Oblivion was quite obviously a better game than Skyrim

Oblivion was quite obviously a better game than Skyrim.

Attached: 2AE0FBFD-DD0E-48E2-A532-AF2BAB33AFCD.jpg (800x600, 112.06K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nsXttSA0lng
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/22500
youtube.com/watch?v=0JFErSRjC8A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Images you can feel SOUL from

I don't know much about game development. Why did Oblivion have such better writing than Skyrim? Who left or joined the development team? I want to know who I can credit for great stories, and who to blame for the Thieves' Guild.

It was too good. Whenever I try and replay it I remember too much. That rarely happens for other big games.

I still can't believe that bethesda achieved peak fantasy aestetics and changed it in the next game in favor of muh grity and dark atmosphere.

Skyrim feels drab and depressing. Oblivion is pure comfy. The lute music, the bright colors, the cottages. The only thing that sucks are the character models. Everything else is lovely.

>was
When did it stop being a better game than Skyrim?

>this bait
Oblivion's writing is vastly inferior to skyrim, your character is a no name prisoner while martin is the main character of the main quest, theres like 1 interesting quest in oblivion vs skyrim's nearly infinitely replayable entire roster of quests. The fact that skyrim is still talked about like the very first elder scrolls game ever and oblivion has faded into obscurity should be enough to tell you

Jeremy SOUL
youtube.com/watch?v=mNIGXJbpjaQ

Emil let his daughter write Oblivion, whereas he himself wrote all the later Bethesda games, hence the massive decline in quality.

Any news from the other boards?

Attached: I've been better.jpg (1280x720, 197.64K)

weak bait

There's a reason nearly every ENB that survived from LE to SE is bright and full of contrast, and why most everyone's favorite hold is the Rift. Color matters.

The pacing is stronger in Oblivion, the Daedric prince quests are varied and flavorful, the main faction quests may only have one direction but are fully realized and fleshed out (compare Skyrim "master of the thieves guild despite never stealing anything" "archmage of the college with 15 in all spell schools" "must become a werewolf to progress" factions), and the main story is bittersweet yet cathartic.

>I saw a Any Forumscel the other day... foul creatures

I don't think you're fully aware of what zoomers have done to the industry.

>your character is a no name prisoner while martin is the main character of the main quest
That's a good thing, though...

youtube.com/watch?v=nsXttSA0lng

>maybe you're the Nerevarine, maybe you're not
>convince desert religious losers you're their messiah regardless with no magic bullshit
>only the Emperor says you're more than just a common criminal
>become the Hero of Kvatch by having balls made of ebony and killing demons

>"DRAGONBORN"
>"IT IS MY HONOR"

>better game than Skyrim
With graphic worse than in Morrowind.

Attached: kek.png (192x225, 34.02K)

Replaying Skyrim now, I hate how walking past any random NPC has them repeat the same one piece of non-generic dialog.
Yes, I understand that Ysolda or whatever wants to study the market stalls to run her own inn one day. Why can't she also just have generic "Hello." or "Good evening." dialogues?
I genuinely miss the random city talk that went in circles over this lazier shit.

It's not possible to enjoy oblivion without this mod.
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/22500

Its just that skyrims writing and quests are so fucking samey and uninteresting, everything else feels unique and captivating. And the few times it tries to do something cool like killing the emperor it ends up in nothing
Even Oblivion isnt that well written, some memorable quests though

>Mannimarco
With one name, your argument is invalid.

Mannimarco questline was top kino. BTFO the College of Incelhold by orders of magnitude.

Mannimarco was a weak autist and died in two hits, better my ass. At least Ancano can actually kill you.

Unrelated but does anyone know why threads are getting deleted?

>kill a generic leveled high elf in a cave
vs.
>country-trotting adventure to recover lost artifacts to prevent Dominion domination
k

Oblivion is better than Skyrim in zero ways

I definitely liked it more in regards to quests, cities not feeling super tiny, and general RPG mechanics like actually being able to make spells. Some things like the level scaling are bad, but that can easily be fixed with mods. Meanwhile Skyrim's quests are just outright bad, and the only way mods address that is giving you new content so you can ignore the vanilla content. I feel like Skyrim was in many ways just one step forward and two steps back.

>"archmage of the college with 15 in all spell schools"
You fire a single spell to complete both games' mage guild quest lines

>country-trotting adventure to recover lost artifacts to prevent Dominion domination
It was LITERALLY 2 quests. It was 2 fucking quests long. And the main plot was already the shitty, boring natsoc elves.

