7th gen Adventure game that you never hear.

Attached: A1EphoC9koL._SL1500_.jpg (1141x1500, 345.17K)

i think this had slightly less of a cult following than metal arms, still remember the shark and upside down guns. cant remember if i downloaded it when it was on games with gold, hope that i did.

Attached: Armed_and_Dangerous_box_cover.png (266x375, 195.13K)

I remember this one, there was another one on the PS1 I believe too where the Digimon would turn into a ghost and shit like a demented Tamagotchi if you neglected it.

played the shit out of the demo of pic related on PS1
can honestly say ive never heard of this game, impressive
thats the OG digimon world, i didnt appreciate it as a kid, should probably emulate it some day. as a kid i was obsessed with grinding shit in digimon world 2, but a lot of people seem to really not like that one lol

Attached: Brave_Fencer_Musashi.jpg (316x316, 28.92K)

>What are some of your favorites that often go unnoticed from "Hidden Gem" discussions
Zombie Revenge, it's criminally underrated and overlooked. The game is a beat em up spin-off of The House of The Dead. And in my eyes, it's crazy just how well SEGA did making a 3D beat em up at a time when nobody else could do it correctly.

8.5/10
+funny House of The Dead voice acting
+great beat em up gameplay
+decent weapon variety

-only negative is that not everyone enjoys beat em ups

Attached: Zombie-Revenge-1-169596-1925045659.jpg (765x683, 418.51K)

That's great, you can tell just from the cover art that it is in someway connected to the "House of The Dead" franchise and their quarter sucking boss battles lol.

does anyone remember playing this for the playstation?

Attached: rabbitplatformer.jpg (686x683, 158.52K)

i wasnt the biggest fan of this in particular, but i remember my friend who enjoy strategy games really liked it on the gamecube
never experienced the dreamcast, i wanted it and my brother wanted an n64, we got a ps1 lol. probably for the best my parents didnt get a dreamcast in hindsight

Attached: Goblin_Commander_Cover.jpg (256x363, 32.82K)

>source code is just out there ready for the taking
>no one will touch it because they don't want to be sued to death. Meaning i'll never get a great source port
>stuck emulating this shit forever
God I hate this fucking world...

Attached: 1614805388767.png (128x128, 25.59K)

just like the last one i posted, i never played this myself, but watched my buddy play it quite a bit back in the day, seemed neat
im still ass blasted mad at blizzard for buying swinging ape studios, cancelling starcraft ghost and any possible metal arms sequel, and then regulating them to WoW or whatever the fuck

Attached: 51XDXSY3CCL._SY445_.jpg (318x445, 36.39K)

It's even worse when you hear the story of the kid on Leddit who ripped apart a OG Xbox dev kit because it "looked cool" and set Xbox emulation back years and quite possibly never to full potential

here is a rare 8th gen game with that 7th gen energy
>Ah I see. Kind of like how "Brink" turned out then.
same user, but as someone who also was in on brink at launch, raiders of the lost planet was wayyy more functional that brink at launch. raiders had trouble matchmaking, but was perfectly fine in a match, while brink was just busted to the core. crazy part is i played brink before launch at quakecon and me and all my friends fucking loved it, but it must have been on LAN, cause the quakecon matches were the most functional matches i ever played of that game

Attached: Overlord_pc_uk.jpg (250x325, 27.86K)

this looks really fucking neat

Deep Water, a low budget title on PS2. It's an open world game in which you sail from town to town to solve simple fetch quests, upgrade your weapons and boat or hunt for giant sea monsters. The game is ridiculously cryptic and the shitty translation doesn't help either. But I still love this game.

Attached: _-Deep-Water-PS2-_(2).jpg (640x448, 58.04K)

Fucking loved this game.

Yeah it should have been a fucking crime what happened to Swinging Ape.

I really like Lost Kingdoms on Gamecube.

7th gen really was the last gen of the 3d platformers, i remember this one having pretty creative boss fights, you piloted a mech for the final boss. also think it had some tony hawk-esque platforming in it, i have the ROM on my PC, but havent touched it yet

Attached: 1469_IGDB-272x380.jpg (272x380, 31.04K)

The UI reminds me heavily of a PS2 era game where you ride a dragon and do shit.

EA, Activision, and microsoft are like harbingers of death when it comes to videogames.
They are proof that corporate mindset just can't sustain actual artistic endeavors at all and will thrive on ruining any actual creative projects.
Yeah that one or the SC1 source code. We technically have other kits like that, but that one might have had who knows what honestly.
Could of been data for alpha of a game that was being developed on the xbone, info for the console rendering process, anything really.
The little retard just decided to erase all that important data for a shitty build.

Attached: 1611816080757.jpg (147x147, 6.88K)

True. It handled like shit, I was apart of a SAMP gaming community at the time of launch and we were all hyped as fuck for it but it blew ass despite having a pretty fun gameplay aspect. The networking really drove the nail in the coffin.

I really wish Alter Echo was popular enough to get a remake or remaster
its a cool game

You mean Drakengard?

I really wish they (Not Nintendo) would bring back party games.

>Pic related

Attached: Fuzion.jpg (500x500, 72.32K)