Source code for something leaks

>source code for something leaks
>DUDE THINK WHAT EVERYONE CAN DO WITH IT
>nothing ever comes of it

Attached: Frog.png (900x843, 16.93K)

>redditfrog

imagine how far gaming would be already if developers were not massive faggots who develop and use proprietary game engines

John Carmack will forever be a hero for giving his engines away after the games built with it are of a certain age

Attached: ok.png (720x356, 529.49K)

Dumb frogposter
Even if you have the source code games are fairly complex and cumbersome pieces of software to build. I know well-known games with source code preserved that simply can't be built anymore without investing a lot of time due to the build system(with specific compiler, libs, etc) being decommissioned.

And that's not even talking about documentation and legality.

>Do something with it
>Get sued
Source code is useful to learn and discover things, you can't actually build from it

Yeah that's how it goes
Reditors sperge and jerk themselves off and everyone forgets it happened since nothing actually changed

Attached: 1654557807819.jpg (400x387, 35.27K)

Oh like the Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 PC ports from this year? Fucking frogposters.

>gets bought out by bethesda
>haha proprietary engine with middleware time
very sad

Its not reddit. Go back youre too new.

>Team Fortress 2 2017 source code leaks
>the game has been plagued with bots ever since

Because the second a company sees you're using their source code they're gonna sue you for all your and your children's money. Having source code is pointless if you don't have permission to use it this is why Carmack is a god. He said "here's my source code, make aswesome games, new versions, or whatever the fuck you want with it." That's how Doom thrived until this day. If I use the source code of Super Mario Advance to make a new Mario game or otherwise, Nintendo is gonna take my fucking house.

They were made from decompilation, not a leak you absolute fucking retard.

Decompilation ≠source leak.

>≠

Attached: soylent.jpg (1000x1243, 254.3K)

but that is how we got TF2 skinned Quake 3 which is pretty fun
if more companies would clean up and release their old source code that would be great because then people could do game preservation/modding without all the legal minefield bullshit. Tim Sweeney said he'd do it for UE1 but then didn't because he's an asshole
instead they all have to keep everything on the shelf so they can keep a low bar on their rereleases and remasters
worse yet when they fucking lose the source

at least EA released the source to the game dll in the command and conquer remasters

Attached: derm.png (470x694, 205.93K)

yeah i think about that too
its kinda sad, but if people are going to put effort into programming something its better for them to do it in a way they can monetise

those are rare exceptions

source/decompilation hair splitting aside, OoT and SM64 were "leaked" by people that were actively intending to immediately use it. Other source leaks were basically just dumped out there with no one ready for it.

It's like leaving a bag of fresh McDonalds in the middle of a sidewalk. Just because it's there doesn't people anyone's actually going to take it.

meds

Go back.

>Go back
>.
Go back

>Op does nothing to contribute

Whatever that thing you are basedjacking about probably sucks (:

Don't think that was his point at all

>DUDE THINK WHAT EVERYONE CAN DO WITH IT
>OP is a subset of everyone
>OP does nothing with the source
Be the change you want to see.

Worse something happens but in private (because fear of lawsuits) so only like 10 people in some chatroom get to enjoy it.

Something I've learned is to never trust cuckgrammers on what they say can be done. All they do is hype people up and then say "soon(tm) ;)" for years.

the crows will