Attached: 6isncy.jpg (888x499, 125.66K)

>"DRAGONBORN"
>"IT IS MY HONOR"
Well yeah, you killed a dragon and absorbed its essence and can do shouts really easily. That doesn't leave much room for doubt.

VI will be the same, we'll finally get open cities naturally without loading screens, only for the LOD to be so absolutely fucked beyond all repair and having trees and grasses pop into the world only when you get exactly right next to them.

faggot, caring about 'muh character origin' in a fucking rpg.

oblivion was much better and the skyrim faggotry revolves around 'muh dragonborn', no matter what type of character you play. Its boring. A khajit dragonborn? Of the nothern profecies? A draconian? A redguard?

Yeah leave me alone.

Any news from the other provinces.

Attached: 49351-1557609692-1918773786.png (1080x1080, 1.68M)

God I hope that cities will be open again. That way things like Daggerfall esque climbing or Morrowind esque levitation could be in the game without problems. Skyrim was sadly made with the Xbox 360's piddly memory in mind hence everything being closed up, and even on PC Open Cities can have issues. I'm sure that someone will mod in a Dyndolod equivalent after not too long anyways.

That's exactly the problem.

youtube.com/watch?v=0JFErSRjC8A

Attached: _nirnposting__me_and_the_boys_by_naughtynutmeg2145_ddi6f3y-pre.jpg (1363x586, 105.34K)

Vanilla?
Fuck no

The point is, in Morrowind, you don't really have to be a dunmer to claim to be the Nerevarine, because whether or not you actually are Nerevar is irrelevant. You prove yourself to be competent enough to take on Dagoth'Ur, and that's all that matters. Same for Oblivion, you don't have to be Cyrodiil native, you could be a shitty argonian thief who is given a second chance at life.

Yes, you're "crossing the border" in Skyrim, and imperials have been dragonborn before, but the thu'um is something that's only really sacred to norn, and is specifically stated to be a norn superpower. That tremendously limits the narrative, beyond trying to fuck with people as an altmer representing Akatosh while the altmer are growing more and more suicidal as a race and want to, almost collectively, destroy reality.

Skyrim is one of my favourite games ever. No game has yet had such a perfect balance of aesthetic, sound design, and music. Bethesda open world so obviously great there. It feels so good to traverse the world and looks and sounds so perfect. And I have not installed a single mod in any of my playthroughs

>you have lived to see Any Forums become so revisionist, so contrarian, skyrim is no longer the best written tes and oblivion McClose50obliviongatesbecause reasons is somehow better.
I can guarantee, guranfucking Capital T you retards will be sucking skyrim's dick as soon as the new tes comes out i swear to god.
You people don't even stop and think about how good you have it with werewolves, the thieves guild actually being a guild, the main character ACTUALLY being somebody in skyrim, you don't think you just go back and forth constantly switching what games you like based on what the rest of the internet likes im so fucking tired of it

>And I have not installed a single mod in any of my playthroughs
Believable up until that point

> Generic ultra-saturated Tolkien fantasy with cotton swab trees and Play-Doh fields in the distance

You might want to visit your eye doctor to renew your prescription.

man you should really try one of the good elder scrolls games

so what the fuck are you supposed to do be a random nobody who the greybeards teach for no reason
think before you type bitches

They fucked up the aesthetics for sure, Oblivion looks so out of place between Morrowind and Skyrim, but on it's own, it is the best looking.

how about you just don't write a story where you have to be the chosen one

This isn’t me covering for Bethesda’s laziness, but mods go a long way in correcting this.

>boomers in 2006 shit themselves from these unbelievably realistic graphics

The main quest sucked
Didnt make any sense to let you start the game thinking you needed to follow it.

If your game's narrative is going to be taking sides, then you better make the entire game involve taking sides. Imperials vs. Stormcloaks (good), Penitus Oculatus vs. Dark Brotherhood (at least it exists?), Companions vs. Silver Hand (fuck your vanilla werewolf mechanics), Thieves' Guild vs. Mjoll (fuck your shitty nonsensical story), and... oh, right, the College's antagonist was one (1) altmer acting as a rogue agent from the Thalmor.

>but the thu'um is something that's only really sacred to norn, and is specifically stated to be a norn superpower.
That's why the "dragonborn" is redefined as a blessing any race can receive. And nothing in the lore said that only nords can learn the thu'um; hell, Tiber Septim could and some stories say he was a breton.

My problem with Oblivion's music was the lack of silence. I guess a more dynamic music system is out of reach for the Creation Engine but I had to put some blank .mp3 files so the music could stop sometimes.

Attached: morrowind_hiking_by_greyannis-d6ixpe6.jpg (1024x576, 214.09K)